1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't boot even to BIOS, black screen, NEED HELP

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by XSI, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    Hello You all, story is simple: new cooler Hyper Evo 212. My system is in system specs but in short:
    Motherboard: Msi P7N Platinum 750i sli
    RAM: 2x2 800 ddr2
    VGA: 8800gt Msi Zilent
    CPU: e8400@stock now.
    Power supply: 650w Chieftec 80+

I took every hardware out of PC. installed backplate, put thermo paste, installed new cooler, put all component back together.
    I have 3 pci-e slot, 2 screens, and 2 vga at hand.
    Now I can not see even bios after boot, all I see no signal detected. I have tried: 8800 GT in all 3 pci-e with dvi connection to Samsung 22" monitor and 50" HDTV dvi-->to hdmi adapter. I have tried both dvi available.
    I've tried 8500 gt VGA and DVI outputs, with both monitor and TV. In all 3 pci-e slots too.
    I even tried to have both card at the same time one with vga another with DVI
    btw I've tried 1 and 2 ram sticks in different slots too. Took out CMOS battery few times.
    Took my pc apart and put everything back in. (Yes I have all the connectors in place)
    A lot of tries spend like whole day. No go :(
    Everything seems to work, fans are spinning, led are on, vga's fans spinning, psu too.
    I had similar problem last year few times, reseating GPU like 20 times somehow solved the problem, so I think it is most likely my motherboard PCI-E lanes which have either bad contact or don't want to work at all.
    Any idea what else I could try, as I said it worked for more than half a year till yesterday.
    Psu ok (everything is spinning), 2 VGA's can't be bad borrowed from a friend today. Hdd, 3 of them can't fail at once, cooller applied correctly. Ram 2 sticks think is fine too never had any ram related error. Most likely motherboard, but, can 3 pci-e lanes get same problem at once.

ANY additional option I could try to make it work again, any ideas pls :)
    (buying changing something not an option)
    Thx

P.S. I CAN NOT HEAR THE BEEP (when loading bios it was short beep always, now there isn't.)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  2. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Something is shorted IMO. Check the back plate. Did it come with a gasket to place between the plate and board?

XSI says thanks.
  3. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    back plate is protected with some antistatic stuff. my case is metal even if it touches backplate, not a metal on it

4. Tebu New Member

Thanks Received:
    First take all hardisks and drives cords away from the motherboard. Minimum setting to motherboard: one memory stick, vga-card, jumpers to clear cmos and plug keybord with ps2 or usb(if motherboard uses/support usb keyboard in bios). If this won't work, try other vga-card or memory. Good luck !

XSI says thanks.
  5. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    XSI says thanks.
  6. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    Here is a nice guide that gives some tips on the cooler installation--> did all that thanks

7. OneMoar

OneMoar There is Always Moar

Thanks Received:
    re seat the cpu, most likely the cooler is either to tight or to lose or the cpu needs to be reseated after the change in socket tension
    else I would suspect that garbage chieftek power supply

Law-II, XSI and fullinfusion say thanks.
  8. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Throw the computer out the window. If that fails, take out mobo, psu. Place on nonconductive surface (aka do a tabletop build). Only connect optical disk + necessities. See if she boots.

If she boots, take a belt of whiskey.

If she doesn't, two belts, repeat step 1 lol

Law-II and XSI say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  9. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    Sasqui thx for the laughs :) even its not too funny for me :d.

"else I would suspect that garbage chieftek power supply" - that garbage works 6 years without any problems, was powering up overclocked system with sli. never had any problems and it isn't cheapo one like you can suspect. its is good quality 80+ unit.
    Like I said I had cpu and cooler reseated already.

10. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

+1 OneMoar

Looking at the issue clinically; only thing that changed in the setup was a cooler. I do not think the TPU community is saying have not already covered off all the logical checks; however at some point in this procedure it went wrong. So the only way to stay logical is to rebuild the system and test it outside of the case.

vga card blank screen @ Bios
    Clear CMOS: unplug 24pin 8/4pin power, remove lithium battery, short jumper [refer to user manual], [*while no hardware is attached and CPU removed]

reseat CPU; remount cooler

Use [minimal hardware setup]: PSU, Motherboard, CPU & Heatsink, Single stick of memory and vga card [plug-in keyboard and mouse - boot to bios] [*test with other RAM if possible borrow from a friend]

General Info here

note: 6 years on that PSU is great, when did the warranty run out!

