• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can someone help me find how plastic is made? From the source to the end product?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I have been interested in this topic for many years, when I research it I find pictures of semi-trucks with like tiny little plastic beads in them, but I think that is recycled plastic, I am not interested in that.

I know most plastic is made from oil/coal byrpoduct, ok that is great, but what is the transformation of that into plastic? What does it look like? Is there a picture by picture diagram or a video anyone knows of that shows how it is done at each step of the way? Each time I watch a youtube video on this its always skipping the original source part, like the initial transition (the coal/oil byproduct itself, what does it look like, what is the machine it goes into, what does the machine do to make the plastic)...

I just find this fascinating that it is so hard to find this information (or I just suck at researching). It's such a vital part of our life... and we don't even really know how it is done... I mean we all have a general idea, ok thats great, but seriously how is it done? Pictures and videos or simple layman explanations only please, I don't was to read a grad school thesis on it...

Disclosure: this is not for any sort of research project or anything that will benefit me, I just am genuinely curious and have been for many years about this.

side note: i don't want to know about recycled anything. I want to only know about how is plastic made from start to finish.

also, for that matter how is aluminum done? like I want to see a video, of how aluminum is mined, then the trucks that take the aluminum to the factory, how does that ore get turned into to the chip bag or the can I am now drinking from?! Like some documentaries show the basics of the supply chain but they never show you the explicit details... I want to know how it all works, its fascinating - also it may help me answer some of my own questions about sustainability.

@FordGT90Concept @lexluthermiester @Andy Shiekh any input welcome

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
I'm not sure you'll find pictures or videos, the process itself is rather short and non-photogenic.

Crude oil is broken down into "fractions". One of the fractions is naphtha. Naphtha plus plus catalysts polymerizes into plastics. That's why plastics are everywhere: besides their desirable properties, they're cheap and damn easy to make.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm not sure you'll find pictures or videos, the process itself is rather short and non-photogenic.

Crude oil is broken down into "fractions". One of the fractions is naphtha. Naphtha plus plus catalysts polymerizes into plastics. That's why plastics are everywhere: besides their desirable properties, they're cheap and damn easy to make.

that's a shame no pictures or videos, especially if it really is that simple. and then the plastic is easy to shape and mold just like old style metallurgy using molds (cast iron historically) to mass produce something I guess?

bug

Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
that's a shame no pictures or videos, especially if it really is that simple. and then the plastic is easy to shape and mold just like old style metallurgy using molds (cast iron historically) to mass produce something I guess?
There are many kinds of plastics each with their own properties.
When we did some polymerization is the lab, it was done in a liquid filled vessel. The thing that came out hardened when it soaked up, iirc. But yes, they're usually ductile when warmed up.

This about covers it. The chemistry for different plastics varies depending on the properties you want in the final material, but generally plastic is easily made.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
For both plastics and aluminium you need to know some chemistry. Wikipedia is a good starting point on both.

Aluminium is quite rare as a raw material, despite it being a very common element and requires electrolyzation (among other things) in order to become aluminium the metal and not bauxite.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
A good read on injection molding with pics and vids:

So whoever makes these plastic making machines controls the world? jk lol but yes at least finally some pics... hmm interesting.

This about covers it. The chemistry for different plastics varies depending on the properties you want in the final material, but generally plastic is easily made.

I'd still like to see the coal/oil processing part, like that really interests me its so hard to find pictures of it, I guess I just find it difficult imagining in my mindseye coal/oil becoming this little ziploc bag my sandwich sits in, lol its so weird to think about

For both plastics and aluminium you need to know some chemistry. Wikipedia is a good starting point on both.

Aluminium is quite rare as a raw material, despite it being a very common element and requires electrolyzation (among other things) in order to become aluminium the metal and not bauxite.

I wonder if our grandkids will never know what a 12oz aluminum can is... we might live in a golden age of convenience and not even know it... lol

System Name Space Heater MKIV
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard ASRock B550 Taichi
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S, 3x Noctua NF-A14s
Memory 2x32GB Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4-3600 C18 1.35V
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil (2150MHz, 240W PL)
Storage 2TB WD SN850X, 4x1TB Crucial MX500 (striped array), LG WH16NS40 BD-RE
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG (34" 3440x1440 144Hz)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Edifier R1700BT, Samson SR850
Power Supply Corsair RM850x, CyberPower CST135XLU
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Glorious GMMK 2 96%
Software Windows 10 LTSC 2021, Linux Mint
Found this video from an Austrian petrochemical company.

No photos, but it does seem to go into a decent amount of detail on the process. Even talks about other petroleum products.

You might want to look into petrochemistry as a whole, which is what this entire process is called.

Cracking is the main part of the process that actually turns petroleum distillates into the end products, including plastics.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Nile Red does a good video on making Nylon Plastic on a small scale, going through the chemistry and steps.

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Nile Red does a good video on making Nylon Plastic on a small scale, going through the chemistry and steps.

Thanks giving it a watch now with my lunch

one reason I made this topic is because someone on this forum (I forget who) linked me this article below, and it got me thinking about Socrates, and asking the question 'How do we know what we think we know?' so yeah very interesting stuff here.

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Thanks giving it a watch now with my lunch

one reason I made this topic is because someone on this forum (I forget who) linked me this article below, and it got me thinking about Socrates, and asking the question 'How do we know what we think we know?' so yeah very interesting stuff here.

