1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

cd r not reading

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Breaz, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Breaz

Thanks Received:
    My mother in law burned a cd r of a bunch of pictures from her camera about three months ago before deleting the camera card she made sure the pics where on the cd. a couple of weeks ago one of her best friends passed away (health complication). So for the viewing she wanted to get some pics from the cd but.....

every time we put in the cd the tray opens up again and it say's please insert a cd....
    so I brought it home and tried in my laptop nothing doesn't even open or say anything.
    In my pc it also opens back up and says please insert a cd.

The cd is new never been used and I can see where the data has been written onto the cd it's about 1/3 full.

I asked if she closed the cd and she had.

I'm at a lose what the heck??? any suggestions other then keeping multiple backups I have already talked to her about multiple backs.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Breaz

Thanks Received:
    anyone

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    This is the problem with writable optical media, it degrades, sometimes very quickly if not kept in the right conditions.

You can try CDRoller, I've had success with recovering files from unreadable CD/DVDs in the past. You can use the free trial to see if it can read the files off the CD, and if so you can pay the $40 to unlock the software and get your files.

jgunning and Breaz say thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. Breaz

Thanks Received:

Thank you very much it works all the pics are there now it's up to her if she wants to pay

5. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    arent there free tools for that as well? you just want a more lower level read, or if there's physical damage, a more... error checking, retrying way to read the disc (i remember one time i had a scratched disc, most apps/windows give up, i used alcohol to create an image of it, it took an hour but eventually it had the files)