• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Case LEDs

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
No they werent. White LEDs weren't even invented until the late 90's, and when they first came out they were outrageously expensive. I remember even in the early 2000s they were still $4-5 apiece. Red, green, and yellow were pennies apiece by comparison. Whether the case is clear or colored is irrelevant. LEDs output different colors depending on the junction material. Colored/frosted-clear cases are used for more diffused light, while clear projects a "beam" out the front.

Well each to their own. I know what i saw back in school and when i took apart facias off old IBMs from the late 80s, and HPs, CompaQs and some other unknown brand beige PC cases in the 90s

That depends on the LED and the marker or filter. White LEDs are actually a blue or UV junction with a phosphor coating that emits white (just like a fluorescent bulb). If you try it with a red marker on a cool white LED, and the coating is thick enough, it won't be bright as you think, since the output spectrum of a cool white is mostly blue with very little red. That's the same reason you have to be careful when using LEDs in your car dashboard - many stock gauges have color filters to get multiple colors from the incandescent bulb, and if you wanted to make your dash blue, for example, your red markings will be dark/black.

I never said that it was a great way to do it. I never said that it would be identical to shop bought ones in the actual colour desired. I never said anything about putting it in car dashboards or recommended in putting it in car dashboards.

Ive seen someone use the markers to mod white LEDs when they couldnt buy blue LEDs for their Logitech Z-5500 control box. One guy used blue marker on white LEDs. the other guy used red LEDs but of course the colour is never gonna be any REAL substitute for an actual blue or red LED but thats why they call them ghetto mods.

If your that pedantic then find another shop that has the LEDs that you want.

though on a side note, you probably could use them on a car dashboard providing you coat it a few times with the marker applying another layer after letting it dry.

#GhettoMods

Well each to their own. I know what i saw back in school and when i took apart facias off old IBMs from the late 80s, and HPs, CompaQs and some other unknown brand beige PC cases in the 90s

Um. No. You didn't. There was no such thing as a white LED in the 1980s. And manufacturers were certainly not using $10/piece white LEDs with a green lens when they could use a $0.06 green LED in the 90s. "To each their own"??? This isn't an opinion, it's recorded history. You can't possibly have "seen" something back in school a decade before it was invented.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Um. No. You didn't. There was no such thing as a white LED in the 1980s. And manufacturers were certainly not using $10/piece white LEDs with a green lens when they could use a $0.06 green LED in the 90s. "To each their own"??? This isn't an opinion, it's recorded history. You can't possibly have "seen" something back in school a decade before it was invented.

What's true to you is true to you

D

Deleted member 24505

The white LED's freedom is referring to may have been blue with phosphor coating, or combined RGB which both produced white.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I hate the blue too. It's like a piercing blue saber cutting into my brain
See all this blue hate is so weird to me. I can't stand any other colour BUT Blue, the cool unimposing serenity of it. Anything else is just too bright and jarring...

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (Covered with Cooler Master MasterGel Pro)
Motherboard ASRock B450 Steel Legend, BIOS Version: 8.01 [Beta]
Cooling Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L V2 RGB, 5x Galax Vortex Wind-02 (3xFront Intake, 2x Top exhaust)
Memory Kingston FURY Beast RGB 3600 MT/s 32 GB (8 GB x4), (KF436C17BBA/8)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Dual OC
Storage Kingston NV2 1 TB
Display(s) MSI PRO M251 (HDMI), Running @104 Hz
Case Cooler Master MasterBox MB520
Audio Device(s) HP H360G USB
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE 550 80+ White
Mouse HP G200 Black
Keyboard Redragon MITRA K551-1 RGB
Software Windows 11 Home
The case i'm using now is from 2007 and actually it has the green/red LEDs.

20190419_152522.jpg
20190419_152620.jpg

The white LED's freedom is referring to may have been blue with phosphor coating, or combined RGB which both produced white.

RGB LEDs didnt exist in the 80s either because blue was another mid 90s invention. And just think about that for a second because that makes even less sense than using a phosphor white.. why would they use an RGB LED (and its associated control circuitry) to output white, then put it behind a red or green filter when it would be much cheaper and easier to just use a red or green LED?

D

Deleted member 24505

RGB LEDs didnt exist in the 80s either because blue was another mid 90s invention. And just think about that for a second because that makes even less sense than using a phosphor white.. why would they use an RGB LED (and its associated control circuitry) to output white, then put it behind a red or green filter when it would be much cheaper and easier to just use a red or green LED?

It would have been a tri colour led tuned to emit white, or are you telling me they didn't have that either. Your'e a bit of a LED know it all aren't you, did you come here to imbibe us all with your knowledge of LED technology?

Also I was NOT on about green or red, please reply to the right comment. I was referring to you pooing of Freedom's comment about white leds. I KNOW they would just use green for green or red for red.

I would love to see systems equipped with small LCDs that go beyond the 2 digit troubleshooting codes. Beeps (thpo I haven't actiually heard one since the 90s), MoBo LEDs, no more 2 digit displays can remain, but a LCD which worked at the hardware level to display error messages during the boot process, could display BIOS screens, HWiNFO, MSI AB, game options, even TV channels would rock ... mounted in 5.25 bays, side of HD cages with TG side panels, even front of case where side vents are used to provide air flow to front fans, etc

It would have been a tri colour led tuned to emit white, or are you telling me they didn't have that either. Your'e a bit of a LED know it all aren't you, did you come here to imbibe us all with your knowledge of LED technology?

Also I was NOT on about green or red, please reply to the right comment. I was referring to you pooing of Freedom's comment about white leds. I KNOW they would just use green for green or red for red.
That's exactly what I'm saying, because there were no BLUE LEDs in the 1980s or early 90s, so there OBVIOUSLY would not have been tri color RGB because a crucial part of them (the blue element) was not even invented yet.

What's true to you is true to you
I suppose next you'll claim these 1980s computers you worked on in school had USB ports right next to the white LEDS too. Once again, it is not an opinion, it is an indisputable fact. White LEDS did not exist in any form in the time frame you claim to have "seen" them.

No they werent. White LEDs weren't even invented until the late 90's
Um, bro, white LEDs were invented shortly after green ones. They were very expensive though which made them unappealing to manufacturers. I had a Panasonic portable cassette player in 1988 that had a white LED power light.
because there were no BLUE LEDs in the 1980s or early 90s
There were, they were just white LED's encased in blue plastic.

D

Deleted member 24505

That's exactly what I'm saying, because there were no BLUE LEDs in the 1980s or early 90s, so there OBVIOUSLY would not have been tri color RGB because a crucial part of them (the blue element) was not even invented yet.

You are WRONG-
In August 1989, Cree introduced the first commercially available blue LED based on the indirect bandgap semiconductor, silicon carbide (SiC).[42] SiC LEDs had very low efficiency, no more than about 0.03%, but did emit in the blue portion of the visible light spectrum.[citation needed] [43]

In the late 1980s, key breakthroughs in GaN epitaxial growth and p-type doping[44] ushered in the modern era of GaN-based optoelectronic devices. Building upon this foundation, Theodore Moustakas at Boston University patented a method for producing high-brightness blue LEDs using a new two-step process in 1991.[45]

Two years later, in 1993, high-brightness blue LEDs were demonstrated by Shuji Nakamura of Nichia Corporation using a gallium nitride growth process similar to Moustakas's.[46][47][48] Both Moustakas and Nakamura were issued separate patents, which confused the issue of who was the original inventor (partly because although Moustakas invented his first, Nakamura filed first).[citation needed] This new development revolutionized LED lighting, making high-power blue light sources practical, leading to the development of technologies like Blu-ray, as well as allowing the bright high-resolution screens of modern tablets and phones

Notice, commercially available.
source

Not the know it all you think you are it seems

There were, they were just white LED's encased in blue plastic.

