• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Central computer + terminals in office instead of individual PCs, questions/suggestions?

Hi all,

At work we're considering getting rid of individual machines with individual OSs, etc for security and funcionality.

Now, today we tried something very interesting which was the following:

- One central machine (let's call it Server) with Ubuntu Mate installed.
- Then, the terminal (i.e. one of the worker's machines) would connect to its desktop through local SSH tunneling and then running mate-session (equivalent of X11 tunneling basically).

This works nicely, problem is, the moment you have a couple of machines connecting to their desktop, there appears to be a serious network bottleneck. This is a shame because we're loving the concept of user account management, software management and ease of backup.

The problem I see is that network bottleneck is, I guess, to be expected, as the server is streaming, essentially, the whole user desktop and interaction.

In an ideal world what would happen is that the terminal would connect to the server and the server would not stream the desktop itself but rather allow the terminal access to the necesary files and let the processing and computing be done by the terminal. This in my mind would allow a lot more terminals before network bottleneck but I do not know if anything like this exists.

Any ideas? Are we going about this the wrong way?

We would need 12 terminals to be able to connect at the same time and work as if they were their own desktops. The equivalent of something like citrix but on a LAN level. Hardware isn't an issue, we can invest as needed, it's more about knowing what we need. We would also like to stick to Linux.

Thanks in advance!

Bo$$

Lab Extraordinaire
System Name Desktop | Server
Processor Intel i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ | AMD 5350 @ 2500MHZ
Motherboard Asus P7Z77-V Pro | Asus AM1I-A
Cooling Corsair H60v2 | Stock Air
Memory Crucial Ballistix 2x8GB CL8 1600MHZ | Corsair Vengence 2x4GB CL9 1600MHZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | PNY GTX 750Ti
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 4TB WD Red | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) Samsung S27D390H + Asus VE276Q | Headless
Case Fractal Design R5 | CM Elite 110
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1 w/Otone Stilo 5.1 and Creative Fatal1ty headset
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 850 G2| Corsair CX430M
Mouse Razer Imperator 2012
Keyboard Corsair K90
Software Windows 7 SP1 X64 | Ubuntu 16.04LTS
I've seen something similar to this at one site i worked at.

You will need graphics acceleration as everything grinds to a halt when people start using youtube or browsing the internet.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Off the top of my head I can think of uptime availability and maintenance. Someone will need to be able to diagnose and fix problems 24/7, or it will lead to loss of productivity (and lots of frustration). Same for maintenance - at any given time there should be a few people who knows how to operate the setup (in case of emergencies/disasters). IMHO a better solution may be "in between", i.e. storing user accounts within the server, but downloaded to whichever machine that is active.

Hi Everyone,

For anyone searching and finding this (i.e. posterity), here's what we wanted to achieve:

- One central local server for the office
- All desktops would login with their accounts and their /home folders would be stored in the server as opposed to locally on the desktop.

Here's what we ended up doing:

- We used Zentyal.
- Users login to their accounts through LDAP (the linux equivalent of Active Directory), from their desktops (it looks just like logging in to a local account, but in the background it actually checks this credentials on the server, not locally).
- Once they log in, their pc mounts their server home folder automatically. This way all processing is done locally but their settings and files are stored in the server, so there's some "lag" when logging in, but once logged in, it's not much different to a conventional desktop.

Thanks again everyone for their input

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
If we're talking about something like a small business , this really isn't worth it probably. There are services that provide more reliable , higher performance and hassle free cloud virtualization.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
VNC based seems to do good. Now for straight up VMs vmware horizon/view seems to be nice.

System Name Addison Clark
Processor Ryzen 9 7950x3D delid
Motherboard Asus X670E Hero
Cooling Custom Bykski loop CPU, GPU, 2x 360 rads, and 1x 280 rad with Arctic P12 and P14 ARGB fans
Memory G.Skill DDR5-6000 64GB CL30
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 4090 Aorus Master
Storage Kingston Fury 2TB and 4TB NVME
Display(s) Samsung 57"
Case Lian Li O11 mini
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000w SFX-L
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB SE
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platnium
Software Win 11 Pro
Off the top of my head I can think of uptime availability and maintenance. Someone will need to be able to diagnose and fix problems 24/7, or it will lead to loss of productivity (and lots of frustration). Same for maintenance - at any given time there should be a few people who knows how to operate the setup (in case of emergencies/disasters). IMHO a better solution may be "in between", i.e. storing user accounts within the server, but downloaded to whichever machine that is active.

Floating profiles are amazing!!! This is what I would recommend.

How was this network set up? In reality a thin client/terminal/RDP isn't going to eat up a lot of bandwidth, a few Mbps at most per client. A gigabit network with at least two aggregated GbE or a single 10GbE connection to the server should easily be able to handle 12 terminals. It's not streaming the entire desktop per se, it's only parsing changes - very similar to how online gaming works. The framework is loaded by the client computer, and it registers changes to display the desktop based on commands from the server.

This is an RDP session to my server from my laptop. I had a video playing on the server, and it maxed around 3Mbps for a few seconds at a time, but mostly around 1.5Mbps.

Last edited: