• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Capcom Says Mod Support For PC Games Takes Too Much Time, Resources

zootac

Capcom Says Mod Support For PC Games Takes Too Much Time, Resources

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Ca...ames-Takes-Too-Much-Time-Resources-40782.html

You know how way back in the day -- the Golden Age of gaming, as we oftentimes call it -- you could buy a PC game and then download a software development kit for it and mod the heck out of it? Well, those days are long gone.

In place of modding tools in today's industry we have SDKs from game engine developers, such as Unity Technologies, Epic Games and soon id Software. Capcom's senior vice president, Christian Svensson explains why, on Capcom's front, there isn't official mod support and it all boils down to resources.

EventHubs picked up the quote from the Capcom Unity forum boards, where Svensson reponds to a series of gamer questions about the company embracing the modding community for Capcom games, saying...
I love the modding scenes that have popped up around our games and at some point in time I'd love to see us do more actively to enable those efforts.

That said, there's a lot of hand wringing within the legal and IP depts when it comes to modding though. The concept of a derivative work starts to muddy the water of who owns the product or the mods. Secondly, modding opens up the community to infringe upon others' IP (say, a skin for Ryu made to look like Goku from DragonballZ). If we're enabling that ability, we also need to be able to police it and remove those infringing pieces from the community as we could have the liability in those cases, which takes time and resources. I think there are ways to work around that via a EULA and stuff, however there's a large hurdle to get folks past.

Firstly, what is Sven talking about EULA, legality and protecting IP? It's a freaking modding community. Where the heck has Capcom been for the past 20 years of modding where pop-cultural entities are creatively modded into a game? Heck, all the top mods for Max Payne are recreations of The Matrix or Equilibrium (they're quite awesome, too). Modders tossed 3D Realms' Duke Nukem into Doom and modders also tossed the Doom Guy into Duke Nukem 3D. Has Capcom just been out of touch to not have seen Spider-Man and Superman in Grand Theft Auto IV or Link from The Legend of Zelda in Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Mod tools or not, modders have been "infringing" on intellectual property for years. Like all of a sudden it starts if Capcom decides to officially support it the way DICE used to, the way id Software used to, and the way Epic Games used to? It's just tools, they don't need to get into the modding community any further than just "opening" up the game more for the community.

How about I just say what his PR spiel prevented him from saying: "Our legal department can't seem to find a loophole for us to make money on mod creations without infringing on the copyrights of other material, so we're not going to waste resources on something that won't make us more money from those endeavors."

Anyways, Svensson had more to share about the modding scene. Something that will probably bring question marks to the heads of modders...
Lastly, there's the emotional connection some of the producers have to their games. Rationally or not, they don't want people changing the experience or the characters they've labored for 2+ years over. I don't agree but I know I've had exactly this conversation with a few producers in Japan on that front.

Haha, really? There's so much wrong with that sentiment that it's not worth discussing.

Anyways, it's funny because the modding community made Resident Evil 4 actually playable for the PC given that the textures, shader support, controls and graphics were completely screwed up and it was no where near as polished as the GameCube or PS2 version. If it wasn't for the modding community I don't think anyone could ever bother to play Resident Evil 4 on PC, which is sad.

But for those of you hoping for official mod support for Street Fighter X Tekken or Resident Evil 6 on PC, it doesn't sound like it's going to happen. Oh well, I guess you modders will just have to stick with doing what you do best all on your own.

Oh, and closing out the interview, one user noted that Capcom should no longer call it DLC since it's clearly not downloadable (although it is disc-locked content) and that maybe they should call it time-release content. Svensson briefly responded with "Noted. Thank you for the suggestion."

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
It´s a shame that Crapcom decides it´s not worth it.

Oh! i´m sorry i mean Capcom, my bad!

zootac

It´s a shame that Crapcom decides it´s not worth it.

Oh! i´m sorry i mean Capcom, my bad!

Its sad two read why crapcom have give up on the p.c. gamers.
There was good games way back in the old days there seem like all the rest now tho.
Its all ways just cash cows us gamers are to them now.

News?

They have been proven to lock "DLC" onto their initial release disks. They have released "ultimate" versions of their games, which barely met their initial promises of features on the initial game. They've done all of this, and completely given the multi-player gamers the finger by not supporting them.

Capcom saying that they won't support their products after release isn't news, it's their standard operating procedure. EA and Ubisoft suck, but Capcom is tonguing the bottom of the crap barrel. It's been this way for the better part of the last 10 years...

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
The mod community is and always will be what keeps some games alive long enough to be remembered. Aresholes like this just release farts into the wind.

TES, HL1/2, Garrys.....what was that again..., CIV always allowed mods, alot of other games allowed it too. A common theme among all these is the open ability to change things to fit your style. And all that is required is a disclaimer from the producer that you shoudn't use copyright materials as provisioned for protection by the law.

Remember "Fair Use" I do, but he obviously does not.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
Capcom and Shame in the same sentence, . . . . . . nothing new there

what did you expect from main advocate of "hey lets put the content on the disc and charge for it later as DLC" . . . . . . . .

I used to love em but now I wouldn't even spit on them(waste of spit), times have changed . . . . . . .

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Cooling Antec 1100+3 fans
Memory 2x8gig 1600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Saphire 7950 Vapour X
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Display(s) 26in LCD 1920x1200 8 bit+37in 1080p HDTV
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG+Z5500D
Power Supply Antec 650 Hi current
Software W7 64
Don't underestimate the other guys greed.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
Greedy f...s, oh wait, i am supposed to behave. Still, greedy f...s.

System Name Classy Gal
Processor i7 2600K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX1070 FE
Storage 2x120GB Vertex 3 - 1x1TB WD
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Coolermaster Cosmos S
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Titanium HD
Power Supply Seasonic M12II 750W
Software Win10 / Linux Mint
What i don't understand is people getting mad because the content is in the disk, i rather have it in the disk than waiting for the download to finish. The real problem is the business models they have adopted, not where the DLC is located. If you don't like it don't buy it, it's the only way, unfortunately it is never going to happen.

And yeah CAPCOM is worse than EA to me, they literally have nothing i want to buy from them, and i still remember some capcom guy from RE5 calling the fans morons because they didn't liked the way some stuff in the game was made.