Right. Because the blue LEDs that were invented before white LEDs were made from white LEDs. And Brawndo has what plants crave.

You are WRONG-
In August 1989, Cree introduced the first commercially available blue LED based on the indirect bandgap semiconductor, silicon carbide (SiC).[42] SiC LEDs had very low efficiency, no more than about 0.03%, but did emit in the blue portion of the visible light spectrum.[citation needed] [43]

In the late 1980s, key breakthroughs in GaN epitaxial growth and p-type doping[44] ushered in the modern era of GaN-based optoelectronic devices. Building upon this foundation, Theodore Moustakas at Boston University patented a method for producing high-brightness blue LEDs using a new two-step process in 1991.[45]

Two years later, in 1993, high-brightness blue LEDs were demonstrated by Shuji Nakamura of Nichia Corporation using a gallium nitride growth process similar to Moustakas's.[46][47][48] Both Moustakas and Nakamura were issued separate patents, which confused the issue of who was the original inventor (partly because although Moustakas invented his first, Nakamura filed first).[citation needed] This new development revolutionized LED lighting, making high-power blue light sources practical, leading to the development of technologies like Blu-ray, as well as allowing the bright high-resolution screens of modern tablets and phones

Notice, commercially available.
source

Not the know it all you think you are it seems
So remind me again, did the 80s come before or after 1993?

D

Deleted member 24505

Right. Because the blue LEDs that were invented before white LEDs were made from white LEDs. And Brawndo has what plants crave.

You said no BLUE LEDs in the 1980s or early 90s, so shut it and admit you are wrong.

Remind me again, is 1989 in the 80's??

Last edited by a moderator:
You said no BLUE LEDs in the 1980s or early 90s, so shut it and admit you are wrong.
Wow, so the "first" one, which was basically a proof of concept more than anything, since they were expensive and uselessly dim, existed for a whole 4 months of the 80s. Plenty of time for them to be adopted into mainstream use by large computer corporations as indicators during the entire decade. Blue LEDS as we know them were not demonstrated until 1993, let alone marketed. And then of course they were prohibitively expensive to use in anything but precision scientific instruments.
Sorry bro, Wikipedia isn't always right. White came first a solid 5 years before blue. I know because I had electronics with them.

No. It didnt. they were invented in 1997 and based off blue. Even today there is no junction material that produces white on its own. They are all phosphor which doesnt work without blue or UV. Cool white LEDs that can "dim to soft" today are two separate elements that are controlled based on voltage to produce the desired color.
https://www.laserfocusworld.com/art...d-comprises-blue-led-and-inexpensive-dye.html

D

Deleted member 24505

Wow, so the "first" one, which was basically a proof of concept more than anything, since they were expensive and uselessly dim, existed for a whole 4 months of the 80s. Plenty of time for them to be adopted into mainstream use by large computer corporations as indicators during the entire decade. Blue LEDS as we know them were not demonstrated until 1993, let alone marketed. And then of course they were prohibitively expensive to use in anything but precision scientific instruments.

No. It didnt. they were invented in 1997 and based off blue. Even today there is no junction material that produces white on its own. They are all phosphor which doesnt work without blue or UV. Cool white LEDs that can "dim to soft" today are two separate elements that are controlled based on voltage to produce the desired color.
https://www.laserfocusworld.com/art...d-comprises-blue-led-and-inexpensive-dye.html

it said commercially available, read it, that is not proof of concept at all. Also 1993 is early 90's. Why does it bother you so much about LEDs? Do you just have to be right?

Ok, you believe what you want. I was there and I owned the electronics(plural) that contained them.
Because Brawndo's got electrolytes.

it said commercially available, read it, that is not proof of concept at all. Also 1993 is early 90's. Why does it bother you so much about LEDs? Do you just have to be right?
Because flat out lies, such as those being told by freedomeclipse and lexluthermeister annoy the crap out of me.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
This argument is pointless, and you all need to stop. The history of the LED is not the topic of this thread. One and only warning.