• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[casemod] CM Test bench V2

Hey guys,

This is an ongoing mod which is quite far done. I will post more build log photos a bit later and as the modding continues i will post new photos. There are still things i haven't done but entered the case in the cooler master mod competition and this is how far i got before the deadline.

This is the case

This was what i was aiming for

As far as i have gotten :)

Sponsored by:

Hope you like it! next on the list is modding the ram to look like the rendering :)

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Looks nice! What rads are you using? It would be nice if you could show us some pics of the inside...

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
wow ..
nice nice, i never think that test bench would get like this

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
That is awesome! Nice work :toast:

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
you should put it on Case Mod Gallery. umm btw maybe it would be more interesting if you put some work log here

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Audio Device(s) On-board
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Love the lighting:toast:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Audio Device(s) On-board
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Ace - Please do not double post. Use the "Edit" or the "Multi-Quote" buttons please:)

NHKS

WOW! spellbound.. had u enough time for the competition and resources, most likely that yours would have won it! the final product looks better than the rendering in terms of execution & design(oh, those case lights look great!!)..
i see that you have used braided-sleeve tubing for the cooling circuit- that's quite unique and suits the hi-tech look, besides the black theme.. glad that u stayed away from transparent tubing for a change.. can't wait to see inside pics and how the ram turns out..
a question looking at the pics, did u plan to have the expansion cards' support brace illuminated as well? i can see the provision for leds there too.. also, u plan to do something more with the 24-pin & gpu cables routing? just asking if u plan to stiffen them or something of that sort.. i am no mod expert, so don't think I am giving some feedback, just curious..

btw, great effort with your mod, Ace! u should be proud of it..

WOW! spellbound.. had u enough time for the competition and resources, most likely that yours would have won it! the final product looks better than the rendering in terms of execution & design(oh, those case lights look great!!)..
i see that you have used braided-sleeve tubing for the cooling circuit- that's quite unique and suits the hi-tech look, besides the black theme.. glad that u stayed away from transparent tubing for a change.. can't wait to see inside pics and how the ram turns out..
a question looking at the pics, did u plan to have the expansion cards' support brace illuminated as well? i can see the provision for leds there too.. also, u plan to do something more with the 24-pin & gpu cables routing? just asking if u plan to stiffen them or something of that sort.. i am no mod expert, so don't think I am giving some feedback, just curious..

btw, great effort with your mod, Ace! u should be proud of it..

Thank you for your kind words! Regarding the gpu bracket it was a heat of the moment design, a few days before the deadline i finished my diy cnc router which i then used to do the gpu bracket. The only way to get the aluminum and acrylic together and be strong enough was to use bolts. Now the bolts block the lights too much to get it looking nice, that's why its not illuminated. I will fix this at some stage. Yeah, same with the cables, was thinking of something more "solid" than cables, just didn't have time to do it before the competition.

All feedback are appreciated! And you were spot on what needs to be fixed.

If u like it you can head over to coolermasters facebook page and vote for me :)

Hey guys,

The build log as promised. I edited a bit away but all the pictures and so on are there! This is still an ongoing mod even if it looks kinda done
Background:
I entered the Cooler master mod competition this year and thought.
I was thinking for ages for a case to pick and by accident I found the test bench by Cooler Master at a local computer store. I knew instantly that this is the case I wanted to modify. It's different enough to other cases and I didn't find anyone else in the competition using the same case.
After countless hrs designing i think i came up with something worthwhile doing.
This was the design I stuck with for now unless i change my mind for a 100th time

Also started fabricating the radiator boxes today.
Started with some kinda straight pieces of 1mm sheet metal. Decided on 1mm thickness to add some stability and still easy to fabricate.

The machine

Bent a small test piece to figure out the radius and the measurement, also to get all the angles right.

Made four pieces so i can mess up two, easier to make extra now than going back to make two new ones :)

Quick test fit to see how its gonna look
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u447/Ace_Finland/Cooler%20master%20mod%20competition%202012/DSC_0565.jpg[/v]
[IMG]http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u447/Ace_Finland/Cooler%20master%20mod%20competition%202012/DSC_0567.jpg

Also some parts arrived :)

Back after a lot of hrs in the garage and at the workshop at work. Not much of an update when it's full of fail but thought i would share anyways.
Plan A
Cut a template of the size i wanted

Mark the piece to be cut
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u447/Ace_Finland/Cooler%20master%20mod%20competition%202012/2_zps37e3dd85.jpg[/v]
Working with my best friend :) (angle grinder)
[IMG]http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u447/Ace_Finland/Cooler%20master%20mod%20competition%202012/4_zps0f736c06.jpg
After a lot of filing.

