• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't get sound out of HDMI on GPU

Processor Ryzen 7 3700x 8 Core - No All Core OC, just PBO.
Motherboard Asus Prime B450M-A II
Cooling AresGame River 5 Single Tower Air Cooler
Memory 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) PNY Blower 1080TI - Undervolted 800mv 1700mhz effective.
Storage 1TB Silicon Power A60 Boot Drive / 1TB HDD 7200RPM / 256GB Plextor SATA SSD
Display(s) 27'' Sceptre 165Hz 1080p
Case Zalman Z3 ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 600W
Mouse Razer Deathadder V2
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 Membrane Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Ill try to make this short. Thanks in advance for any replies and help.

I'm using a ATI 5670 GPU in my living room to occasionally watch shows with. It works fine and does the job well. Problem is I am unable to get any sound direct using the HDMI only. I have to bring speakers with me. I have checked and made sure drivers are up to date. I've messed around with sound control panel trying different defaults and multiple different things just trying to get the sound out of there.

I looked through Catalyst for anything about sound and nothing I see in the control panel. I've also googled this problem using the card name and haven't found much help except people stating that it is possible.

I'm making this thread in hopes there is something I have not thought of. I must mention, I do not have an extra HDMI cable to try. I have tried 4 different HDMI ports on the television. On my TV menu I have changed the one sound option which is ''Digital Audio'' with the option of RAW or PCM/PSM (unsure). I have just ''fiddled'' with a bunch of things trying to get this to work.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning is this wouldn't be a big deal but I only have 1 pair of speakers and no headsets/headphones. So that is why I need to bring them back and forth. It wouldn't bother me to hook up a permanent pair in the living room. I'm using 10$ logitechs and they work fine. So if anyone has any old cheap speakers shoot me a PM maybe.

cameronh779

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I had a 5870 I used HDMI sound on, I don't remember any issues that were not either a bad (sightly) cable (HDMI) or drivers, try the latest legacy drivers from and or you can download the gfx HDMI driver directly from realtek's website.
Also in the sound options menu found by right clicking the sound icon bottom right of desktop does it show HDMI sound options, try right clicking in this list and enable " show disconnected devices" and "show removed devices". See if it shows there and can be set as default.

Storage 1TB Silicon Power A60 Boot Drive / 1TB HDD 7200RPM / 256GB Plextor SATA SSD
Software Windows 10
I had a 5870 I used HDMI sound on, I don't remember any issues that were not either a bad (sightly) cable (HDMI) or drivers, try the latest legacy drivers from and or you can download the gfx HDMI driver directly from realtek's website.
Also in the sound options menu found by right clicking the sound icon bottom right of desktop does it show HDMI sound options, try right clicking in this list and enable " show disconnected devices" and "show removed devices". See if it shows there and can be set as default.

Removed a working cable from our HD cable box that carries sound/video. Didn't work. I have also went into the sound window in control panel and set as default, disabled other devices, and tried many many different things just tinkering. I have still been trying other solutions I see on other forums and such with no luck. Maybe the audio chip is fried. I will try to reinstall the drivers even though they are up to date.

I really feel as I have tried about everything.

EDIT: Just disabled onboard sound in the BIOS and am about to install the Realtek driver instead of the ATI one.

Last edited:
System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
EDIT: Just disabled onboard sound in the BIOS and am about to install the Realtek driver instead of the ATI one.

That doesn't make any sense at all. If onboard sound is disabled, there isn't any hardware to install a Realtek driver for. Should only be an ATI sound device shown in the Sound Controllers section of the Device Manager.

Software Windows 10
That doesn't make any sense at all. If onboard sound is disabled, there isn't any hardware to install a Realtek driver for. Should only be an ATI sound device shown in the Sound Controllers section of the Device Manager.

Just trying different things. Something I read by searching for a solution. I reeanabled with the driver and still no luck.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Cooling ID Cooling SE_225-XT Black with noctua fans
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB TWIN EDGE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
In the windows sound option you need to change the setting to hdmi like in my pic and that is all you should need to do and nothing else, also use the HDMI sound driver that should be installed with ATI drivers as the one from the realtek site does not work for everyone.

Also try a different cable inless you have already ruled that out.

If all else fails do you have a DVI to HDMI converter by any chance? If you do can you please try that as i used to use one for a while and still got sound out of it.

Attachments

• 12.png
    12.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 799
Last edited:
Software Windows 10
In the windows sound option you need to change the setting to hdmi like in my pic and that is all you should need to do and nothing else, also use the HDMI sound driver that should be installed with ATI drivers as the one from the realtek site does not work for everyone.

Also try a different cable inless you have already ruled that out.

If all else fails do you have a DVI to HDMI converter by any chance? If you do can you please try that as i used to use one for a while and still got sound out of it.

