• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CES 2019: Alienware Saves the PC Monitor World With a 55" OLED Gaming Monitor

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
So, that news title may be slightly too flashy for the actual product, but bear with me here: OLED is such an improvement over current mainstream display technologies that its transition to the PC monitor space is one of the most sought-after unicorns in this market. Alienware, via a partnership with LG (that's almost obvious), will be making this particular unicorn come to reality. The Alienware 55 OLED gaming monitor will feature 4K resolution @ 120 Hz, Variable Refresh Rate support via HDMI 2.1 (FreeSync? G-Sync? - all's still up in the air), DisplayPort 1.4, and 98 percent coverage of the DCI-P3 RGB spectrum with a candy of HDR support thrown in the mix.

If those specs sound familiar, they are; Alienware is naturally using an LG OLED panel for this product, which the specs, all in the same ballpark of LG's announced products, show. Even the diagonal, so incredibly big by PC monitor standards (unless you count NVIDIA's BFGD displays), is the lowest an LG OLED will go. So, the lack of a TV tuner seems to be one of the signs that points towards this television's classification as a gaming monitor. Whether there are more specific, under the hood improvements for a PC-centric monitor of if this is just a repurposed LG OLED television with Alienware's branding and a gaudy light strip on the back of the monitor isn't a question we're equipped to answer at the moment. However, it has several modes to support different game genres that Alienware says will be optimized for those types of games.

Linus Tech Tips actually recorded the Alienware monitor in-action at 4K resolution, so you can check that video (with YouTube compression, sadly) below.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Until they can bring it down to a size that can actually sit on a DESK, what's the point?
I can already feel my neck hurting just thinking how much I'd have to move my head to actually see it all at arm's length.

p.s. Alienware, how did you solve the icing problem ?... excuse me, the BURN-IN problem.

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Yeah, an OLED monitor. What's it going to do? Shift my interface around like TVs do with their standby messages?

I refuse to pay so much money for a display in 2019 without hdmi 2.1. These things should be future proof. DisplayPort 1.4 doesnt have enough bandwidth for 4k 120hz HDR with 4:4:4 chroma.

SL2

Until they can bring it down to a size that can actually sit on a DESK, what's the point?
Bring down the size? There are plenty to choose from if you want smaller.

Can PC monitors only be placed on desks? ;) This is clearly not made for desks as it has 80 ppi, lower than a 24" 1080 monitor (92 ppi).

Raevenlord

News Editor
System Name The Ryzening
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI X570 MAG TOMAHAWK
Cooling Lian Li Galahad 360mm AIO
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3733 (4x 8 GB)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ti
Storage Boot: Transcend MTE220S 2TB, Kintson A2000 1TB, Seagate Firewolf Pro 14 TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG270UP (1440p 144 Hz IPS)
Case Lian Li O11DX Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) iFi Audio Zen DAC
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ 750 W
Mouse Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Keyboard Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L
Software Windows 10 x64
I refuse to pay so much money for a display in 2019 without hdmi 2.1. These things should be future proof. DisplayPort 1.4 doesnt have enough bandwidth for 4k 120hz HDR with 4:4:4 chroma.

It does have HDMI 2.1.

OLED is a majorly flawed technology. Nobody with a brain wants it.
Linus said:
But, of course, any OLED is eventually going to burn-in. It's just due to the nature of the Organic Light Emitting Diode. It degrades.

System Name Gentoo64 /w Cold Coffee
Processor 9900K 5.2GHz @1.312v
Motherboard MXI APEX
Cooling Raystorm Pro + 1260mm Super Nova
Memory 2x16GB TridentZ 4000-14-14-28-2T @1.6v
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 LiquidX Barrow 3015MHz @1.1v
Storage 660P 1TB, 860 QVO 2TB
Display(s) LG C1 + Predator XB1 QHD
Case Open Benchtable V2
Audio Device(s) SB X-Fi
Power Supply MSI A1000G
Mouse G502
Keyboard G815
Software Gentoo/Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Always only ever very fast
55in OLED 2019 monitor

Moooeehh

mLED needs to HTFU

System Name #projectEVO v4
Processor AMD R9 3950X
Motherboard ASUS X570 Crosshair Impact
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO CPU, Alphacool Monsta 240, Alphacool UT60 360, Aquacomputer Aqauero 6X
Memory GSkills Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 CL16 @3600MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 970 500GB NVME M.2, Seagate 4TB 7200rpm HDD (x2)
Display(s) Samsung G9 Odyssey 49" Ultrawide @240hz | ASUS MG279Q 1440P @144hz | HTC VIVE
Case CaseLabs Mercury S5
Audio Device(s) Marantz PM7000N | Schitt Stack UBER | Beyerdynamic DT1990 | Sennheiser HD6XX | HiFi Man HE4XX
Power Supply EVGA 1600 Watt T2
Mouse HyperX Haste, Logi GroX Superlight, Logi GPro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Drop ALT , HHKB Pro 2, RealForce Topre 104UB, Topre Realforce RGB
Software Windows 10 PRO
I can already feel my neck hurting just thinking how much I'd have to move my head to actually see it all at arm's length.

p.s. Alienware, how did you solve the icing problem ?... excuse me, the BURN-IN problem.

Then people will complain the size of the monitor is too small for 4K....

In France it has a purpose : there's a tax for having a TV in your home. 140€/year.
Practically all solutions, like TV / Projector, have a tuner in it, making it "a TV-like object". And your Internet provider are denouncing people that have Internet access to the government, not an inch of moral, like back in the 40's if you know what I mean. You can add to that another fishy thing : when you buy a TV, you're filed on a national database, telling that you have a TV, and that you must pay.
We have many useful taxes in France whatever people will say, allowing free healthcare of good quality, school for everybody and not bad ones only, help from the country for commuters (like 80% off train tickets), help for kids, help for handicap, etc.
But this one is stupid, and mainly an old tax, maintained and earned by the same people.

To avoid this tax which is quite ridiculous since some of the major show runners earn much more money than in private channels (like 1M€/year, when minimum salary is around 1050€ per month), you need to get rid of any "non-PC" display, and players (DVD, BluRay,etc. even VHS).
My current TV is 42 inches, cost me 300€ 8 years ago, and I'm now paying 140€ / year even if I don't watch TV (I use it for my consoles). Your TV can even be broken, you'll pay.
It drives me crazy that every 2 years, I'm paying again my TV ... for nothing.

This "can be", with big quotes, the reason of such a screen.

Processor i7 8700K
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + NF-A12x25 PWM + 4xNF-A14 PWM
Memory 16 GB Adata XPG Dazzle DDR4 3000 MHz CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus, Samsung 850 Evo
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144Hz 1080p
Case Fractal Design Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Steelseries Arctis 3
Power Supply Superflower Leadex II Gold 650W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 7
Software Windows 11 Pro
Naw. No way.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
i wonder what happens after i do several 12 hour sessions with witcher 3 and get burn in - lol goodbye 3 grand unless the warranty is good, but i doubt it, prob 1-2 month wait times on repair.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
In France it has a purpose : there's a tax for having a TV in your home. 140€/year.
Practically all solutions, like TV / Projector, have a tuner in it, making it "a TV-like object". And your Internet provider are denouncing people that have Internet access to the government, not an inch of moral, like back in the 40's if you know what I mean. You can add to that another fishy thing : when you buy a TV, you're filed on a national database, telling that you have a TV, and that you must pay.
We have many useful taxes in France whatever people will say, allowing free healthcare of good quality, school for everybody and not bad ones only, help from the country for commuters (like 80% off train tickets), help for kids, help for handicap, etc.
But this one is stupid, and mainly an old tax, maintained and earned by the same people.

To avoid this tax which is quite ridiculous since some of the major show runners earn much more money than in private channels (like 1M€/year, when minimum salary is around 1050€ per month), you need to get rid of any "non-PC" display, and players (DVD, BluRay,etc. even VHS).
My current TV is 42 inches, cost me 300€ 8 years ago, and I'm now paying 140€ / year even if I don't watch TV (I use it for my consoles). Your TV can even be broken, you'll pay.

Same crap in the UK with BBC TV license, well except if i remember right cost a lot more than your paying.

