• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can secure text messaging like Tigertext be read by the NSA?

gerradfaegan

Can secure text messaging apps like Tigertext be read by the government or anyone else?
What about standard SMS text messages?
Is there any form of electronics communication that the government or NSA can’t read or capture?

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
if you talk about plain text
i guess theres nothing you can do about it
maybe you can create your own code and make them more difficult to decrypt

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Yes it can.. The better question is what are you trying to hide?

Seriously tho.. unless ur planning to blow something up, the nsa doesnt care about ur drug discussions. And no court in their right mind would allow it as evidence in a non terrorism related case. And creating a code to encrypt is also a waste of time.. The us has entire compounds dedicated to crypto stuff.

System Name Chaos
Processor Intel Core i5 4590K @ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z97 MPower MAX AC
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 + MX4
Memory 4x4 GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400 GT/s CL11
Video Card(s) Palit GTX 1070 Dual @ stock
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750 Platinum
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro (MX Red)
Why would you even care about this? Do you really think they have nothing better to do than read your sext messages? And even if it was so, you can't really consider yourself so special and different as to think they haven't read thousands of messages like that already. People are predictable, and they are typically boring after a while. You won't matter to them unless you really push your luck by (pretending to be) arranging a bombing of a densely populated residential area.

Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Using techniques and programs to get around it just flags you to be looked into further. Cause it's a "Oh he has something to hide..." kind of reaction.

Hell you making this thread probably got you flagged. Not that anyone will check it unless theirs a bigger picture of you that warrants including this piece.

It comes down to this.. IF you have nothing to hide, stop being paranoid. And if you do have something to hide, I'll read about you in a week or so in a LEO bulletin.

Last edited:
It comes down to this.. IF you have nothing to hide, stop being paranoid. And if you do have something to hide, I'll read about you in a week or so in a LEO bulletin.

I'm sure many in East Germany licked the boots of the Stasi as well. Hey, if you've got nothing to hide you should love your slavery. Disgusting.

These guys are the very best on the planet who have all the resources they need (or can think of) and also who are paid to read everything what's out there... so go figure.... they can probably read pretty much everything what's out there as a communication standard (most likely including stuffs like SSL and whatnot).. so perhaps the only thing what could keep them away (for a while) is something which you make for yourself and only share with the people who you want to communicate with... but that would make you even more suspicious :p

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Hey, if you've got nothing to hide you should love your slavery.

A lack of privacy is in no way even remotely close to slavery.

Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
I'm sure many in East Germany licked the boots of the Stasi as well. Hey, if you've got nothing to hide you should love your slavery. Disgusting.

That is the most liberal and "disgusting" use of the word slavery I've seen in awhile.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
They can, but only if they want to.
No offence meant but probably you're not important enough for them......
Look at it this way, imagine the millions of texts sent daily, they won't be vetted all of them..
Unless you use certain words which might trigger their attention.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
System Name Chaos
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 1 TB WD Green (Idle timer off) + 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse CM Storm Recon
You all may refuse to be watched, but you're not really manifesting your refusal, only your peaceful, silent protest. And it amounts to exactly nothing.

People can beat "the system". But the odds are not very good at all, because "the system" only needs to organize a couple tenths, hundreds, maybe even thousands of men and women. People need to organize in tens, hundreds of millions to be able to make a difference. I don't see it happening right now.

I suppose the majority needed for a drastic change to happen sadly choose to forfeit their need and right to privacy, in exchange for a sense of security. A false security they so desperately want to believe is real.

Take it from "the man" or get out on the street and yell real loud about it. Who knows, maybe several dozen millions of people will do the same.

D

Deleted member 24505

the GOV in america likes to instill fear into the populace, so they can justify the more draconian security measures.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
are we not entitled to privacy

Of course you are entitled to privacy. If you want privacy, live entirely off the grid. If you want to use the infrastructure that was mostly paid for by the government, then you give up that privacy when using that infrastructure.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
You all may refuse to be watched, but you're not really manifesting your refusal, only your peaceful, silent protest. And it amounts to exactly nothing.

People can beat "the system". But the odds are not very good at all, because "the system" only needs to organize a couple tenths, hundreds, maybe even thousands of men and women. People need to organize in tens, hundreds of millions to be able to make a difference. I don't see it happening right now.

I suppose the majority needed for a drastic change to happen sadly choose to forfeit their need and right to privacy, in exchange for a sense of security. A false security they so desperately want to believe is real.

Take it from "the man" or get out on the street and yell real loud about it. Who knows, maybe several dozen millions of people will do the same.

tl;dr because Keeping up with the Kardashians is on, I want to know what Kim and Kanye named their baby.

System Name Chaos
Display(s) Dell U2515H
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse CM Storm Recon
Of course you are entitled to privacy. If you want privacy, live entirely off the grid. If you want to use the infrastructure that was mostly paid for by the government, then you give up that privacy when using that infrastructure.

Now let's not go justifying such invasions by calling them a price to be paid. I realize this is most probably just a cynical remark, but I need to reply nonetheless.

No matter the actual value of "keeping peace" and law + order, it's cost must never go beyond what they represent. Is it lawful for me to keep you under surveillance? Why should it be any different for any government or any authority?

On the other hand, the real enemy is giving real value to anything other than progress. We are artificially creating layers of society based on pieces of paper with pretty pictures on it. How did we get it so wrong? People do not need money. It is not an incentive, it is a blackmail. Every last one of us has done at least one productive thing at one point in our lives, completely free in every conceivable way. And we did it because we felt it was important, right, or simply because we liked it.

I would gladly spend my days contributing as a service tech in a science lab, for instance, or even as an astrophysics researcher (I actually study astrophysics...), without ever wanting any compensation. All I would want is my basic needs fulfilled (water, food, shelter, entertainment) and I would never want or need to feel above or below any other human being on this planet. We can all be equally important.

This is why they watch and try to control us. They will not relinquish their high ground of power easily anytime soon. The need to shape the world, or at least a small part of it, is an extension of the need for continued and meaningful existence.

I just wish everyone found a better way to do it. Like programming or space exploration. Or cooking or performing in a circus, just because they like it and they're good at it.

Sorry Charlie, the government had very little to do with expansion of the infrastructure, unless you are speaking of Federal and Interstate highways or bridges, which I doubt you are. The NTIA has a laughably small budget, as most branches of government should.

System Name Prodigy
Processor i5 2500K
Motherboard AsRock Z77e-ITX
Cooling Liquid
Memory 2x4GB Samsung LV
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 680
Storage OCZ M-SATA 120GB SSD/OCZ Petrol 120GB SSD/Intenso 240GB SSD/500GB Seagate HDD
Display(s) Samsung 32" HDTV
Case BitFenix Prodigy
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ Elite 500w
This is an intriguing conversation! Though I do feel the knowledge of a perceived lack of privacy is an intellectual invasion, it is entirely true that by subscribing to the physical ownership of digital devices with an address of sorts to be tracked back to is indeed lending your information to be used "for your own good" should you cross the line and flag yourself to those that monitor said information.

Live off the grid and work cash in hand/farm the land is your only true option if you are dedicated in your conviction to gain the freedom that was never truly afforded to you from birth.

Coding messages is definitely flagging yourself as an object of attention though.

That's my perception of the recent revelations.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
If your not doing anything and your parinoid about the gov watching you your being a little self important. On the other side a forensic computer examiner is not a bad job to get.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Now let's not go justifying such invasions by calling them a price to be paid. I realize this is most probably just a cynical remark, but I need to reply nonetheless.

No matter the actual value of "keeping peace" and law + order, it's cost must never go beyond what they represent. Is it lawful for me to keep you under surveillance? Why should it be any different for any government or any authority?

On the other hand, the real enemy is giving real value to anything other than progress. We are artificially creating layers of society based on pieces of paper with pretty pictures on it. How did we get it so wrong? People do not need money. It is not an incentive, it is a blackmail. Every last one of us has done at least one productive thing at one point in our lives, completely free in every conceivable way. And we did it because we felt it was important, right, or simply because we liked it.

I would gladly spend my days contributing as a service tech in a science lab, for instance, or even as an astrophysics researcher (I actually study astrophysics...), without ever wanting any compensation. All I would want is my basic needs fulfilled (water, food, shelter, entertainment) and I would never want or need to feel above or below any other human being on this planet. We can all be equally important.

This is why they watch and try to control us. They will not relinquish their high ground of power easily anytime soon. The need to shape the world, or at least a small part of it, is an extension of the need for continued and meaningful existence.

I just wish everyone found a better way to do it. Like programming or space exploration. Or cooking or performing in a circus, just because they like it and they're good at it.

I'm not calling it a price to be paid, I'm saying if the government paid to have the communication system you use built, then they can use it to spy on you all they want. Just like they can pat you down and make you go through body scanners at the airport. If you don't like it, don't fly, if you don't like the government spying on you then don't use the infrastructure they paid for.

Sorry Charlie, the government had very little to do with expansion of the infrastructure, unless you are speaking of Federal and Interstate highways or bridges, which I doubt you are. The NTIA has a laughably small budget, as most branches of government should.

Actually, they had a massive part in the expansion of the infrastructure. Their massive subsidies to the Telco and Cable companies are what allowed most of the cabling to be laid and cell towers to be built that we use in the US. As I said, they didn't build it, they just paid for most of it.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
carrier pigeons. coor coor.

Actually, they had a massive part in the expansion of the infrastructure. Their massive subsidies to the Telco and Cable companies are what allowed most of the cabling to be laid and cell towers to be built that we use in the US. As I said, they didn't build it, they just paid for most of it.

Actually, that's not accurate, again. The USF's budget is once again much smaller than you are alluding to. In fact, farming gets a monumentally larger portion of US subsidies. Does that mean that the government should be in control of all the food as well?

You are also forgetting that the government doesn't have any money of its own, it was all raised from taxes, or truth be told, borrowed from banksters. The amount they paid came from us, not them. So that train of thought still holds no water.