• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't get 9800 heatsink out

eXecut0r

HI everybody :D

I have a Powercolor 9800se. I bought a arctic cooling silencer 1 rev2 because my card is softmoded...works just fine without the cooler but I wanna give it an extra cool :D.

the problem is that I don`t know how to remove the heatsink.

After I unscrew the 4 knobs and remove the cooler..the heatsink remains that is caught in 2 nail thingies.

In the arctic cooling manual there's a totaly different type of nail..the type where you squeeze it with the pliers and it comes easily throught the hole, well.. mine is different..the end of the nail (tip) is bigger than the hole and can't be squezed...it's kinda forced into it.

Any tips of how to get it out ? some pics would be splendid.

I tried to draw a image ..not very good one..I just wanna show you the type of barb ( nail ) I have.

http://img287.imageshack.us/my.php?image=problem4wh.jpg

intel igent

System Name old school / new school
Processor 3.0e C0 @ 3.6 / e5200
Motherboard p4p800e-dlx / p5q-DLX
Cooling custom water see sig / air
Memory 2x1g oczPC4000EbPl / 2x2g ocz2rpr1066
Video Card(s) 3850AGP / 4890vaporX
Storage 36g raptor+120g wd / wd 1001fals 1tb
Display(s) BenQ / sharpAQUOS LC-37D64U
Case modded antec plusview / generic
Audio Device(s) audigy 2zs / ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3
Power Supply fan/cable modded powerstream 520 / OCZ 700mxsp
Software Xp pro SP2 / VISTA ultimate OEM
sorry 4 no pics but...................

there is a small pin in the centre of that plug which must be pushed through in order to pull the plug out, try using a needle to push the pin.

hope it helps?

eXecut0r

wich plug ? you mean the barb ? on what side of the card ? the heatsink side or the back ?

Thanks for the help and sry for the many questions..but I`m not that good at english and these technical terms...

I`ll have to go now for 1-1,5 hours.. i`LL By a better pliers..smaller and more finese ones

eXecut0r

Accidentaly I pushed needle 2 hard :D and found out what it was about.

So I guess if it dies now on me can't take it back to the shop :D and get a new one ^^.

How do I tell if it works ?

play a game and if it doesn't crash GG ?
is there a program that can tell the temperature of my gpu ( powercolor radeon 9800 SE)

that cooler doesn't seem to get much air out..hope it's better than the stock.

Thanks again Intellect ! you've been a great help :D.

eXecut0r

The only "problem" would be that I couldn't clean the cpu completly of the sticky paste...I did my best but couldn't get it as it got out from teh factory.

And I put all the paste they gived me with the cooler...does this affect the circuits arround the cpu ? the sticky paste and thermalconductor glue ?

Anyway, I can really tell it's working cuz of all the hot air getting out throught the back of the PC.

This ain't the best cooling solution (a zalman 10c I think it's the best cuz of the sandwich heatsink) but it's definetly worth 20$ . Practical and a good price.

Don't think it can stand an overclocking.. :D not even gonna try it ^^.

turbopsi

Alcohol will get that old thermalpaste right off, you can clean the whole area with it.

BTW, sometimes you have to use an exacto knife to cut the barbs a lil bit, I have no idea why manufacters force those things in like they do.

It would be nice to be able to take it off safely. :rolleyes:

EDIT: High purity (70% or more) isopropyl alcohol that is... Don't go pouring smirnoff all on it. :p

eXecut0r

Well 2 late :D my cooler is already installed and it seems to work just fine..hot air coming out of it :D

they forced it like this so you can`t mod it without losing your waranty.

buy I showed them :))

my 1st card busted after 5 minutes of moding

this one lasted 1 year with it's stock cooler..but soon it will get out (it already did) out waranty..so I want to be safe.

thanks again guys