I've done all that except the DVI to HDMI converter which I dont have. I think the sound chip on the card may be gone. Its an old card. I think its better for me to grab a cheap pair of speakers to be honest.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Just to make things clear(er)

You have all the drivers installed, including the audio driver that comes in the driver package for your card.
In the PC's Playback devices, "AMD HDMI output" is selected as the default.
http://support.amd.com/PublishingImages/Support/GPU-70-Win7-sound-panel-HDMI.png

And if you click that and click properties, you have the levels set properly.
And if you click advanced and hit that Test button you hear nothing?
And changing the sample rate etc still results in a test with no sound?
But you do see that its sending a sound with the little audio bars behind "AMD HDMI output" on the previous window when pressing test on the other, or not that either?

Last edited:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Just to make things clear(er)

You have all the drivers installed, including the audio driver that comes in the driver package for your card.
In the PC's Playback devices, "AMD HDMI output" is selected as the default.
http://support.amd.com/PublishingImages/Support/GPU-70-Win7-sound-panel-HDMI.png

And if you click that and click properties, you have the levels set properly.
And if you click advanced and hit that Test button you hear nothing?
And changing the sample rate etc still results in a test with no sound?
But you do see that its sending a sound with the little audio bars behind "AMD HDMI output" on the previous window when pressing test on the other or not that either?
It might have slipped pass you but is the volume on the tv on high enough ???

Kursah

Super Moderator
Staff member
System Name Kursah's Gaming Rig 2018 (2022 Upgrade) - Ryzen+ Edition | Gaming Laptop (Lenovo Legion 5i Pro 2022)
Processor R7 5800X @ Stock | i7 12700H @ Stock
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming BIOS 6203| Legion 5i Pro NM-E231
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S Push-Pull + NT-H1 | Stock Cooling
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32GB (2x16) DDR4 4000 @ 3600 18-20-20-42 1.35v | 32GB DDR5 4800 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 JetStream 12GB | CPU-based Intel Iris XE + RTX 3070 8GB 150W
Storage 4TB SP UD90 NVME, 960GB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD | 1TB Samsung OEM NVME SSD + 4TB Crucial P3 Plus NVME SSD
Display(s) Acer 28" 4K VG280K x2 | 16" 2560x1600 built-in
Case Corsair 600C - Stock Fans on Low | Stock Metal/Plastic
Audio Device(s) Aune T1 mk1 > AKG K553 Pro + JVC HA-RX 700 (Equalizer APO + PeaceUI) | Bluetooth Earbuds (BX29)
Power Supply EVGA 750G2 Modular + APC Back-UPS Pro 1500 | 300W OEM (heavy use) or Lenovo Legion C135W GAN (light)
Mouse Logitech G502 | Logitech M330
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB | Built in Keyboard (Lenovo laptop KB FTW)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 | Windows 11 Home x64
Ill try to make this short. Thanks in advance for any replies and help.

I'm using a ATI 5670 GPU in my living room to occasionally watch shows with. It works fine and does the job well. Problem is I am unable to get any sound direct using the HDMI only. I have to bring speakers with me. I have checked and made sure drivers are up to date. I've messed around with sound control panel trying different defaults and multiple different things just trying to get the sound out of there.

I looked through Catalyst for anything about sound and nothing I see in the control panel. I've also googled this problem using the card name and haven't found much help except people stating that it is possible.

I'm making this thread in hopes there is something I have not thought of. I must mention, I do not have an extra HDMI cable to try. I have tried 4 different HDMI ports on the television. On my TV menu I have changed the one sound option which is ''Digital Audio'' with the option of RAW or PCM/PSM (unsure). I have just ''fiddled'' with a bunch of things trying to get this to work.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning is this wouldn't be a big deal but I only have 1 pair of speakers and no headsets/headphones. So that is why I need to bring them back and forth. It wouldn't bother me to hook up a permanent pair in the living room. I'm using 10$ logitechs and they work fine. So if anyone has any old cheap speakers shoot me a PM maybe.

cameronh779

So I have a now 5 year-old Sasmung TV, forget the model and am not at home... but when I plug into the HDMI 1 port which then must be changed to PC Mode for 4:4:4, clearer letters, etc. I lose the ability for sound. I forgot about this and recently had tried testing the speakers on the TV as I haven't had PC speakers hooked up to my PC for some time...since I use headphones when at my desk. But apparently due to the screen/image processing for performing the clearer image for using as PC input...I lose the ability for sound output over HDMI. Though if I turn off the PC Image option, the screen is a little fuzzy due to lax processing and I have sound. I prefer a clear image and my headphones...but makes me wonder if this is something you're dealing with?

What is the specific model of TV? I'm surprised nobody asked this.

How do you have the TV configured on that HDMI input?

What have you tried to change on the TV-side?

Are you willing to add a headphone jack to RCA cable to the equation to bypass using HDMI for sound if your TV doesn't support HDMI-audio and a PC image signal? Something like this, I have and works well in other uses (connecting smartphone to my Denon AVR for instance, so my wife can listen to her music... this was Pre-Roku, now she streams everything lol).

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
Sounds like an EDID issue, thanks HDCP!

In case I missed it, what is your sequence? Is it straight HDMI out from GFX to tv input or is there something in between?

Software Windows 10
Thanks everyone! Ill try to answer all questions. Yes the TV was at max volume trying to hear anything.

@ZoneDymo

Yes I am 100% sure it is set as default. I must say one good question you asked that may point to it being fried is you asked if the sound bar bounced around and it does not and it never has through everything ive tried.

And if you click that and click properties, you have the levels set properly. Yes.
And if you click advanced and hit that Test button you hear nothing? It says another device is using it. I have checked task manager and disabled anything that could be using it.
But you do see that its sending a sound with the little audio bars behind "AMD HDMI output" on the previous window when pressing test on the other, or not that either? Thats another thing, it doesn't bounce around at all.

@Kursah
What is the specific model of TV? I'm surprised nobody asked this. Insignia NSL32Q09-10A

How do you have the TV configured on that HDMI input? I dont quite understand the question. I just switch over the video input. Which worked the same way with the cable box we have which also sends sounds.

What have you tried to change on the TV-side? On my TV menu I have changed the one sound option which is ''Digital Audio'' with the option of RAW or PCM/PSM (unsure). Only option that is there through checking.

I would absolutely be willing to try one of those cables! But its close to the same price as a pair of speakers. :/

Just looked through all the menu options on the TV and there isn't anything except that one option I spoke of above. Nothing that would even hint towards a possibility. Also checked the remote and all. I've generally done most everything and tinkered with it for hours.

System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??
I think it's EDID, being an Insignia it's likely. Do you have SPDIF/optical/toslink input on your Tv? If so, try and use it for a workaround. Use the HDMI for your video and the toslink for your audio via your MoBo onboard. Might work?

Software Windows 10
I think it's EDID, being an Insignia it's likely. Do you have SPDIF/optical/toslink input on your Tv? If so, try and use it for a workaround. Use the HDMI for your video and the toslink for your audio via your MoBo onboard. Might work?

I may or may not have the cables. TV also have a 3.5mm green jack on the back as well. Don't know if I had a male/male 3.5mm if that would work as well. But I will figure something out. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that I could have done.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
This was only the second Gen of HDMI as may not even have a sound chip. What card exactly is it? And what motherboard

Last edited:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
From AMD Web Site
  • Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI with no additional cables required
  • Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Cooling ID Cooling SE_225-XT Black with noctua fans
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB TWIN EDGE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
@cameronh779 can you post a pic of your sound settings please not that it will help but i am interested in looking anyway just incase i spot something.

That card should have no issues using HDMI for sound as my old HD4650 used to work fine and its an older card.

Also did you try to install the HDMI driver from realtek? I know i asked this before but what i have noticed with a few ati cards i have used is if i install that driver my HDMI sound is totaly lost and i think its because that driver is designed for specific motherboards or only some types of GPU.

You mention your screen has a green 3.5mil jack aswell so if you realy wanted to then you could just use the onboard sound and plug direct to the tv but you might have to change a setting so the TV knows to use the jack input.

Last edited:
Software Windows 10
Guys, I have done ALL these things. I'm thinking its the TV. It has no settings to change in sound and seems to be very basic. I have tried realtek drivers and ATI drivers. I've done everything.

Motherboard is an Intel DG31PR.

System Name Box
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI Meg Ace Max 570S
Cooling Corsair h150i Elite Capellix 360 white
Memory 16 GB Teamforce DDR 4 4500 (2x8) CL18
Video Card(s) Aorus 1080ti
Storage NVMe: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, WD_BLACK SN770 2TB, Crucial P5 Plus 2TB, spinners: 3TB, 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 1080p
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic white - fans: 2x140mm, 7x120mm
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply EVGA G2 850
Mouse Razor DeathAdder 3.5G
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Win10 pro
Benchmark Scores later
can your tv mix and match inputs? by that i mean select hdmi for video and optical/coax/rca for sound.

long shot as my 5 year old samsung tv cannot but my denon receiver can.

for instance if i have it set wrong on the denon i would get picture but no sound or visa versa. i know you said its a basic tv to check. might be buried in a menu somewhere as its not a generally used setting. hey i will only take a few minutes to check the tv menus again..

also in windows you can select 48/96/192 hz sound as opposed to 44 hz. maybe that is not set to 44.1 and the tv does not like it. also check 16 bit sound as opposed to 24 bit?

Last edited: