• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Can't install XP Mode in Win7

Well, in fact i can, but after installation, i'm supoose to get icons in start menu. But i don't.
And i can't do anaything with the damn thing. I've checked program files and all i can find there are some stupid scripts and VHD image. But no damn executables. WTF!?

System Name Cast Lead™
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600 CPU @ 3.50GHz
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX H270F GAMING
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED
Memory G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
Storage Seagate 1TB 7200 rpm
Display(s) LG 24MP59G
Case Green Z4
Audio Device(s) Realtek High Definition Audio
Power Supply Green 650 UK Gold
Software Windows 10™ Pro 64 bit
you can install only on Windows 7Professional /Windows 7Ultimate

I'm using Win7 Ultimate, so that shouldn't be an issue. Besides, i'm sure i'd get an error message if i wasn't allowed to install it on my edition.

It installs fine but i don't get any shortcuts and no wizard ever starts after installation (like i'm reading in tutorials on net and in MS help files which are even weirder).

I'm just following these steps:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

But i'm not getting the desired effect. I just don't get it.

Last edited:
System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Do you have the Virtualization technology for your CPU activated in the Bios?

It should look like this when everything is installed right:

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
i thought u had to install some virtual machine program thing to, i could be wrong tho but im sure i have read about it being needed.

lol the poster above beat me to it about the virtual pc thing.

I thought that's kinda obvious isn't it? It's not that i can't install it like that, i don't have ANY means to run it. There are no executables, no shortcuts, nothing AT ALL. Like i haven't installed anything. I just got VHD file in Program Files folder and and some other useless files. How can i configure it if i can't execute anything. That's my problem, not VT tech or wrong edition of OS.

Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Mouse Logitech G700
I thought that's kinda obvious isn't it? It's not that i can't install it like that, i don't have ANY means to run it. There are no executables, no shortcuts, nothing AT ALL. Like i haven't installed anything. I just got VHD file in Program Files folder and and some other useless files. How can i configure it if i can't execute anything. That's my problem, not VT tech or wrong edition of OS.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/ - install this first

Mouse Logitech G700
BTW the XP mode sucks cause it emulates hardware from like 1989 and you cant use your current devices there...

It seems that for some reason i didn't get second link where i had to download VirtualPC. Just the first one. But now i got it. Weird. I guess it'll work now...

BTW the XP mode sucks cause it emulates hardware from like 1989 and you cant use your current devices there...

Are you talking about previous versions of microsoft virtualpc (2007sp1 comes to mind) that rely on software for virtualization...

i would certainly hope allowing access to your hardware through the bios would give you quite a few more options than a Pentium 3 (unless installed on a Pentium 3 based machine) than that of previous iterations of microsoft software products.

Nah, he's talking about emulation of different components. The gfx card in emulated environment doesn't have the same HW functions as your physical one in host OS. Usually that means no HW Direct3D and stuff like that. Well, at least that was the case for VirtualPC 2007 and i don't think this has changed lately. Apart from resource sharing between host and client.
You can get 3D, just not through Direct3D. You have to use Software rendering.

okay.. that makes perfect sense now...i wasnt thinking about graphics at all:)

thinking about this..Intel have made huge development in the virtualization market, i wonder if nvidia could develop something similar with cuda...that would impress me

I think it all depends on how successful Windows 7 will be (and XP Mode with it).
If there is enough interest, there is a chance that other vendors will try to add features like this to Virtual Machine. Not sure how you'd utilize CUDA directly in it, but true 3D hardware aceleration inside VM would be nice indeed.