• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can You Double Check My Acrylic Case Plans?

I'm about to order the acrylic to build a case from scratch. My goal was to have full ATX support and have the case be as small as possible so I can take it to the dorms next year. I also need it as quiet as possible so I'm trying to make the most efficient use of fans I can. I cut out the DVD drive as that would make the case much bigger and cause cable clutter and I never really use the thing. I'll use an eSATA connection if I really need it. Although, if I made the case just 1.63 inches taller I could put that drive right above the motherboard and hard drive, I'm not sure, what would you do?

Here is a picture I put together, everything is to scale so I have the dimensions (15.75*11.75*7.25) finalized. On the side where the motherboard mounts I'm gluing 10 clear cubes into place and drilling holes for the motherboard mount. It should help circulation if it's not resting against the panel as well. I have a fan (all are 120mm) on the bottom of the front panel giving my 4850 air and the PSU should exhaust that air. It's a Seasonic S12 so the fan is VERY slow, but I think it should get the job done. At the top of the case I have a fan behind the tower cpu heatsink exhausting that air and I might also put one on the front panel feeding it air, or just a vent, that's also another decision I have to make.

As for looks, I have one panel (the one you usually find windows on) will be red and transparent, the rest will all be black. The description for the black panels said they let light through but diffuse it so you can't see what's inside. On the front I'm carving a design out of the black and putting red LEDs behind it. It will be 6.75 wide and 240mm long to let in air to two fans. It will limit airflow a lot but I think this case will still have better cooling than most as it's so small and still has 3 120mm + the PSU 120mm.

So I really want to see if anyone here has experience with acrylic cases and can give me some advice. Or any suggestions on my design if I have issues that I haven't seen.

Last edited:
K

kyle2020

You'll want to contact MKMods about this, he'll shed some light on your plan ;)

Thanks, I've been reading the front page for a while and decided to join now that I have a problem, haha

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
its quite simple the straighter and shorter the path of airflow the better it works.

Since video cards are so long (and getting longer) make airflow along their axis. Here is my first acrylic case

A coupe things to notice, PS, Hdds and DVD are below to keep wiring clutter and heat away from the mobo.
Next look how the fans blow the same way across the mobo, 1 for the GPUs and Chipset, and 1 more for the rad (which sucks air across the surface of the mobo and past the memory)

And welcome to TPU also :toast:

EDIT: are you planning on a tower design?

K

kyle2020

I'm about to order the acrylic to build a case from scratch. My goal was to have full ATX support and have the case be as small as possible so I can take it to the dorms next year. I also need it as quiet as possible so I'm trying to make the most efficient use of fans I can. I cut out the DVD drive as that would make the case much bigger and cause cable clutter and I never really use the thing. I'll use an eSATA connection if I really need it. Although, if I made the case just 1.63 inches taller I could put that drive right above the motherboard and hard drive, I'm not sure, what would you do?

Out of all of that i see only one problem - your descision to cut the cd drive out - im guessing when you say dorms you mean your off to university - surely installing new programs, ripping music and watching DVD's will be needed?

I'm starting to think I'll need it more and more, I'll find a way to draw it into the plans. I'll make the case 1.63 inches taller and slot that right above the hard drive in the same cage.

and MKMods, I was originally about to build it with a similar setup to yours, with the motherboard isolated and the psu and drives under, but it came out much bigger that way and I think I like the looks of a tower. I was also planning on doing a double wind-tunnel kind of thing, one for the GPU and one for the CPU and chipset, we must think alike...I just don't want to have too much airflow and create turbulence, I heard that could be a problem but I'm not so sure. So far I have the tower fan actually acting as an intake and then the exhaust. Then the psu and intake for the gpu section creating a tunnel of sorts.

Thanks for the help. I'll align that to the PCB, it should help. The 4850 is pretty damn long, it extends almost to the other side of my case.

I see you never made pci slot covers or anything like that, it works fine with just a hole right?

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
PCI slot covers just block the airflow.

One other thing if you do a tower, put the PS on the top. By using it on the bottom the fan fights the airflow (if above the PS) and if its facing down (below) its just wastes the PSs fan.

System Name Le Don
Processor Core i 5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz HD Graphics 3000
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision Rev 3.1
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2
Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2B1600C9), 1600MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) EVGA Signature 2 Super Clocked GTX680 2GB
Storage Total 6 TB storage
Display(s) LG 23" D2342P and LG 42" 42LF65 LCD (Wall mounted)
Case Antec P180 Silver
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,
You could always put in a slimline DVD drive

System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
On my mini-ITX server comp thing I made my own acrylic / steel case.

What I have done is simply have the motherboard, a PCI gigabit card and hard drive - everything else is USB. (inc DVD drive).

All I did was get a normal motherboard tray...attach two pieces of steel (front and back) and then bend a piece of acrylic around the sides and top. Looks dodgy cus I bent the acrylic by hand (yes put it in the oven and bent it myself :p...dont kill me mark :rolleyes:), but other than that its fine :).

I never thought of a USB drive...

I can buy the slimline pretty easily as I build computers for a few offices in the area, I could just give them my drive and pay the difference. I thought of that and looked on newegg, the slim drives were all made for laptops and didn't use the same kind of power cable. USB it is.

So I'm moving the PSU to the top, hard drive goes to the bottom and the case should stay the same size overall. One more question, what should I use to bond everything? Everything should be glued but the red panel needs to be able to come off with screws or a hinge somehow. And when I insert the red LEDs on the front panel, what do I use to give them power?

System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc
I never thought of a USB drive...

I can buy the slimline pretty easily as I build computers for a few offices in the area, I could just give them my drive and pay the difference. I thought of that and looked on newegg, the slim drives were all made for laptops and didn't use the same kind of power cable. USB it is.

You can get the laptop slimline --> IDE converters, but why bother when there is USB lol.

So I'm moving the PSU to the top, hard drive goes to the bottom and the case should stay the same size overall. One more question, what should I use to bond everything? Everything should be glued but the red panel needs to be able to come off with screws or a hinge somehow. And when I insert the red LEDs on the front panel, what do I use to give them power?

I would say to use screws wherever you can, simply to allow you to pull it apart at anytime. Also if you can, a big positive will be a removable motherboard tray.

I assume you mean the RED LED's as in the HDD/Power LED activity lights? If so, you need to connect them to the F_Panel connectors.

No, I'm drilling 3mm holes in the acrylic (front only) and putting red LEDs inside it to light up the design I'm cutting out and match the side panel

So, I have bad taste, I just wanna make sure this looks good.

Front panel: see-through black with the cut out and red leds
Side panel: transparent red
everything else: opaque black, it won't let out any light.

System Name Le Don
Processor Core i 5 2500K Unlocked 3.3GHz HD Graphics 3000
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro B3 Revision Rev 3.1
Cooling Arctic Freezer Pro 7 Rev.2
Memory 8Gb Corsair DDR3 (CMZ8GX3M2B1600C9), 1600MHz, 1.5V, 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) EVGA Signature 2 Super Clocked GTX680 2GB
Storage Total 6 TB storage
Display(s) LG 23" D2342P and LG 42" 42LF65 LCD (Wall mounted)
Case Antec P180 Silver
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit,
you'll have to find a spare Molex somewhere. also it depends on how many LEDs you want lit up; you'll want a limiting resistor inline with the LEDs. check out www.ledcalc.com