• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can we undervolt i7 10750H (Comet Lake)?

Ravenik

Hi, I have just bought a laptop from MSI (GP75 10SEK) with Comet Lake CPU: i7 10750H. I experience the problem that in MSI:"Silent Scenario" (which is not totally silent - fans do rotate) the CPU reaches from time to time 95*C (in gaming/demos) and sometimes (rather too often) reaches even throttling. I could use MSI:"Balanced Scenario" (resulting in CPU & GPU about 75*C) but I am quite allergic to noise. So please tell me if I can undervolt my CPU, so that it would reach a few degrees Centigrade less in silent fan scenario?
Currently I set Offset Voltage=-50.8mV for CPU core - in Throttlestop/FIVR, click apply or ok, but in monitoring panel it is still Offset=0.0.
I attach a screenshot. Windows 10 x64 home.

Is it ever possible to undervolt this CPU?

Currently I have to set CPU max limit 99% in Windows' power plan - to keep the system silent in games, but it seems to be somwehat imperfect method (it seems to completely disable Turbo and limits CPU multiplier to 25x )

Attachments

Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i5-9600KF
Motherboard NZXT N7 Z370 Black
Cooling Cooler Master 240 RGB AIO / Stock
Memory Thermaltake Toughram 16GB 4400MHz DDR4 or Gigabyte 16GB 3600MHz DDR4 or Adata 8GB 2133Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 1060 6GB
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
FIVR control is Locked.
You may have to wait for @unclewebb to reply and assist.

System Name Austere Box R1.3
Processor R7 3700X
Motherboard B550M TUF Wifi (0805)
Cooling NH-C14S (NF-A14 iPPC-2000)
Memory 32GB Trident Z RGB [3733] (16-19-19-37) (DJR)
Video Card(s) RTX 2060 Super FE (UV 0.963V)
Storage 1TB SX8200, 1TB SN750, 1TB Blue3D
Display(s) GW2765HT
Case Cerberus KIC11U (2 x NF-A14, NF-A9)
Audio Device(s) DT 770 80Ω [FiiO E10K], Blue Snowball
Power Supply Seasonic SGX-650 (Cablemod SE)
Mouse Endgame XM1
Keyboard various customs
Software Windows 10 2004
Plundervolt, the fix for which is to disable voltage control, was discovered last year and began being remedied this year. 10750H, a Comet Lake part, released well into this year, after Plundervolt. You will not be able to control voltage, because out of the box, it is already disabled for Comet Lake.

If you had certain Kaby Lake-R, Whiskey Lake or Coffee Lake parts that started out life with BIOSes that predated the Plundervolt discovery, you might be able to BIOS downgrade to re-enable it. But that's not the case here with Comet Lake.

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
Looks like ThrottleStop supports your Comet Lake CPU. The bad news is that Intel has disabled voltage control with their December microcode update. Older computers could use a previous BIOS version but you probably do not have that option.

You might be able to control your CPU speed by adjusting the Speed Shift max value. Blame Intel for this mess.

Edit- As you found out, 99% for max processor state disables turbo boost entirely. Use 100% and try Speed Shift Max instead.

Some Dell owners have found a fix.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/fzv599

Last edited:

Ravenik

Thanks for support. I was able to set Speed Shift maximum rate and it really works.

A regards the fix by Dell owners, I am able to use UEFITool and find "CFG Lock" and "Overclocking Lock" within a BIOS file downloaded from MSI website, but I will wait form someone more confident to perform this mod for MSI.

m4sereal

Hi, I have just bought a laptop from MSI (GP75 10SEK) with Comet Lake CPU: i7 10750H. I experience the problem that in MSI:"Silent Scenario" (which is not totally silent - fans do rotate) the CPU reaches from time to time 95*C (in gaming/demos) and sometimes (rather too often) reaches even throttling. I could use MSI:"Balanced Scenario" (resulting in CPU & GPU about 75*C) but I am quite allergic to noise. So please tell me if I can undervolt my CPU, so that it would reach a few degrees Centigrade less in silent fan scenario?
Currently I set Offset Voltage=-50.8mV for CPU core - in Throttlestop/FIVR, click apply or ok, but in monitoring panel it is still Offset=0.0.
I attach a screenshot. Windows 10 x64 home.

Is it ever possible to undervolt this CPU?

Currently I have to set CPU max limit 99% in Windows' power plan - to keep the system silent in games, but it seems to be somwehat imperfect method (it seems to completely disable Turbo and limits CPU multiplier to 25x )
Thanks for support. I was able to set Speed Shift maximum rate and it really works.

A regards the fix by Dell owners, I am able to use UEFITool and find "CFG Lock" and "Overclocking Lock" within a BIOS file downloaded from MSI website, but I will wait form someone more confident to perform this mod for MSI.

Yea.. I have been having major issues with stress tests or even PUBG hitting close to 100C and thermal throttling.

My only fix was to disable turbo, undervolted core by -.125mv and changed all turbo clocks to 50. Keeps idle temps mid 40s and games like LoL it stays around 60C. PUBG still pushes 70 but better than 90s.

Attachments

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
@m4se- Try undervolting the cache as well. -125 mV for both is a good place to start. From here, you might be able to undervolt the core further. Use Cinebench R20 for testing purposes.

This is a locked CPU. No point in increasing the turbo ratios. This CPU will ignore any request beyond the default ratios.

nathashakck

Hi @unclewebb and @Ravenik

I am having Helios 300 2020 refresh with 10750 processor. As you know my laptop also locked for undervolting. Also i am new to the undervolting and underclocking. Can you please take a moment to tell me how did set Speed Shift maximum rate and what are the values you put on? it would be great if you could provide me with screen shot.

Also there is no point of setting voltage ofset to 120mv at all? I was thinking to reduce ofset by -120mv and multipliers to 35. so is this useless? thanks a lot for your help and replies in advance :)

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
my laptop also locked for undervolting.
I was thinking to reduce ofset by -120mv
If your laptop is locked for under volting, why would you set the offset at -120 mV? It is not going to work if your CPU is locked.

You do not need to see a screenshot to adjust the Speed Shift Max value. Open up the TPL window and set this to whatever value you like. If you want to cool your CPU down then set this to 35 and your CPU will run at a maximum of 3500 MHz. Post some screenshots if you need help.

nathashakck

If your laptop is locked for under volting, why would you set the offset at -120 mV? It is not going to work if your CPU is locked.

You do not need to see a screenshot to adjust the Speed Shift Max value. Open up the TPL window and set this to whatever value you like. If you want to cool your CPU down then set this to 35 and your CPU will run at a maximum of 3500 MHz. Post some screenshots if you need help.
Thank you very much . will try and let you know.

Ravenik

Hi nathashakck. I gave up modifying Speed Shift values because I succeeded in unlocking underclocking and undervolting. To achieve it I followed this instruction with one modification: for steps 6 and 7 I used RU.efi tool, which allowed me to remove locks by writing 00 in CFG Lock and Overclocking Lock. Then I was able to undervolt. After some time I discovered a secret keyboard keys combination to access and remove this locks using original MSI Bios interface.

Last edited:

TyroPro

Thank you very much . will try and let you know.
Hi nathanshakck, I was just wondering how that Speed Shift Max value adjustment worked out for you? I recently ordered an HP laptop with the i7 10750H and am trying to research as best as I can on how to keep it cool before it arrives. Thank you :)

october3

this is rough & ready testing below, (HP i7-10750H)

about 22% less in benchmark between stock and having the power to cpu restricted (to get lower cpu temps and so no max fan)

I am going to re-paste cpu, see if that helps. Getting couple of cores hotter, not sure if its paste or how the turbo logic works.
Will be good if someone can hack the HP laptops to allow undervolt, every little helps

it is still very fast with 30/38watts in throttlestop

1597172811153.png

Zen88

I was doing very good, but now smth happend
Throttle stop is not working, I mean in FIVR disabled all
But XTU is working, in Bios Overclocking enabled and XTU also