• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[WTB] Cb Radio (not Pc)

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair hero viii (wifi) x570
Cooling AlphaCool Aurora 420mm
Memory Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 4133MHz 32GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 3070
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Thermaltake Core X71
Power Supply Corsair RM850 80 plus gold
Software Windows 10
Just wondering if anyones into cb radio or amature radio this was one of my hobbies basically before the internet took over.

I am in the uk but just wondering what radios are on offer overseas???

or if anyones even into radio??

T

twilyth

What are you interested in doing?

I used to have a CB in my car to keep up with the chatter from the truckers regarding speed traps and such. But you've got a lot of seriously dumb fucks on CB so it's rough to listen unless you really need to. Not everybody. I don't mean to generalize. I'm just saying the odds of running across someone who just can't shut the fuck up is pretty high.

Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
System Name Hells Core.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard Asus Crosshair hero viii (wifi) x570
Cooling AlphaCool Aurora 420mm
Memory Patriot Viper Gaming RGB Series DDR4 DRAM 4133MHz 32GB Kit
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming X Trio 3070
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Thermaltake Core X71
Power Supply Corsair RM850 80 plus gold
Software Windows 10
mainly interested in the Dx rigs mate for long distance stuff, just wanting to get back into it ive pretty much seen all the rigs the uk has to offer.

alot of the idiots use fm and midband over here mainly but the ssb channels are normally good and quiet professional

System Name death machine
Processor intel 6600 quad core cooled by scythe mutgen 2
Motherboard dfi lanparty UT P35-T2R
Cooling air
Memory crucial ballistic tracer 4 gb
Video Card(s) nvida 260 gtx
Storage segate baracuta 500 GB , western digital blue 1TB
Display(s) asus 23.6 vh242h
Case lian-li pc-a70 full tower
Power Supply 650 watt Antec Earth Watts
Software windows 7 and lots of other titles
i have to use them for work to call back to base and see if there is any other jobs

KH0UJ

System Name Air Cooled Gaming / Shop PC
Processor AMD Athlon II X2 Regor 250
Motherboard Asus M4A78 plus
Cooling Air Cooled (Upward Airflow)
Memory Corsair Dominator PC-8500 2GB 1066 MHZ
Video Card(s) Palit GTS 250 E-Green
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160 GB
Display(s) Samsung EX2020 20 inch LED
Case Wooden Case Painted and Modified
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 8 Channel (Onboard)
Power Supply Orion HP 585D X2 Dual Modified PSU (585W+585W)
Software Windows XP SP3 / Windows 7 32 bit
mainly interested in the Dx rigs mate for long distance stuff, just wanting to get back into it ive pretty much seen all the rigs the uk has to offer.

alot of the idiots use fm and midband over here mainly but the ssb channels are normally good and quiet professional

im still into DX until now mate:laugh: computer via ecolink, my signal can reach around the world actually :roll: no blind spots and antenna less:laugh: joke :toast:

T

twilyth

I've never heard of CB dx'ing, but it is between am and fm, so I guess it would work. Single side band rigs have never been very popular except with serious CB'ers. I can see how that would keep the riff-raff out though.

If you want to make contact, you'll probably want a serious amp and here at least, those are illegal. Of course that never stopped anyone. I just don't see the FCC going on a fox hunt for a CB broadcast. I don't think they even go after pirate radio unless they get a boat load of complaints.

There used to be a lot of vendors for radio gear, but I haven't looked at that stuff in years.

Ramsey electronics has some FM transceiver kits that are for export only - which would be perfect for you.

There's also a great magazine called Nuts and Volts. It's mainly electronics these days though, but if you are a hobbyist, it's worth checking out. Lots of great projects.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heatware
6 0 0
Hi ya, Nitro-Max...Dxing, something I have not done in a few years. My Siltronix 1011-D is still hooked up in the radio shack, sold all my amps and stuff. The girl still talks, about a year or so ago had a little conversation with someone in England, just messing with her. Every once in a while I'll warm her tubes up and listen.

Mostly slide up a little and get on side band above silly band, she will do about 300 pep on a 8950 tube, got a couple of tubes spare for her, as they are expensive now. I got off when the overseas dx dropped off in the 80s and a lot of noise started coming in from our brothers in the south. Could not even talk to europe, what with all the Hola, CQ...CQ...CQ coming in.

Was just thinking the other day, I need to go out there and straighten, cleanup and re-tune the ground plane( wind sorta leaned it over a few degrees ).

Da*m, that really brings back memories.:)

Your best bet is EBay or something, a lot of people sell stuff not thinking CB/Ham rigs are worth anything now-a-days and you can get some good deals for nothing.:)

Last edited: