• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can someone help me find how plastic is made? From the source to the end product?

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
That is because you have failed to pay a attention or you failed to understand context.
And aparently, all of mainstream science has too?

Well, at least you should've done your due-diligence back in high school. I suspect geology isn't a big part of geography course stateside, but I'm pretty sure it's at least mentioned in the curriculum :D
It was in mine, but ymmv.

Context is important and you've missed some...
I love this. Please, name it.

Last edited:
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Except the oil fields are not on the ocean floors, nor anywhere near the surface of the oceans floors. Nor would it explain the vast oil fields found in areas that have never been in contact with the oceans in any point in Earths history.

Except the oceans and land have traded places more times than we can count. I live on a hill a thousand feet above Billings and the oceanic fossils in the layered sediment stone is proof for me that this whole area was under water at one time. It was tropical based off the coal that’s less than 200 miles away.

You seem to think in terms of thousands of years instead of millions.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
you have a background in engineering, you'll know many formulae we use are actually simplifications we use, because, within some boundaries, they yield results close enough to the real ones.
Yep. Like how 15 digits of pi is good enough to calculate a radius out to the edge of the milky way galaxy... so NASA don't bother with more.

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
It wasnt that long ago that the flat earth theory was accepted and those that challenged it were ridiculed...knowledge and time progresses.
Flat Earth? Really? Before COVID came I would have challenged you to make note of the the position of the Constellation of Orion in the night sky. Then fly to Barbados or Curacao on the same day (this time of year) and make note of the position of Orion. You will notice that it is much closer to 90 degrees than the 45 to 60 we get in the Northern Hemisphere.

Except the oceans and land have traded places more times than we can count. I live on a hill a thousand feet above Billings and the oceanic fossils in the layered sediment stone is proof for me that this whole area was under water at one time. It was tropical based off the coal that’s less than 200 miles away.

You seem to think in terms of thousands of years instead of millions.
The entire Island of Barbados was once the Ocean floor.

D

Deleted member 74752

Flat Earth? Really? Before COVID came I would have challenged you to make note of the the position of the Constellation of Orion in the night sky. Then fly to Barbados or Curacao on the same day (this time of year) and make note of the position of Orion. You will notice that it is much closer to 90 degrees than the 45 to 60 we get in the Northern Hemisphere.
Did you actually construe that I was a flat earth believer? Lol! The percentage of water covering the planet is roughly 75% and I suspect it has always been around that amount. Sure, land masses come and go, but in totality at any given point in time I would expect there to be that much coverage...with the exception of the time period of Noah's fantastical zoo boat voyage.

Last edited by a moderator:
As such, the burden of proof lies on its proponents, not me.
Nonsense. When standing theory does not meet with scrutiny, those that support the theory are required to explain why the theory still makes sense and has merit. So either explain how biomatter gets 30,000+ feet underground or concede that you might be wrong.

Magma-hyrdocarbon reactions sufficiently explain oil production at such depths.

This goes for all of you.

I have already explained in previous posts. Will not be doing so again.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Keyboard Logitech G510
Nonsense. When standing theory does not meet with scrutiny, those that support the theory are require to explain why the theory still make sense and has merit. So either explain how biomatter gets 30,000+ feet underground or concede that you might be wrong.

Magma-hyrdocarbon reactions sufficiently explain oil production at such depths.

This goes for all of you.

I have already explained in previous posts. Will not be doing so again.
How Old is Earth? How long has it been Organic? How does mass on Earth escape the pull of Gravity? Where does Gravity on Earth come from? Construction in European cities like London can be expensive for the very same reason. You might get even the remains of Roman settlements underneath.As the pressure increases. When my dentist told me that you focus flossing on the bottom because Gravity effects your top row I was blown away.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I came across this video tonight and thought it was absolutely fascinating.

Honestly if companies would stop using so many colors in their plastic so much more could be recycled... I had no idea about that until I watched that video, I feel like we need to build more of these factories and just start recycling more plastic, it makes a lot of sense. I am guessing the 220 celsius it is melted at kills any possibly germ or contamination.

I do wonder though, how does it know there wasn't some metal stuck to the side of one of the plastic bottles BEFORE it gets shredded, because wouldn't a tiny amount of metal also melt at 220 celsius and get mixed in with the end recycled product? I am guessing one of the machines can detect metal in even very small sizes, therefore preventing this problem... I am unsure.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard X470 Tachi Ultimate
Cooling Scythe Big Shuriken 3
Memory C.R.S.
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Software Win 7
Benchmark Scores Never high enough
I missed this somehow.

All the previous is relevant but going from your opening post:
I have been interested in this topic for many years, when I research it I find pictures of semi-trucks with like tiny little plastic beads in them, but I think that is recycled plastic, I am not interested in that
side note: i don't want to know about recycled anything. I want to only know about how is plastic made from start to finish.
These pics could or could NOT be recycled plastic.

GE plastics is a place used to go out and work on forklifts for them, employed by a contractor/company doing fleet maintenance for them, did it for at least 3 years while employed by the contractor GE was using and I came to be their "Preferred" service guy...... Lucky me. :shadedshu:

I was never a GE employee but I saw alot while I was there. It was also a place you had to take the training they had (HAZCON) - Was mandatory to have it or you coudn't even set foot on the property due to all the really nasty stuff there.
From mustard and chlorine gas to everyone's favorite (NOT), that namely being Phosgene gas it was there and could mess you up or worse.

My point here is related to the semi-trucks you refer to with little plastic beads/pellets..... They made plastics from all these chemicals being combined and the resulting material was extruded like tiny lines of the stuff from the machines. These in turn were "Chopped" into these tiny pellets as that was done and went down a chute into a holding bin to fill bags/boxes of it to be shipped out to whomever wanted it.

You'd see these large boxes with a lid filled all the way up to the top and it all looked like tiny beads because that's what it was - Boxes full of tiny plastic beads being shipped all over, to be made into things like the cover/body of your phone for example or other stuff like that.
During my time in the place if there is a part of the process that does involve an enviro suit I didn't get to see that and glad I didn't TBH, but about any part of it that doesn't involve one I probrably have.

So yeah, it depends on what you are looking at when you do.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I'm aware of that, but I am interested in recycled plastic now and I can't edit that post because its old. It's all plastic production anyway so I don't see what it matters.

I just find it interesting.

Alright that is your experience, sorry it was a bad one, but the video looks like a much better designed factory.

I already understand all of this, but I appreciate you for chipping in, I guess I should have just made a new topic. Mainly interested to talk about the video I just posted.

Morgoth

Fueled by Sapphire
System Name Wopr "War Operation Plan Response"
Processor 5900x ryzen 9 12 cores 24 threads
Motherboard aorus x570 pro
Cooling air (GPU Liquid graphene) rad outside case mounted 120mm 68mm thick
Memory kingston 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ecc 2x16gb
Video Card(s) sapphire RX 6950 xt Nitro+ 16gb
Storage 300gb hdd OS backup. Crucial 500gb ssd OS. 6tb raid 1 hdd. 1.8tb pci-e nytro warp drive LSI
Display(s) AOC display 1080p
Case SilverStone SST-CS380 V2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 850MX watt
Mouse corsair gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft brand
Software Windows 10 pro 64bit, Luxion Keyshot 7, fusion 360, steam
Benchmark Scores timespy 19 104
nuclear power plants need lots of cooling right? well outer space is super cold, maybe there could be a nuclear power plant for the energy, then that power could make factories that make the plastics from the oil and that energy could separate the oxygen from the water... from what I remember we do know there is ice on Mars, didn't they announce that a few years ago? I'd bet money there is a lot more somewhere deeper you go
vacuum is a bad heat condutor so its hard to conduct heat away from a reactor need massive cooling fins for that . but since mars stil got a atmpsohere to conduct heat away

i also asume that oil comes from the first plant life on earth where the was no other organic life that breaks plants down to compost just layers on top of each other

Space Lynx

Astronaut
man, I really should have made a new topic, none of you are actually talking about the post I revived this thread for. lol... RIP me

I appreciate it none the less though, ty Morgoth

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Old post, but ol' lex is a source unto himself and will not elaborate. We just need to trust in his infinite wisdom.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
When I watched those recycling videos, I thought

> Well done Germany, however this has required
> 30 years in the development of the recycling industry
> required a lot of legislation, esp. the deposit system used in Germany for plastic bottles
> an incredible infrastructure of machines in supermarkets to collect the bottles and offer "pfand"
> huge logistics and time involved by the industry, the supermarkets, and the shopper
> has required low interest rates to be able to fund these massive investments
> has required cheap power to run these recycling factories, and the logistics
> has required "good behaviour" of citizens to make it work
> and a lot of government subsidy

I am sure the economic cost of recycling is MULTIPLES, TENS if not HUNDREDS, of the cost of just making new plastic, and I am grateful to Germany having done all of the above to reduce non-degradable waste. I wish all countries would do it.

But, the realpolitik, and economics, is that this will not happen in second and third world countries.

We need more investment in bio-degradables, and also clean incineration systems.

Morgoth

Fueled by Sapphire
System Name Wopr "War Operation Plan Response"
Processor 5900x ryzen 9 12 cores 24 threads
Motherboard aorus x570 pro
Cooling air (GPU Liquid graphene) rad outside case mounted 120mm 68mm thick
Memory kingston 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ecc 2x16gb
Video Card(s) sapphire RX 6950 xt Nitro+ 16gb
Storage 300gb hdd OS backup. Crucial 500gb ssd OS. 6tb raid 1 hdd. 1.8tb pci-e nytro warp drive LSI
Display(s) AOC display 1080p
Case SilverStone SST-CS380 V2
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 850MX watt
Mouse corsair gaming mouse
Keyboard Microsoft brand
Software Windows 10 pro 64bit, Luxion Keyshot 7, fusion 360, steam
Benchmark Scores timespy 19 104
When I watched those recycling videos, I thought

> Well done Germany, however this has required
> 30 years in the development of the recycling industry
> required a lot of legislation, esp. the deposit system used in Germany for plastic bottles
> an incredible infrastructure of machines in supermarkets to collect the bottles and offer "pfand"
> huge logistics and time involved by the industry, the supermarkets, and the shopper
> has required low interest rates to be able to fund these massive investments
> has required cheap power to run these recycling factories, and the logistics
> has required "good behaviour" of citizens to make it work
> and a lot of government subsidy

I am sure the economic cost of recycling is MULTIPLES, TENS if not HUNDREDS, of the cost of just making new plastic, and I am grateful to Germany having done all of the above to reduce non-degradable waste. I wish all countries would do it.

But, the realpolitik, and economics, is that this will not happen in second and third world countries.

We need more investment in bio-degradables, and also clean incineration systems.
how about none bio-degrables but stil hold a high value so people dont trash it away?? like coper containers and sush soorts

Space Lynx

Astronaut

Now, an alarming new study has found that even when plastic makes it to a recycling center, it can still end up splintering into smaller bits that contaminate the air and water. This pilot study focused on a single new facility where plastics are sorted, shredded, and melted down into pellets. Along the way, the plastic is washed several times, sloughing off microplastic particles—fragments smaller than 5 millimeters—into the plant’s wastewater.

one of the comments in that article said, "this is why everyone goes to the good place" referring to the tv show... lmao

Processor AMD 7900X3D
Cooling In Win SR36
Keyboard Logitech G510
I have read that the general reasoning has always been the presence of "bio markers" present in oil. Abiotic contends these markers are simply organisms that feed on oil as it migrates closer to the surface.

If it is true that oil is projected to run out in 47 years then why the hell is there not a huge push towards nuclear power. We can do without a lot of things, but electricity is not one of them. Solar and wind can assist I know, but these are just minor players in my mind...not enough for the long haul so to speak.
Three Mile Island comes to mind for Nuclear and Fukushima scared everybody.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
your local library might have archived some old footage of the videos hows its made, if you are lucky they might be on dvd
if you are not so lucky it might be on vhs

System Name MSi Coffee Lake
Processor i7-8700k
Motherboard MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
Cooling NZXT something AIO loop
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 2133 C14 Fury Black
Video Card(s) TITAN Xp Jedi Order Edition
Storage Samsung 960 Evo NVMe
Display(s) Medion 23'
Case Cooler Master Stryker
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply BeQuiet 600W
Mouse Logitech Trackman T-BB18
Keyboard Generic hp
Software Windows 10

Now, an alarming new study has found that even when plastic makes it to a recycling center, it can still end up splintering into smaller bits that contaminate the air and water. This pilot study focused on a single new facility where plastics are sorted, shredded, and melted down into pellets. Along the way, the plastic is washed several times, sloughing off microplastic particles—fragments smaller than 5 millimeters—into the plant’s wastewater.

one of the comments in that article said, "this is why everyone goes to the good place" referring to the tv show... lmao
If the plant is any good it will have a wastewater filtering to recuperate these fragments.