• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cat 5 cable upgrades?

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I'd like to take this a step further and recommend you learn to make your own Ethernet cables. It's easy, just learn the correct order to line up the cables in, slide on your connector, and crimp. Bare cable is cheap at Home Depot, they might have the RJ45's and even a crimper too. The initial expense might run you $100 or so for everything, but you'll have fresh, brand new cables. And making them yourself means you customize them to any length. Need to connect something 60ft away? Make your own 60ft cable, instead of buying a 75ft cable and having a ton of extra length. Or maybe you only need 1ft to connect a modem to a router rather than a 6ft cable. It's also much easier to run a bare cable though the wall/floor/etc and crimp it on the other end then it is to run it with that bulky connector already attached.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
If you will be doing a lot of cable installing and replacing (especially after your friends, family and neighbors learn - if they haven't already - you are the goto computer expert ;)), I definitely recommend making your own too.

I've been making my own for years now and it really is the way to go. Not just because it ultimately is cheaper, but also because you end up with an easier to keep clean, more aesthetically-pleasing, rat's nest of better quality cables. Ethernet cables (and their connectors) are flimsy, fragile, and cheap but critical network devices. Factory made cables are rarely tested before they leave the factory. It is not uncommon for them to be poorly made and substandard.

And as hat notes, it is very nice to make a cable the exact length (plus a little extra) you need rather than buying one several feet longer.

I do have a few bits of advice.

1. "Invest" in a quality crimper. Cheep tools yield poor results. I wasted $50 on two cheap crimpers I had to throw away before I finally got some common sense and bought a quality pair. The one I have now I've had for 15 plus years and used on 100s of cables - with never a bad crimp.​
2. Get an Ethernet cable tester. These are inexpensive but invaluable at preventing and lowing high blood pressure, reducing strokes, and stopping, or at least slowing down receding hairlines and hair loss.​
3. Crimping cables is actually a skill. And like all skills, take practice to perfect. So be ready to sacrifice a few connectors on a few practice cables before you make the cables you will ultimately use. TIP: Good lighting is a must. The older the eyes, the brighter the light needs to be.​
4. Nice to have: Ethernet cable color-coded strain relief boots. As I said above, Ethernet cables and connectors are flimsy and fragile. So using strain relief boots to make them more robust and survivable is smart - if not a must. But having color-coded boots is really nice for easy identification (especially on the back of routers and switches) without having to deal with labels (and the tedious/PITA task of relabeling). The tricky part is just getting into the habit of slipping the boot on the cable (and in the right direction :rolleyes:) BEFORE crimping the connector on. You can always go with colored Ethernet cable, but basic gray in bulk is much cheaper.​

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
If you will be doing a lot of cable installing and replacing (especially after your friends, family and neighbors learn - if they haven't already - you are the goto computer expert ;)), I definitely recommend making your own too.

I've been making my own for years now and it really is the way to go. Not just because it ultimately is cheaper, but also because you end up with an easier to keep clean, more aesthetically-pleasing, rat's nest of better quality cables. Ethernet cables (and their connectors) are flimsy, fragile, and cheap but critical network devices. Factory made cables are rarely tested before they leave the factory. It is not uncommon for them to be poorly made and substandard.

And as hat notes, it is very nice to make a cable the exact length (plus a little extra) you need rather than buying one several feet longer.

I do have a few bits of advice.

1. "Invest" in a quality crimper. Cheep tools yield poor results. I wasted $50 on two cheap crimpers I had to throw away before I finally got some common sense and bought a quality pair. The one I have now I've had for 15 plus years and used on 100s of cables - with never a bad crimp.​
2. Get an Ethernet cable tester. These are inexpensive but invaluable at preventing and lowing high blood pressure, reducing strokes, and stopping, or at least slowing down receding hairlines and hair loss.​
3. Crimping cables is actually a skill. And like all skills, take practice to perfect. So be ready to sacrifice a few connectors on a few practice cables before you make the cables you will ultimately use. TIP: Good lighting is a must. The older the eyes, the brighter the light needs to be.​
4. Nice to have: Ethernet cable color-coded strain relief boots. As I said above, Ethernet cables and connectors are flimsy and fragile. So using strain relief boots to make them more robust and survivable is smart - if not a must. But having color-coded boots is really nice for easy identification (especially on the back of routers and switches) without having to deal with labels (and the tedious/PITA task of relabeling). The tricky part is just getting into the habit of slipping the boot on the cable (and in the right direction :rolleyes:) BEFORE crimping the connector on. You can always go with colored Ethernet cable, but basic gray in bulk is much cheaper.​

Ive used 5 pair burial drop for ethernet lol

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Just remember the golden rule of networking:

Your speeds can only be as fast as the slowest component in your set-up....

In other words, you could buy & use the latest & greatest, most expensive ethernet cables in the world (currently Cat8e IIRC), but if your internet connection and/or router/modem only provides 500mbps download speeds, then thats the MAX you will ever get out of that particular set-up....nothin can EVER change that fact :D

Even if you decide to pay for a faster internet connection, if every one of the other components in the chain are not capable of supporting those faster speeds, it wont matter one bit... and neither would fancy/new/upgraded cables.....

The same goes for in home wireless.... a top-notch AX6/WiFi-6 router wont make your phones/tablets etc. any faster unless they support that standard...