• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't get my cpu core clock to stay at 3.4 ghz in ThrottleStop anymore

Patanal

System Name Obsidian-N850HK
Processor Intel i7-7700HQ
Motherboard Intel® HM175 Chipset
Memory 16 GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) Intel Integrated Graphics(viceo out), GTX 1050 Ti
Storage Samsung 960 evo 250gb(bootdrive), Samsung 850 evo 500gb
Display(s) Tn Panel
Case Laptop Clevo
Software Windows 10 Pro
Some days ago I updated throttlestop from 8.60 to 8.70 and for some reason i can't get my cpu to stay at ~3.4 ghz. I tried to downgrade back to 8.60 but got no good results. Am I doing something wrong? I need some help here :)

Ps: Power Mode in windows is in best performance.
FIVR.PNGTS.PNG

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I used TS a long time ago but I remember that I used to check the multiplier and change it manually.

Patanal

Memory 16 GB 2400MHZ
Display(s) Tn Panel
Case Laptop Clevo
Software Windows 10 Pro
I used TS a long time ago but I remember that I used to check the multiplier and change it manually.
Tried it, it's still fluctuating :(
Multiplier.PNG

Patanal

Memory 16 GB 2400MHZ
Display(s) Tn Panel
Case Laptop Clevo
Software Windows 10 Pro
Tried that, still going up and down like a balerina :(
Speedstep off.PNG

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Try to increase icc to 35A and offset voltage to 0.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
If you want a steady multiplier then you need to turn off all of the C states including C1E, C3, C6 and C7. Most laptops do not let you toggle the C States on and off in the bios but there is a registry mod you can use if you want to see what your laptop is like with the C States disabled.
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm

Go to the above registry key and set Start to 4 to disable the C2/C3/C6/C7 low power core and package C states. Default value for this is 3. You will need to reboot to see any change.

After doing this, ThrottleStop will show you that your CPU is consuming more power and running hotter. You can go back to the original value anytime you like.

After you disable the C states, the 7700HQ will not have access to the 35, 36, 37 or 38 multiplier so in any single threaded task, your CPU will run slower.

Your screenshot shows that you have Speed Shift enabled (SST in green). Windows 10 uses this on many newer CPUs. When Speed Shift is enabled, the older SpeedStep (Set Multiplier) will not do anything. You need to set the Speed Shift EPP value to 0 for maximum performance. You can also use the Speed Shift Max value to cap the maximum multiplier.

Edit - The result. A nice steady multiplier across all threads even when the CPU is idle. Idle temps are up 15°C even with the fan spinning a little faster.

Compare that to having C states enabled. Now the CPU can access its higher turbo multipliers, it consumes less power and runs cooler. For a laptop, I like C states on. There are some unique situations like music production where disabling the C states to minimize latency can be a good thing.

Last edited:

Patanal

Memory 16 GB 2400MHZ
Display(s) Tn Panel
Case Laptop Clevo
Software Windows 10 Pro
If you want a steady multiplier then you need to turn off all of the C states including C1E, C3, C6 and C7. Most laptops do not let you toggle the C States on and off in the bios but there is a registry mod you can use if you want to see what your laptop is like with the C States disabled.
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intelppm

Go to the above registry key and set Start to 4 to disable the C2/C3/C6/C7 low power core and package C states. Default value for this is 3. You will need to reboot to see any change.

After doing this, ThrottleStop will show you that your CPU is consuming more power and running hotter. You can go back to the original value anytime you like.

After you disable the C states, the 7700HQ will not have access to the 35, 36, 37 or 38 multiplier so in any single threaded task, your CPU will run slower.

Your screenshot shows that you have Speed Shift enabled (SST in green). Windows 10 uses this on many newer CPUs. When Speed Shift is enabled, the older SpeedStep (Set Multiplier) will not do anything. You need to set the Speed Shift EPP value to 0 for maximum performance. You can also use the Speed Shift Max value to cap the maximum multiplier.

Edit - The result. A nice steady multiplier across all threads even when the CPU is idle. Idle temps are up 15°C even with the fan spinning a little faster.

Compare that to having C states enabled. Now the CPU can access its higher turbo multipliers, it consumes less power and runs cooler. For a laptop, I like C states on. There are some unique situations like music production where disabling the C states to minimize latency can be a good thing.

Man I tried everything but still isn't working. I did regedit "Start" to 4 and set icc to 35 A all of these I did in order not in the same time. Now I have both settings on and still nothing
Reg Edit to 4 and icc to 35A.PNG

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
In your screenshot above now you have Speed Shift disabled. SST is no longer green on the main screen. When Speed Shift is disabled, the Speed Shift - EPP setting that you have checked and set to 0 does not do anything. You have to decide whether you will be using Speed Shift or not using Speed Shift. Enable it in the TPL window.

If you do not plan to use Speed Shift, then you need to enable SpeedStep. The Set Multiplier function depends on this being enabled.

Does the C State window show that all of your C states are disabled? Are you using the Windows high performance power profile with the minimum processor state set to 100%? Your Windows power plan settings might be interfering with your quest for a steady multiplier.

Last edited:

Patanal

Memory 16 GB 2400MHZ
Display(s) Tn Panel
Case Laptop Clevo
Software Windows 10 Pro
I think I got it. But I'm not using throttlestop anymore. Yes I had 100% min and 100% max in power settings.
In your screenshot above now you have Speed Shift disabled. SST is no longer green on the main screen. When Speed Shift is disabled, the Speed Shift - EPP setting that you have checked and set to 0 does not do anything. You have to decide whether you will be using Speed Shift or not using Speed Shift. Enable it in the TPL window.

If you do not plan to use Speed Shift, then you need to enable SpeedStep. The Set Multiplier function depends on this being enabled.

Does the C State window show that all of your C states are disabled? Are you using the Windows high performance power profile with the minimum processor state set to 100%? Your Windows power plan settings might be interfering with your quest for a steady multiplier.

Attachments

• No ThrottleStop only usinng c states 4.PNG
    No ThrottleStop only usinng c states 4.PNG
    48.4 KB · Views: 815