After this i realized cutting the next 3 slots in the metal will make it very thin and will flex and bend a lot. And the plan is to powder coat it after i'm done with it, so i can't use any filler. so over to...
Plan B
Decided to get all the cuts before bending. Don't mind the tolerances, just forgot to adjust the digits

Make a "table" for the mill at work.

Used double sided sticky tape between the table and the metal sheets to prevent the pieces to vibrate during milling.

Fastened the sheets with screws in as many places as possible, i did not want the sheet to move during milling.

Let the milling begin. Still a Manual mill so need to be very focused :)

More fasteners used as it progressed.
http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u447/Ace_Finland/Cooler%20master%20mod%20competition%202012/9_zpsafcdce09.jpg[/v]
Almost done, still need to clean all the edges and as you can see in the red circle i made a bit of a mess. I had just finished that slot and turned the mill off without turning off the feed. So when i turned the mill on it went like a bat out of.... :( Words cannot describe the feeling when that happened. I had spent 6 hrs milling just to do a simple mistake. Anyways, gonna weld it back and see if i can file it down. Wouldn't be a problem if i could use filler.
[IMG]http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u447/Ace_Finland/Cooler%20master%20mod%20competition%202012/Photo2012-10-14190142_zpsff12290d.jpg
welded and grinded down the mess i did the other day :)
Got the sheets bent today but now i don't know if i should go with the circular mesh or the hexx mesh. The hexx mesh is made out of 1mm aluminum and the circular mesh is made out of steel sheet which would make the whole construction a lot more stable.

tried some powder coating last night
This is satin black. Two problems with this color, fingerprints sticks instantly, and it looks kinda cheap

This is the surface finish of the original cooler master case. I'm really liking this surface finish so i'm gonna order some textured powder coating black and give it a try.

Gonna order this color and give it a go!

Got a lot done the last week so thought i would post a few pictures
First of all I'll show you something great when working with metal sheets. I have not seen many use these and i don't know why. They are quite handy when you don't want to weld and will help a lot in hard to reach places, when you don't have to use a regular nut. It's rivet nuts :)
Works like a normal rivet.

Modified a normal rivet gun buy cutting the head of a M4 bolt and jamming it in the rivet gun. Added a few washers to prevent the rivet from entering the gun

All done

In the end I just got a rivet gun made for the rivet nuts which made it a lot easier.

Made some acrylic for the case. Had to countersink the acrylic in order to get it flush against the case

Mounted. It's clear acrylic but it has a green protective sheet on it.

Spot welded some ends on the radiator holders and mounted it all together

Removed the green protective plastic. Still needs to be sanded to get a matte finish so the red leds will spread the light better.

Drilled the front acrylic plate. Still need to remove a lot of acrylic in the middle

Drilled holes in the aluminum after i knew the acrylic would fit.

Test fit

During the test fit i marked around the edges with a knife so i could get a rough template.

As you can see its a bit rough :) Will still do some more welding on the case and when that is all done i will grind down the front and back plate and sand it smooth. But you can see its starting to look as the rendering :)

Almost forgot to update, have another project that I've been working on for the last 5 months. Can anyone guess what it is? Just got the "table back from a workshop that leveled it for me. So now i just need to get it assembled and it should be good to go if I just can figure out how to use it :D

Back on topic
Started sanding the edges, tried a lot of different machines and files before getting the result i wanted. Still need to straighten up the edges but wanted to mill the fan controllers first in case i make a mistake and need to redo it.

Milled away a bit of material to get the psu as close as possible to the back of the case to make as much room as possible inside the case

Started disassembling the new lamptron's

Very easy to take apart

In the preview yday you saw the milling so no need to post more pics of that, the controller fitted!

Had to power it up :)

After looking for leds for the acrylic and realizing buying "computer leds" are way too expensive i started looking for other options. Found this through a company in Finland. I don't know the price but it should be less than 50€ for 5m of leds. These are 15,6W/m so should be plenty of lumens :)

The Leds can be cut every three leds and cables can be soldered on straight on the copper tabs, 8mm wide and 2,5mm high. The best thing with them is if you have a 2cm led strip or a 5m led strip all you need is 12V.

Also have milled the front acrylic, milled a 3mm gap to place the leds in, a nice tight fit.

From the top

Full 12V, probably need to run them on 8V, otherwise with 2m's of leds it will look like a nuclear power plant :D

As low as it goes.

Still need to sand the acrylic edges to make it more smooth and spread the light even better, but it's a good start.
Got some great news guys. After some discussions with EK Waterblocks they decided to sponsor me in this build!
Since I started water cooling I have always liked the design of the water blocks that EK provide. So it is truly an honor to work with such a great company!

The parts :)

Unpacked

This i won over at cooledpc.com but thought i would share it anyways

Pump top to add some performance
'
EK-DDC X-TOP CSQ - Acetal, such a buty

Waterblock for my Asus Gene-V, EK-MOSFET ASUS M5G

EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240)

A bunch of fittings, some i have bought and some sponsored

EK-RES X3 150

EK-FC5X0 GTX GW Backplate - Black

Special thanks to Gregor over at EK for helping me out!
Been quite busy the last few days having time off work in order to be able to finish the mod for the competition.
Started with some motherboard raisers, was gonna machine them in aluminum but then i found this nice red Ø20mm plastic bar. Not the right red but they won't be seen after its installed and it's so easy to machine in plastic.
First i machined them to the right diameter

Drill and tap

All done!

Test fitted the pumps and the rads to check for clearance issues

All sanded and ready to get glass blasted

Glass blasted and ready to be powdercoated

It looks a bit uneven but its smudges from me fingering it, i didn't see it but it shows up in the photos, will clean it off before the final shots!

Radiator box, or whatever you would call it

Rear side of the same part

Almost assembled

And some final shots of the case itself, I really like the way it looks and glass blasting the acrylic made a really matte finish which hopefully will hide the single leds and give an even light throughout the acrylic.

Still need to cut slots in some of the acrylic to be able to install all the leds.
Also need to make something to hold the GPU's in place, i know what i want now so I just have to fabricate it.
Finally decided to go with circular mesh, the hex mesh i got was only 1mm thick aluminum and was not stable enough. This is the color i went with, gun metal gray. Will make a slight contrast to the black powder coating.

For quite a while I've been thinking about what to do for GPU supports, I've seen a few versions out there but nothing that would fit my mod. The biggest problem has been production time of something more complicated that i would have to mill or grind from aluminum. So when I finished another project of mine (homebuilt CNC router) I decided to put it into its first good use (haven't had time to use it since all my time has been spent on the case).
This is what i wanted but wouldn't have had time to complete without the router. Test mount straight after milling all three parts.

Glass blasted and painted. Also countersunk one side and threaded M5 threads into the rear of the aluminum.

Close up of the support

Now you are probably wondering how i will physically attach the gpu's to the support. Haven't had time to see if it works but there is no reason this shouldn't. You mount it from the rear of the support so the tab from the GPU go between the support and the "extra bit" Then you just turn the screws to pinch the tab from the GPU to the support.

Also tried some engraving, my gf wasn't happy with the font, placement, size and basically everything, but I like it, It's about 0.5mm deep

Also covers a extra hole in the case, although this won't be visible when the motherboard is installed but still a nice touch :) Still needs a bit of filing to make it fit perfect.

Had to assemble the case in order to figure out where to drill holes in the mesh, so figured i would try to take a photo of the leds going at the same time, took around a 100photos before my gf snapped these two. It still doesn't show off the real red but it is awesome in my eyes :D This is as low as it goes, if i crank it up all the way u won't see the case. Gonna check with some ppl if there is a solution to get this right for the final shots.

Getting close to the end of the Coolermaster competition! Have been very busy the last weekend, spent around 30hrs on the computer on saturday and sunday and had to take today off work just to get it up and running. Taking it to get photographed tomorrow so i can get some proper shots of it for the competition.
Anyways, gonna start with the parts. A lot of the parts are from my previous build but there are also new parts
Coolermaster test bench
Intel 3570K
Asus Maximus GENE-V
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1600MHz
128gb OCZ Vertez 2 SSD
Corsair AX850 PSU
2 X Gainward GTX570
2 x Lamptron FC5 V2
4 x Schyte Gentle Typhoon
A lot of leds

Watercooling:
2 x EK-FC5X0 GTX GW Backplate - Black
2 x EK-RES X3 150
2 x EK-DDC X-TOP CSQ - Acetal
2 x EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240)
1 x EK-MOSFET ASUS M5G - Acetal + Nickel
1 x EK Supremacy cpu block
1 x EK Dual parallell sli block
2 x laing ddc pumps
A lot of EK fittings
Mayhem's Aurora tharsis red

Sleeved the led wires, the cat loves it

Installed in the acrylic

The lamptrons installed

Mounted the rads and the fans to an xspc rad mount, quite a tight fit, a little bit over 1mm to spare :)

Plumbing done on loop 1, was a bit more difficult than i first expected. Ignore the blue cables, resleeved them after

Had to check what it looked like with the Hyper212 that i've used during the build. Had to remove all the water cooling so i could get all the sizes right

So many cables, had to cut every cable and shorten them, they would not fit in the case as is.

Tried to get hold of some genuine CoolerMaster sticker but it was a lot harder than i expected. So contacted Coolermaster and got approved to make my own stickers. Was gonna go with normal stickers but due to the case is slightly textured it wouldn't look good so went with these polyurethane based "3D" stickers. Got a few different color combinations made so i could pick the one i liked the most. Big thanks to Mr Glasberg over at staffans.fi for making these priority 1 and making them in more or less a day

Assembled and more or less ready to go. Still have a lot to do but this will have to do for the competition.
Leak test ongoing

Did a compilation photo of the mod for the competition so thought i would post it here aswell.

Sponsored by:

Working on the ram today, will post pictures later :) Thanks for the ones who voted for me in the Coolermaster mod competition! Got a 3rd prize!

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Damn! this looks nice! i reallllllly love the lighting! BTW did u use 3ds max to design?

But i think this should be posted in the right forum, ask one of the modserateors to do it for you

Damn! this looks nice! i reallllllly love the lighting! BTW did u use 3ds max to design?

But i think this should be posted in the right forum, ask one of the modserateors to do it for you

Thanks! Does it matter which moderator? I used Solidworks to design it :)

Thanks for all who voted for me in the Cooler Master mod competition! Got myself a 3rd prize :)

After a very busy Christmas I've made a prototype of the ram, did not go well at all but at least i've gotten started.

This is the design. It's basically the same design as the Dominator platinum ram but with a sandwich construction consisting of two aluminum sides with acrylic in the middle.

The aluminum part

One of the aluminum parts pressed together with the acrylic. Got decent tolerances on the parts so i just pressed them together with a vice, no glue needed :)

Made a red light bar so the ram would match the case better. Still want a white acrylic top with it only being red when its on :)

Installed without a lightbar

It looks the same with a lightbar. Think there is not enough light for the light to reflect all the way to the middle of the ram. I will experiment a bit more but if i can't figure it out i will leave it with just a red lightbar

With the red lightbar and the original part it looks like this. It's not too bad but a bit of the white light shines through due to the fact that the leds are further apart than the width of the lightbar. The red bar is the same width as the original one. Also gonna polish the entry surface of the acrylig to let as much light through as possible

Sponsored by:

Thanks to all that has been following me this year and a happy new year to you all! Next post will be next year :)

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Audio Device(s) On-board
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Keep up the great work:toast:

Currently somewhere around NSW, Australia
System Name hmmm... / lappy (ASUS Scar III)
Processor Intel Core i7-8086K / Intel Core i7-9750H
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Formula / ASUS G531GW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s w/ 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax and 1 x Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Fans / Stock
Memory 4x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600mhz / 2x16gb Kingston Hyper X Impact DDR4 2666mhz C15
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 / Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
Storage 2 x Samsung 960 EVO Plus 1tb NVME/ 1tb Intel SSDPEKNW010T8 NVME + 2tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34P / ASUS 15.6" Screen
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 White-TG + Noctua Chromax Fans / ASUS Scar III Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Logitech Z623 / Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W + PROLINK PRO903WS / ASUS ADP-230GB B Power Brick
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB / Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB / ASUS Scar III Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 / Windows 10 Professional x64
Subbed! Looking very good! :toast:

Thanks guys!

Hey guys!
Back now, been very busy with work and a lot of other stuff.

Have been trying my best to get the ram working but after corsairs "release" on monday i decided to shelf my idea.

I tried making grooves and so on in the acrylic and i got the light to spread decently as far as the new corsair kits are covered. Maybe they had the same problem :D Anyways, I will move on to some other mods i want to try out instead. Updates to come as soon as i make some progress :)

Oh, also got the Rig Of The Year over at guru 3D!

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Audio Device(s) On-board
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Congrats on the Rig of the Year:toast:

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro