• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cat cables question

youresaulgoodman

Hi everyone,

I have CAT cables all throughout my house, but they don't work directly from the wall. The technician told me that I have to buy a hub and connect it to the router.

If someone could please explain for a non-tech person, in simple terms, what do I need to buy, where to buy it, and how do I need to connect stuff? (This all has me very confused).

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
First, I would not get a "hub". A hub will work but a better solution is an Ethernet "switch". See Hub vs. Switch.

If you already have a router, it likely already has a 4-port Ethernet switch built in. You can just connect to it. If your current router does not have one (perhaps you just have a modem and no router), then you can buy a simple 4-port switch. You connect this to your current router (or modem) then you can connect 4 computers to the other ports. Note that says 5-port but one must go to the router.
If you need more than 4, there are 8-port, 16-port and even bigger switches. Or you can get another 4-port and connect it to one of the ports on the first switch.

Just make sure it is a Gigabit switch. Gigabit, or 1Gbps or 1000Mbps means 1 gigabits per second, for better networking performance for your network. Cheaper models will only be 100Mbps and could degrade your network performance.

If you need more information, you need to tell us what you currently use for your network - as in the specific router and/or modem you have now. Also, if you have or need wireless networking support.

youresaulgoodman

First, I would not get a "hub". A hub will work but a better solution is an Ethernet "switch". See Hub vs. Switch.

If you already have a router, it likely already has a 4-port Ethernet switch built in. You can just connect to it. If your current router does not have one (perhaps you just have a modem and no router), then you can buy a simple 4-port switch. You connect this to your current router (or modem) then you can connect 4 computers to the other ports. Note that says 5-port but one must go to the router.
If you need more than 4, there are 8-port, 16-port and even bigger switches. Or you can get another 4-port and connect it to one of the ports on the first switch.

Just make sure it is a Gigabit switch. Gigabit, or 1Gbps or 1000Mbps means 1 gigabits per second, for better networking performance for your network. Cheaper models will only be 100Mbps and could degrade your network performance.

If you need more information, you need to tell us what you currently use for your network - as in the specific router and/or modem you have now. Also, if you have or need wireless networking support.
It's a new house and we do indeed have ethernet ports, but the technician said:

"at your hub location (picture attached) I can place a network switch that will connect to your service provider modem and any cat6 wires connected at that source will relay Ethernet".

We haven't called the ISP because I want to be prepared before they come. I just don't understand what the technician means. I'm not tech-savvy at all and this is kind of overwhelming.

Image of the hub location: https://i.postimg.cc/8zJV5pjR/06-F73-D01-0-C80-448-A-98-D5-2-E4955863985.jpg

Thank you very much.

Processor 5800x3D
Motherboard x570 Extreme 4
Cooling Deepcool AK620 Digital
Memory 2x16 Crucial 3200 Mhz
Video Card(s) 4070 SUPER FE
Storage 500 GB WD SN750 / 870 Evo 500 GB / Kingston 480 GB SSD
Display(s) Alienware 34 aw3418dw / ROG Swift pg27q
Case Corsair 3000D
Power Supply Seasonic V3 1000w
Mouse Model O
Keyboard GMMK Pro w/ SP Magic Girls
Software WIndows 10 Pro
Thats good you have all the cables done already. All you need is a network switch. You will take where the cables end plug them into switch and switch to modem.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
It's a new house and we do indeed have ethernet ports, but the technician said:
Okay. My reply remains the same. A switch would be better than hub.

I will also say this - whoever pulled all those cables did a lousy and incomplete job. If me, I would be quite upset they didn't at least label or number each cable so you can tell which cable goes to which port in each room.

I also think they should have terminated (attached connectors) to each cable end too. Now, if planning on doing this yourself, you will need to get a cable test set like one of these so you can trace the cables and make sure they work once the connectors are attached.

You don't have to terminate them all, only those you will be using. And the same goes with the size of the switch. If you only need 6 ports you don't need to buy a 24-port switch. But it might be nice to get one just to get it all done at once.

And if you are planning on doing this yourself, "invest" in a pair of quality crimpers. Cheap (as in low cost) crimpers give a cheap (as in poor quality) crimp and that can lead to headaches, elevated blood-pressure, and rapidly receding hairlines. ;)

youresaulgoodman

Okay. My reply remains the same. A switch would be better than hub.

I will also say this - whoever pulled all those cables did a lousy and incomplete job. If me, I would be quite upset they didn't at least label or number each cable so you can tell which cable goes to which port in each room.

I also think they should have terminated (attached connectors) to each cable end too. Now, if planning on doing this yourself, you will need to get a cable test set like one of these so you can trace the cables and make sure they work once the connectors are attached.

You don't have to terminate them all, only those you will be using. And the same goes with the size of the switch. If you only need 6 ports you don't need to buy a 24-port switch. But it might be nice to get one just to get it all done at once.

And if you are planning on doing this yourself, "invest" in a pair of quality crimpers. Cheap (as in low cost) crimpers give a cheap (as in poor quality) crimp and that can lead to headaches, elevated blood-pressure, and rapidly receding hairlines. ;)
Thank you very much, Bill! Your explanation helped clear up things a lot and made this make a lot more sense.

Thank you once again for taking the time to explain this. :)