1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can someone give me some advice here

Discussion in 'General Software' started by liamcrane, Mar 31, 2007.

1. liamcrane New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone i have a quick question i want to get windows xp for my new system 1st of all i dont no which one to get out of home edition or pro second thing wat is windows xp pro OEM i saw it on the site for bout £80 what does OEM mean and does it come with a disk? its just i thought windows was around £200 to buy didnt want to get this OEM version if it was not going to work

any chance of someone explaining this to me

many thanks

liam

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    yes it comes with a disc - oem in this case means disc only, no manual, etc.

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Tungsten is right. It is meant to be supplied with a whole PC, so it comes only with CD/DVD and manual, no box and a reduced warranty.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. liamcrane New Member

Thanks Received:
    cheers again guys think i will go for home edition, just to clear things up if i buy the oem home version it wont have any instructions but is it straight 4ward to install? also if lets say my whole pc was to crash would i still be able to reinstall the windows oem i bought as i will be only re installing it on the same machine? the reason i want the oem version is purly because i cant afford £200+ for the retail one but you do still get the automatic updates with oem dont you?

cheers guys

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, with installing the OS, it is relatively straight forward, you will get a manual, but not the glossy manual that is sometimes supplied with it. Installing XP, not much can go wrong, so you should have no problems there.

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. liamcrane New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok mate i think i will go for this then 1 last thing though as it is not the full retail version do u still get all the automatic updates etc?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    You certainly do, the only thing you don't get is the glossy box (and and glossy manual), you'll probably get a paper manual. Everything else is functionally the same as the retail version, including support.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. liamcrane New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers mate u have been a great help thanks very much!!

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. Zalmann

Zalmann New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not a problem. Anytime. :)

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    the only other thing is it may not be the hologram cd but a dell cd. many discount copies are these leftover dell discs that are resold as stand alone discs but were intended to be sold only as part of a whole system (like a store bought computer). it works just the same and is no less official version it just looks different so keep that in mind when buying.

10 Year Member at TPU