• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Card Not Detected?

Overgrow89

I'm running on an Emachines with an pci-e hd3850

I had it working before but had a hard drive fail and had to reinstall
windows xp pro.

For some reason now the computer is not detecting my card, but at the
same time I have my monitor plugged into the card and everything is working
fine other then the fact I cannot play 3D games. When I go into properties>settings
for display it says Default Monitor where it used to have my video card.

I was thinking I may have had to switch it back to Pci-E in my BIOS but it was still
on PCI-E and I've tried a couple different drivers (new ati drivers, old versions of my cards driver and omega drivers)

I can't figure out why my computer is not detecting the video card. Any ideas?

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
what happens when you try to play games?.... does the card show up in Device Manager? does it have a yellow ? next to it.

when you try to install the drivers what happens? does it give an error or does it compleat the install?

Last edited:

Overgrow89

Nothing in the device manager, ATI CCC does not detect the card.

When I tried starting up RTCW:ET it said something about open_gl not working.

Whenever I install the drivers it installs them all the way and asks me to restart
and when it restarts it still says "Default Monitor" under display.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
try removing the card and give it a good blow... then stick it back in and see if that fixs it.... somthing simmiler happend to me with an AGP card. doing that fixed it.

temp02

Still in the device manager, does it show up any device under (inside) "Display Adapters"?

System Name addiction
Processor i7 920 @ 4.0 Ghz 1.19v
Motherboard EVGA X58 SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory 3 x 2 GB 1600 mhz OCZ Ram
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 280 supeclocked
Storage WD Black 750 GB
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar D2X
Power Supply Corsair TX850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate

Overgrow89

and I've tried a couple different drivers. I don't think it's the set up files.

temp02

Try this, run one of the ATi drivers setup, the newest one available (10.7 I think) and let it finish the extraction process. Afterwards, the ATi setup will begin (welcome screen after the extraction), cancel it and quit the setup.
Now go to the device manager and open the properties window of that device, and on the "Driver" tab click on "Update Driver...", select "No, not this time", then "Install from a specific location (Advanced)", then tick "Include this location in the search" and browse to
Code:
C:\ATI\Support\<setups_name>\Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF\
then click next, let the windows search, and if it does not start installing the driver or you aren't presented with a window asking which of the drivers should you install (select HD 3850) some other issue must be messing with your system, maybe northbridge/southbridge drivers?

Last edited:

Overgrow89

K tried that, it started installing the driver but an error popped up saying "The operation has been aborted because of a thread exit or an application request."

temp02

K tried that, it started installing the driver but an error popped up saying "The operation has been aborted because of a thread exit or an application request."

During the windows "search & install" process?
May be to early, but that sounds like a corrupted OS to me, probably your windows disc is bad (the one you performed the installation with), but in the worst case scenario either one of your ram modules is kaput ("broken") or your HDD has damaged sectors.

Try to CDCheck your windows cd to see if it's still in good condition (no redundancy erros).