• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cannot access proxy server. IE, Chrome, any app no internet. HELP!!!

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
Hello all. My mother-in-laws computer is having the "The proxy server isn't responding 1.127.0.0:8800 server" problem. I've tried to uncheck the use proxy server box under internet options, i've tried running cmd.exe as admin and the command "netsh winsock reset" followed by a reboot, and i've tried uninstalling IE 11 and then re-installing it through download from another pc onto a flashdrive. here's a screen shot for specifics.

I can't seem to figure out what to do next besides re-installing windows 7. I also don't understand why ipconfig /all depicts everything be correct settings wise. I'd prefer to figure it out though as there's quite a few photo's and games my mother-in-law has installed, plus it would be a great learning experience if i can fix the network problem...whatever that may be as i'm out of idea's at this point.

EDIT: I can however ping websites and get replies with no lost packages. 40-45ms response times. So i can access....yet can't.

EDIT2: After re-installing IE 11 it seems windows can still itself use the internet as it downloaded updates for IE 11 no problem. Still have the problem after these updates.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Format time

System Name Everyday driver
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Motherboard Asrock 870 Extreme3
Cooling Xigmatek Prime SD1484
Memory 4x GSkill 4GB DDR3 1866
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage 2x WD Black 640GB RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 245BW 1920x1200
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair TX-850
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
Sounds like the PC is infected with malware. Before reinstalling the OS I would try running the free version of Malwarebytes. It usually helps in situations like this.

You can get it here:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try this, ESET free online scan and removal.
And, try running this free tool, Complete Internet repair (check all boxes and you will need to reboot) --> Complete Internet Repair

Have you tried it on the wired lan?
Is this at her place and have you tried it at your place?

Try resetting the router.
Have you tried resetting your firewall?
Try un-installing and re-installing any A/V and Firewall software she uses.

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
bah lol i always forget something in a thread. I did run malware bytes, came clean minus some pup optional crap which i removed and then ran it again(clean), installed avast in safe mode+networking, updated> did a boot scan, clean. So yea i ended up having to format. She's happy her laptop works again but hates the idea of having to install all her games, ya know those 8 in 1 cd's at walmart for $5-10 bucks lol.

@95Viper: Yes its at her house, and i set up the Wifi and everything as we use it for the store's wifi. Only her computer out of 6 or so devices had this issue. As for the stuff she "uses" i tend to get all electronic stuff in the family thrown my way so everyone's device is set up by me mostly lol. Her laptop always has this icon of a movie theater reel and "mega video" or something whenever i clean it of all the bloat/ad-ware they install.

None the less I had to format and its working crisp and fast :).

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
None the less I had to format and its working crisp and fast .

Glad it is working... sorry, you had to format and start over; however, it may be for the better in her case.
And, you now can, probably, safely bet that it was not any hardware... something on the laptop had to be the cause.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Glad it is working... sorry, you had to format and start over; however, it may be for the better in her case.
And, you now can, probably, safely bet that it was not any hardware... something on the laptop had to be the cause.

Sometimes machines os get too far broken that a format is required no matter how good fix tools are. Ive seen Macs crash and run like crap (Uverse Tech). Smart browsing practices and keeping things updated along with disk cleaning and defrag are the only way to keep them running properly. Honestly load this thing up with Malware bytes,Spyware Blaster,Spybot SD. Favorite Antivirus and enable netnanny so accidental mispellings cant be put in.

Last edited:
System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
Sometimes machines os get too far broken that a format is required no matter how good fix tools are. Ive seen Macs crash and run like crap (Uverse Tech). Smart browsing practices and keeping things updated along with disk cleaning and defrag are the only way to keep them running properly. Honestly load this thing up with Malware bytes,Spyware Blaster,Spybot SD. Favorite Antivirus and enable netnanny so accidental mispellings cant be put in.

Yep i do that already :). I go between Avast and Bit Defender Free for AV's. Always have malware bytes for that safe mode scan(plus its just awesome), Auslogics/Ultra Defrag/Defraggler just depending. Still about once a month she brings it to me to clean it lol. Idk what it is with people that aren't tech savy not wanting to at least understand how to operate something they use daily. Its not like double clicking and reading is that hard, and believe me that seems to be the biggest issue with non tech savy folk, they don't F***ING read whats on the screen, but i suppose it keeps me busy and up to skill on cleaning up windows :)