Love to see more larger monitors, although will not see me buying a LG Monitor or TV.

System Name Games/internet/usage
Processor I7 5820k 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Cooling custom water loop for cpu and gpu
Memory 16GiB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666 MHz
Video Card(s) Radeon Rx 6800 XT
Storage Samsung XP941 500 GB + 1 TB SSD
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Audio Device(s) Shiit Modi 2 Uber -> Matrix m-stage -> HD650
Power Supply beQuiet dark power pro 1200W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
That looks interesting, but for computer use LG current OLED panels are to susceptible to burn in
which is the exact reason I did not get a 65" one a few months ago.

It’s the same in Norway, but here its 3038,56 kr, or 359,08 USD or 311,60 euro. Only advantage here is that if you can prove that the tuner in the equipment has been disabled you will no longer have to pay the tax. Also, the Norwegian law clearly states that the tax is for equipment capable of receiving a broadcast signal, since streaming is a one to one connection this is no broadcast and therefore not susceptible to the tax.

Witch ends in an interesting situation where the national broadcaster is technically free, you can go to their web page and stream the three channels they have, complete with foreign programs, free of commercials, or go to their archive spanning several decades back, and watch it all on a computer, for free. The ting that pays for it is all the people that has a device that is capable of receiving the broadcast signal.

All I see is noobs here. HDR? It's an OLED. I've read it will have both dp 1.4 and HDMI 2.1

I prefer 40"+ but. 55" is good. Just sit away untill comfortable.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
That looks interesting, but for computer use LG current OLED panels are to susceptible to burn in
which is the exact reason I did not get a 65" one a few months ago.

It’s the same in Norway, but here its 3038,56 kr, or 359,08 USD or 311,60 euro. Only advantage here is that if you can prove that the tuner in the equipment has been disabled you will no longer have to pay the tax. Also, the Norwegian law clearly states that the tax is for equipment capable of receiving a broadcast signal, since streaming is a one to one connection this is no broadcast and therefore not susceptible to the tax. It’s even on my PS4 and Chromecast there’s really no way to escape it...
06967FC9-5660-4ACD-9FBE-63C08BF9845A.jpeg

Witch ends in an interesting situation where the national broadcaster is technically free, you can go to their web page and stream the three channels they have, complete with foreign programs, free of commercials, or go to their archive spanning several decades back, and watch it all on a computer, for free. The ting that pays for it is all the people that has a device that is capable of receiving the broadcast signal.
Yeah I’m trying to find a way out of it but really too many hoops to jump through. I get my TV free from my landlord (Altibox) but even that technically counts tho they have no real way of proving it. I’m not gonna take my brand new 4K TV in to get it “modified” it probably cost me as much as the TV....I hate this license every year and I’ve deleted all thing s NRK from my channel list because there’s nothing on there I would ever watch.
06967FC9-5660-4ACD-9FBE-63C08BF9845A.jpeg

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Unfortunately nobody mass-produces OLED panels in monitor sizes. LG TV tech is the best bet to get one at all :(
I am pretty sure it will have HDMI 2.1, 4K UHD 120Hz means it is based on current year's LG TVs which in turn means it is going to get the same inputs - unless Alienware are complete morons which they are not.
OLED is a majorly flawed technology. Nobody with a brain wants it.
All technologies have their respective flaws. OLED picture quality - and HDR capability if we are going with current buzzwords - is simply unrivaled.
Curious about the input lag on this one
I have an old-old LG OLED TV. With the usual TV PC input things input lag is in 20-30ms range. This is good enough. The new gen is supposed to have some HDMI 2.1 specific stuff to help with input lag, or with configuring it properly if I read that correctly.
mLED needs to HTFU
Samsung made a huge step forward this year and the result is 75" 4k Micro-LED TV. This is state of the art pixel density for the technology and it is far from production yet. Micro-LED shows huge promise for large TVs but it is not likely to scale down to monitors. And probably not smaller TVs like 55".

I have a first-gen LG OLED TV - new ones are supposed to be better. Temporary burn-in does happen with parts of screen having large-ish static images with saturated colors - my TV box has bright-colored squares in UI and I have left these open for 3-4 hours a couple times. This leaves an ugly visible artefact on the screen for a while. That being said, TV does its anti-burn-in stuff regularly and so far it has cleared up the artefacts enough to not be noticeable. I cannot see any in normal usage - TV, movies, games. I rarely look at screen with entire screen being one colour, maybe I should run monitor test screens just to see if I actually do have some artefacts. I have had gaming sessions of several hours and have not seen any burn-in artefacts from it - even UI/HUD is not static enough and/or not saturated enough.

What prevents my from using TV as a more frequent screen is primarily lack of VRR support. And 60Hz seems too low when switching over from a 165Hz gaming monitor :D

Space Lynx

Astronaut
@londiste I saw a Samsung QLED at Costco the other day next to an OLED. I actually favor the QLED myself, and I saw 0 drawbacks on it. that sucker was gorgeous. when playstation 5 launches, i plan to buy the latest high end samsung QLED model and PS5 on same day, hook them up both same day, etc. i have no need for a tv until then though so just being patient on it ^^

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Samsung should be spanked for naming those QLED. I mean, they may technically be correct but they intentionally try to mislead customers into thinking QLED is somehow similar to OLED. It is not.
What LCD has over OLED is brightness. This gets paid for in contrast. IPS has 1:1000 contrast, VAs have 1:3000/5000. The only reasonable solution to extend that contrast is FALD which inevitably has halo/blooming issues.

OLED is a conditional choice. If you use the screen in a well-lit room or are worries about retention/burn-in, get LCD (LED, QLED, nano-LED whichever).
When looking at the screen in dark or dim room, OLED dynamic range is very noticeable. Black blacks effectively mean infinite contrast/range.

Last edited:
Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
Yeah I’m trying to find a way out of it but really too many hoops to jump through. I get my TV free from my landlord (Altibox) but even that technically counts tho they have no real way of proving it. I’m not gonna take my brand new 4K TV in to get it “modified” it probably cost me as much as the TV....I hate this license every year and I’ve deleted all thing s NRK from my channel list because there’s nothing on there I would ever watch.View attachment 114376

well, its usualy 1000 kr, (120 usd/ 100 eur) depending on where you live hese guys does it.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
well, its usualy 1000 kr, (120 usd/ 100 eur) depending on where you live hese guys does it.
Thanks man I will seriously look into this. I’m on a fixed income(trygg) and not high one either so this bill is never in my budget. Already planning to split this years bill over 2 payments NRK can suck it!

Motherboard ASUS X99-A2
Display(s) Dell 3008WFP
Case Caselabs Magnum M8
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Win 10 Pro
If they do not operate in your area you can search for "plombere TV" to get some options.
Just checked for myself it was 1290 kr (outside Oslo).

Does any other TPU members form Europe have a idea what the technicalities for the broadcaster taxes are?
Because if they are like here in Norway (bound to the antenna input) there should be a noticeable market for TVs with only HDMI inputs like the Alienware “monitor” here.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
If they do not operate in your area you can search for "plombere TV" to get some options.
Just checked for myself it was 1290 kr (outside Oslo).

Does any other TPU members form Europe have a idea what the technicalities for the broadcaster taxes are?
Because if they are like here in Norway (bound to the antenna input) there should be a noticeable market for TVs with only HDMI inputs like the Alienware “monitor” here.
Yeah I’m near Stavanger so I may have to search around a bit

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Samsung should be spanked for naming those QLED. I mean, they may technically be correct but they intentionally try to mislead customers into thinking QLED is somehow similar to OLED. It is not.
What LCD has over OLED is brightness. This gets paid for in contrast. IPS has 1:1000 contrast, VAs have 1:3000/5000. The only reasonable solution to extend that contrast is FALD which inevitably has halo/blooming issues.

OLED is a conditional choice. If you use the screen in a well-lit room or are worries about retention/burn-in, get LCD (LED, QLED, nano-LED whichever).
When looking at the screen in dark or dim room, OLED dynamic range is very noticeable. Black blacks effectively mean infinite contrast/range.
QLED manages to suggest both OLED and quantum dot at the same time. While having nothing to do with either one.