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    XSI says thanks.
  11. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    Law-II says thanks.
  12. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

This below MSI included a CMOS button rather than use a jumper [dose the same job]
    Clear CMOS Button.jpg

Clear CMOS.jpg
    Manual here

atb

Law-II

13. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    Reseated everything one more time, did all you suggested, took it outside the case, cleared cmos, connected only basic hardware. connected mouse usb and keyboard PS2.
    Same stuff it starts, I see the leds and fans cpu/vga spinning. Nothing on screan and no bios BEEP sound. Tried with/withoud hdd,
    tried with 8500 Gt no power connector and 8800gt 6pin power connector. nothing.
    Tried Vga and DVi connection nothing.
    Tried different PCI-E lanes, nothing.
    Tried different ram sticks nothing.

Sasqui and Law-II say thanks.
  14. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Take a few good hi res pics of the mounted cooler and post them...
    May want to post some of the area around socket (top and bottom), with cooler removed, so the people can see any possible problems.
    Because all of the going over this, and that, does not seem to be getting anywhere.

Worked before and now does not... it has to be something that happened when you changed it out.

Got a meter; check the PSU outputs.

Again, check to be sure that the cooler is not resting on those Caps surrounding the socket or the heat pipes/chipset heatsinks.
    Does it have clearance between the memory and cooler/fan (depending on how you oriented it)? Or, is it pressing against it?
    And, you plugged in the correct CPU power connectors.

You do have a speaker connected to the header, so you can hear the Beep Codes?

XSI says thanks.
  15. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    Well I could try to post pictures later. I don't have speaker connected to the header, but there was always a beep when loading first screen before bios.
    I had same/similar problem with his pc 2-3 times before, with previous cooler.
    My bet is something wrong is with my motherboard and either i will go to test it in repair shop or ill try to get another even basic Socket Lga775 motherboard and check it from there.
    If its cpu, that would be not to hard to get it for cheap. here e8400 -e8600 possible to find for 20$ sometimes. Damn LGA775 MB are ridiculously expensive.
    New 80$ for G31- G41, old/used 40$+ crazy if you think about it is 5-6 years later.
    Too much money :) better to get new MB, AMD APU or even Pentium anniversary edition. And add new VGA later. But money is a huge deal at the moment, that's why I even bother to do something about this pc.

16. OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    did you PHYSICALLY remove the CPU from the socket and reinstall it ?

17. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    yes 3 times.

18. OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    test with anouther power supply and or different motherboard
    775 is old its about time for a upgrade

19. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    That sucks! I'll be putting up both a maximus formula x38 +E6600 and/or rampage formula x48 + E8600 for sale, but it won't be until the end of July. If you are still looking then, welcome to the TPU "bro" deal.

XSI says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  20. abbutec

abbutec

Thanks Received:
    hello , i think its a circle ( 7mm) half black , other half white , near sata,power plugs . with a scruwdriver u can shorten the 2 points inside .
    otherwise its written in the manual , maybe .
    wish u good news and stay cool ,byby

XSI says thanks.
  21. XSI

XSI

Thanks Received:
    Ok guys, looks like it was my old motherboard. Something went wrong and all 3 PCI-E stopped working. so I get a new motherboard p45 Asus P5Q Pro.
    (used but I would say pretty cheap ~45$) I can sell it soon together with my e8400 and ram add few $ and get G3258 Pentium AE with Z97 mobo.
    So thank you for your help I learned few things from your suggestions.

p.s. not related I started to play FarCry3 with this setup: CPU@3.0 Ghz. 8800GT and 1680x1050 low/medium settings and for my surprise, I can get about 40 fps LOL :D I thought I will have ~10fps :) and graphics looks amazing similar like first crisis but at much better fps.
    so don't be afraid to try new game on old system ;)

Edit: PROBLEM SOLVED THX

Law-II says thanks.