• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cant get same download speed as speedtest

Processor Intel core i9 13900ks sp117 direct die
Motherboard Asus Maximus Apex Z790
Cooling Custom loop 3*360 45mm thick+ 3 x mo-ra3 420 +Dual D5 pump and dual ddc pump
Memory 2x24gb Gskill 8800c38
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090 Strix
Storage 1TB Samsung 860Evo,2*2tb Samsung 970Evo Plus, 1tb Intel 660p nvme
Display(s) Sammsung G7 32”
Case Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Omni 5.1 usb sound card
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Model O-
Keyboard Hyper X Alloy Origin Core
I test on speedtest and it shows 450/20 and my ISP speed is 400/20. However, when I download a file from youtube, it hit 55mb/s for a few second then stable at 30 mb/s. How come? Is it because youtube server or my isp or my router and AP? Thank you.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Try downloading from a few other sources to find out.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
Reactions: 64K

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
This is so broad and education on the subject is so sparse its hard to get people upto speed. I almost feel like people do the opposite and spread mis-information (not in regards to this thread, more like random gaming outlets when gamers finally learn what a network is.).

Lets explain a few things first.

This is my internet speed represented by a speed test to a local server very close to my location and CONNECTED to my provider.

I pay for 500/500

This is the same speed test across the country to LA for sake of argument, same provider.

Your first thought is that distance matters and you would only be kind of right.

What really matters here is transit.

I would probably pull close to 500/500 (accounting for a little loss) but that is if I had a 3200 mile fiber run to the router in LA. (and other engineering stuff we wont get into like the optics required to make that even happen)

No in this case we are relying on transit. Let's take a look. In this case I know that the speedtest server I used specifically was lax.host.speedtest.net. So lets trace that and see who we touched. Now this isn't definitive, alot of times core and edge routers are set to ignore ICMP requests. In these cases they show up as asterisks *. This should still suffice for our example. (we won't get into MTR here)

In this case we can see that it left my local POP at hop 3 and then arrived at miami in hop 4. Following that we see the various *'s as mentioned before this is either peering or frontiers own backhaul to CA.

Moments later we see the first Edge router respond indicating it has hit a POP that will now delegate traffic to its final destination. This happens in hop 9 when it finally lands in the greater LA network.

The thing is That server, that data center. Those routers, those different providers, all of them will add latency and speed decreases (though not mutually exclusive) depending on congestion or just inefficiency.

Thats a astronauts view of networking hardware and route awareness.

The next is generally software, or physical.

Youtube for example maintains a buffer. Thats why when first clicking on a video you get a tremendous amount of bandwidth usage until youtubes CDN determines that you have a significant buffer for you video. At this point it will decrease the amount of data transmit to only the level needed to maintain the buffer. This makes it easier on CDN and provider networks. It helps ease congestion and over all network performance. Not to mention what if you stop it? If a 10 hour video is 6GB and you stop watching after 20min youtube does not want to transmit all 6GB of data. Remember transit is expensive!

Finally software regulation (not in the context of QoS) affects many platforms. MMOs, online only, and online connected games and video services. This is not unique to youtube.

Generally lastly is physical elements. From your home modem getting hot and clocking down, to noise on the line itself or maybe just the "last mile" to your house having cables in bad shape all of this including things like HDD reads from the source (like streaming a movie from a home server.) or CPU usage while decoding, can all affect how internet usage changes.

If you think that was long winded I held myself back considerably. In short what you are experiencing is not necessarily alarming but should you actually believe it an issue reboot your router/modem or talk to your ISP and explain the problem.

Last edited:
System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
For a little more clarification:

POP = Point of presence. This is the physical location where your ISP connects you to the Internet backbone. In my case, that is 10 miles away from my home, in the next town over! This is why location services may not show the closest McDonald's to your house - it may show the closest to the POP.

Hop may be obvious but just to be sure, there is not a continuous cable from your home to the destination. Using the Tampa to LA example. The cable may run from Tampa to Atlanta where one router hands your connection off to another. Then it goes on a cable from Atlanta to Dallas, then another Dallas to Phoenix, then finally Phoenix to LA. Then in LA to the closest POP to your final destination. Each one of those "hand off" locations is called a hop.

And while all this happens pretty quick, especially with fiber and light, as Solaris notes, it still takes time. And while this is all going on, error checking and correction is happening too. It is not uncommon for "packets" (chunks of data) to get dropped or lost. And then that packet may need to be resent, adding more time. Time lost is called "latency". And it all adds up to keep you from getting your full 400Mbps.

Clear as mud, huh?

FTR, while I live in the Omaha area and SpeedTest typically wants to check with a local sever, I always pick Washington DC. As it happens, from Omaha to the SpeedTest server in Washington DC, it is exactly 1000 miles. By always using that same distant end, it gives me a better - not crystal clear, but better - picture of what is happening with my Internet connect.