Honestly, that title screams click bait. I mean, if you're seriously looking to find out whether plastic can be recycled or nor, you're not going to ask big oil.
But since it got you asking questions, I suppose that's the silver lining.

System Name Scan 3XS System
Processor Intel Core i7 11700K
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS WIFI
Cooling Corsair Hydro H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO [3000MHz 2x8GB]
Video Card(s) 10GB EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA GAMING
Storage 1TB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus, 2TB Seagate HDD, 240GB Kingston SSD
Display(s) Samsung C32JG5x Curved, 1080p, 1920 x 1080
Case Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB
Audio Device(s) USB Speakers 2.1
Power Supply Corsair RM750x 80PLUS GOLD
Mouse Razer Mouse
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 22H2 (10.0.19045).4291 22H2

Space Lynx

Astronaut

something like this is exactly what i was looking for, a dummy's guide to understand it.

oil is expected to run out in 150 years right? so we really do live in a golden age of convenience... we fucked in 150 years though :D

Honestly, that title screams click bait. I mean, if you're seriously looking to find out whether plastic can be recycled or nor, you're not going to ask big oil.
But since it got you asking questions, I suppose that's the silver lining.

I am aware of the article title, but I did read all of it, and it is a surprisingly well researched article, sometimes even bad titles can be good reads.

D

Deleted member 74752

There are many in the industry that believe oil is not derived from rotting bio matter over millions of years. They instead think the planet is generating it from within...interesting concept. Like Sheldon of "The Big Bang Theory" when he is quizzed on Noah's fantastical zoo boat story lol...it just doesnt seem plausible that there could be that much bio matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
There are many in the industry that believe oil is not derived from rotting bio matter over millions of years. They instead think the planet is generating it from within...interesting concept. Like Sheldon of "The Big Bang Theory" when he is quizzed on Noah's fantastical zoo boat story lol...it just doesnt seem plausible that there could be that much bio matter.

even if you are correct, and lets say there is plenty to go around for thousands of years, we def need to figure out a diff way of doing it... i mean you can see the pacific ocean plastic pollution from outer space ffs... plastic has killed so many birds and fish, or made them super unhealthy for us to eat (and we prob eat them without knowing it sometimes too), ecological systems getting destroyed, the ripple effects of that, and so on and so forth.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
oil is expected to run out in 150 years right?
Not completely run out, but become economically unviable. Bell curves, and all that.

it just doesnt seem plausible that there could be that much bio matter.
I sure as heck don't see why not. Look around us now. Keep in mind, geologically ancient times had HIGHER atmospheric density levels than we have now. ie more energy for many forms of life.

And guess what? Everything that lives, at some point, it dies. And sits. Underground. A long time.

They instead think the planet is generating it from within...interesting concept.
This however I find pretty fantastical and hard to buy.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
And guess what? Everything that lives, at some point, it dies. And sits. Underground. A long time.

yeah that combined with its very hard for the human brain to contemplate 2000 years of history, let alone 100 million, 2 billion, these numbers are just impossible for the human brain to really truly understand. we can try all we want, and even have a general idea of it, but yeah

There are many in the industry that believe oil is not derived from rotting bio matter over millions of years. They instead think the planet is generating it from within...interesting concept.
This is true. Oil is not a "fossil fuel". It is generated as a result of geological reactions from magma formations. Earth itself is creating Oil & Natual Gas. In contrast, coal actually is a fossil fuel.

its very hard for the human brain to contemplate 2000 years of history, let alone 100 million, 2 billion, these numbers are just impossible for the human brain to really truly understand.
Not at all. Just requires context & understanding. For example I have no problems whatsoever understanding the history of humanity, the Earth & Solar System and even the Universe. I can picture it all clearly and accurately in my mind. Not everyone can. And the ability or inability too is not an indicator of level of intelligence, only the abilities and talents of the individual in question. Not everyone has the same abilities and talents.

D

Deleted member 74752

This is true. Oil is not a "fossil fuel". It is generated as a result of geological reactions from magma formations. Earth itself is creating Oil & Natual Gas. In contrast, coal actually is a fossil fuel.
I have read that the general reasoning has always been the presence of "bio markers" present in oil. Abiotic contends these markers are simply organisms that feed on oil as it migrates closer to the surface.

If it is true that oil is projected to run out in 47 years then why the hell is there not a huge push towards nuclear power. We can do without a lot of things, but electricity is not one of them. Solar and wind can assist I know, but these are just minor players in my mind...not enough for the long haul so to speak.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name HP Compaq 8000 Elite CMT
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Motherboard Hewlett-Packard 3647h
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (fan-less)
Storage 2TB Micron SATA SSD; 2TB Seagate Firecuda 3.5" HDD
Display(s) Dell P2416D (2560 x 1440)
Power Supply 12V HP proprietary
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Oil is not a "fossil fuel". It is generated as a result of geological reactions from magma formations. Earth itself is creating Oil & Natual Gas.

Do you have a reference to support this claim?

bug

Case Raijintek Thetis
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Do you have a reference to support this claim?
Natural gas is pretty obvious: farmers don't harvest all the beans, some fall down and into the ground.
Oil, I can't explain.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64