1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Case Cutting

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by Snake05, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Snake05

Snake05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this posted in general hardware as well, but I was wandering if anyone knew what would be the best cutting tool to use to cut a small hole out of the back metal sheeting of my case. am upgrading my psu from my stock Dell :ohwell: to a new Thermaltake 480w psu. The back of the case is rather thin metal. Dremel??:confused:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    tht would be good but you have a high chance of scruing up try making a template so u will not scrue it up just use wood or something like that

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Ramine New Member

Thanks Received:
    use a jigsaw with the finest teeth possible, that way its very clean cut, i did mine like that...

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    I round hole? I woulds suggest hole saw for a drill, you can get them in many sizes.

-Dan

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    if you are going for a circle hole, get a holesaw. no way you can get this precision with any other diy tool

alternatives to look into are nibbler (hand-version, great precision and helps your muscles :) use file/dremel afterwards to clean up the edges), jigsaw with metal blade (metal blade = fine teeth) and dremel

if you are working with a tool that can slip and scratch the surface (very easy with dremel), put some tape over the areas you are not going to work on

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. bb7_rider New Member

Thanks Received:
    the tape also to some extent stops the blade slipping, its not just to stop scratches (its pretty useless against a cutting wheel doing MINIMUM 10k RPM anyway ;) ) i just use a dremmel, my holes are dodgy as but they work, im not all about asthetics :) and most of the holes i cut are hidden anyway e.g under the very edge of the mobo to run the sata cables behind the tray to the hdds where i have another hole hidden beside the rack etc

10 Year Member at TPU