1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cant connect computers to one another

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by CrAsHnBuRnXp, Feb 4, 2008.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I bought Windows Vista about a year ago and I have yet to get it on my home network. Unlike some of my friends, I cannot just plug my machine into the router and have it instantly connect. Instead, with every computer that I want to connect to the network, I have to run the network wizard in XP (when I used XP). However, since I am running Vista, that specific way of doing it is no longer there for me to do. All computers in the house are on a wired connection. The modem is connected to the router and all the computers are connected into the router.

When I try to get my computer on the network by using the Network and Sharing center and choosing "setup a connection or network" it will tell me that Windows finds no network and I am forced to quit. Everything I find is for setting up a VPN, Internet, Dialup service, or a wireless network. I have even tried going about using the setup using a wireless network and no luck. (I am on a wired connection)

My computer has Windows Vista x64 and the other two computers have XP 32bit. I also have them on the same workgroup. I have had it do it by itself a couple of times but I'd either lose the connection to the computers or I'd have to reload an OS somewhere and screw everything up.

Dont go and say that its because of Vista and that it "sux" or w/e because I had this same issue when I had 3 XP machines. I just dont have luck with it.

FYI, everyone has internet access right now. The problem I am having is sharing files over a network.

Another issue Im having is that if for some miraculous reason I can see my brothers computer, when ever we go to try and share a file or access a hard drive it tells us that we dong have the rights when the permissions for the all shared files/folders/drives are set to full.

Anyone have any ideas? TIA

2. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Anyone?

3. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    With Vista, make sure Public folder sharing is on and password protection is off. I don't know why they took out set up a home network, because I have needed it in the past. Yet, when using my router, as you said, it just goes straight in and connects.

Now, with the permissions, I know why that happens. When you right click the drive/folder you want to share, you have to allow permissions (under the sharing tab). What I generally do is just add the object "Everyone" and set it to full permission. This is fine for me as I am the sole user of the comp (may be diff in your case).

In Vista, when doing the permissions, you have to do it in both "sharing" as well as "security".

K got screenshots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Ive been trying like hell, but I just cant get the comptuers to read one another. My computer can see itself and my brother can see himself. At one point his computer read mine, but then quickly decided that it must have been a merage and rubbed its eyes and all sight of my computer was quickly gone.

I have turned on network discovery on Vista and on the XP machien (brothers) I have run the network wizard selecting the second option since its the most viable one. (about how the computer connects through another computer or something like that)

5. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:

There is your problem ;).

You should select "Other" and then next and then the first option, which iirc, is "This computer connects directly to a hub. Other computers connect to the internet this way too"

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Ill give that a try tomorrow after work. Thanks.

7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Still a no go.

8. wc413

wc413 New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Can you ping the other machines?
    2. Have you tried to manually map a network share using UNC (ie //system/share)?

10 Year Member at TPU
  9. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Giving everyone full access is of course the dumbest thing one could do. Simply create the other users account on the machine or use the same accounts.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I allow full access to is shit that does not pertain to my OS. Otherwise everything is on another hdd that I dont have to worry about.

11. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Got it to work with my brothers computer and I can browse his external hard drive and launch things, however when he browses one of my non-essential hard drives (like my game drive) he cannot access it and I have it setup just like in the screen shot above.

Ideas?

12. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can he see anything when he goes into network?

Sounds like a firewall or something stupid blocking it :p.

Ummm...ok. Well, I can trust my family with my music partition...I don't know what its like for you, but it works good for me.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    He can see the shared drives and folders, but gets an error opening them.

I can also trust my family with the things on my hdd. Its not like I have anything super important shared.

14. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Did you do the obvious ? Making sure domain is same for both computers , updating lan drivers , setting lan parameters (e.g. power saving ) ?

10 Year Member at TPU
  15. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Aye.

16. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thats true. When going through the network setup wizard, making sure everything is consistant (eg, workgroup is set to WORKGROUP or MSNHOME on both computers). Then again...why would get get results on one computer but not the other if they werent matched :p.

What kind of error/what does it say? Permissions?

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    The workgroup is set to the same on all computers in the house. Im trying my dad's as well and that one is proving to be more difficult.

I dont know excatly what it is off hand word for word, but it was something along the lines of "You do not have suffcient rights to view this file/folder. Check with your administrator" or some bull shit like that. Ill post what it is tomorrow after work.

18. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I hate to be the one to tell you, I have Vista x64 Ultimate, Vista x64 Home Prime Premium 32bit, Home Premium 64bit and XP Home on anther rig.
    http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mi...ing-between-32-bit-64-bit-vista-ultimate.html
    Im afraid our friend at the top of that page is correct, Microsoft has not SUPPORTED a way for file sharing to work correctly between 64bit vista/xp and vista 32bit. I have managed to send files to vista x64 via sync center, but I cannot send them. If you find something out let me know! I also would like file sharing between my computers

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Pretty much the only thing I need to do is be able to get my dad's printer on teh network (so I can print from upstairs) and when I get the money, I plan on buying a 500GB external hdd that I want to share on the network so that way if I have ot backup anything from the other computers, I can throw it on there.

20. GSG-9

GSG-9

Thanks Received:
    I have a 500Gb drive on my desktop that I cannot share with my laptop (but I have been able to since my music folder on my laptop to my desktop, but not viceversa) but I cannot get my desktop or laptop (both a 64bit version of vista) to print to the other desktop running Windows XP.

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    :banghead:

So what the fuck am I to do then? Im pretty much wasting my time at this piont then unless all machines in the house are either XP or Vista x64. And im not going back to XP. :)

This was a stupid fucking move on Microsoft's part.

22. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    That sucks. I don't have 64 bit Windows and XP/Vista work fine together (both 32). Maybe they have addressed this issue in SP1.

10 Year Member at TPU
  23. francis511

francis511

Thanks Received:
    Got any wireless kit ?

10 Year Member at TPU
  24. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    I dont run vista 64 but I had many of the same issues. With my network, the problem was caused by XP Home. I had to install the link layer topology discovery on XP to be able to see everything, then turned off password protected sharing in Vista, then created an identical user name on the Vista machine WITH NO PASSWORD. Only then could the Xp machine access Vista files and only in accordance with the new users permissions.

25. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I dont. All wired.