• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Chances of getting it replaced???

Dizman7

Processor AMD Opteron 165 Stock 1.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus A8N-32 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9500
Memory 4x 1GB OCZ Platinum DDR400
Video Card(s) Asus nVidia 9800 GTX+
Storage WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA and Maxtor 250GB Storage SATA
Display(s) Gateway FPD2185W 21" Widescreen High-Definition LCD Flat-Panel Display
Case AeroCool AeroEngine2
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
Power Supply Zalman 750W
Software Windows 7 64-bit
So I got a Zalman VF700-Cu LED the other day to overclock my Sapphire X800Pro a bit. I took of the fan/heatsink fine but then I was removing these cheap aluminium memory heatsinks I had put on my card a while back (stupid impulse buy that didn't help any) and I got the the last one which was on there good so I took my time with it and slowly got it off. Then I turned it around and the memory chip was still stuck too the heatsinkstill! And not attach to the video card like it should be!!!

I almost cried, I don't know everything bout PC hardware but I'm guessing it ain't going back on. So my first question is who here knows bout warranties on VGA cards? I submitted a ticket to Sapphire and said I was cleaning it and part of the cloth fibers caught on it and popped it off. My second question is do you think there is any chance of me getting it replaced or should I just go buy a new one? Come the 17th I would have had this card for a year! GRRR I was so close too

Any help or opinions greatly appreciated, Thanks

Last edited:

noneed4me2

System Name TheloneFrakker..;)
Processor Q6600 GO FSB333@3.04ghz
Motherboard Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wifi
Cooling Stock for now
Memory 2x1gb/Gskill DDR3 1333@9,9,9,24 1t
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD2900XT
Storage Seagate Barrucuda 7200.11 500gb SATAII 32mb cache
Display(s) Sceptre xw20g Naga 20.1"
Case Thermaltake Bach VX w/Side window
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Hiper 580w Modular
Software XP Pro/Vista Home Premium 64bit
Benchmark Scores None yet, coming soon...
find a way to glue or solder it without being obvious and pray to whatever gods help honor user error RMAs, maybe they won't catch it, but the fact that you already alerted them to the issue probably means a no go.

Overclocking voids warranty. Destroying your card by force (pulling of heatsinks) voids warranty. Modding cards voids warranty.

Unless you have some great excuse to explain how the chip fell off without it being your fault you shouldn't expect a card back.

Dizman7

Cooling Zalman CNPS9500
Display(s) Gateway FPD2185W 21" Widescreen High-Definition LCD Flat-Panel Display
Power Supply Zalman 750W
Well first I called ATI's Tech line as that's what the Sapphire site suggested to do. So after waiting bout 20 mins I finally got some one. I told him that I removed the card to clean it which he replied "Good idea", then explain that while dusting it off the cloth I was using, part of it some how caught on one of the memory modules and popped it off. Next thing he said was "Well the warranty is through Sapphire not us, you'll have to contact them. Hmmm I've never heard of that before.". I asked him what the warranty was for Sapphire, he didn't know for sure but "I imagine it's like ATI's which is 3 years"

So I submited a ticket to Sapphire, because they have no tech help line, but I believe the site said they were located in Austria. This was a couple of days ago now, just wish I would get some kind of reply one way or another. I've had to put my roommates old 64MB GF4 MX420 and I just recieved my X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS (got it new for $245 that's with free shippinng :) ) yesterday, dying to test it out on BF2 and FEAR

Dizman7

Cooling Zalman CNPS9500
Power Supply Zalman 750W
Couldn't wait

Well after reading the replies on here and talking with a couple of friends I just went and bought an ATI X850 Pro AGP. Yea I still have AGP and this was the closest to my old card I could find without spending a ton, I didn't want to spend anything.

The other one I was looking at was the ATI All-In-Wonder X800XT as it already has 16pipelines enables, but I really don't need and wouldn't use the tuner and inputs of the AIW part of the card and I would have had to order and wait 4 or 5 days. I figured I get the newer chip and I can unlock the extra pipelines. Feel free to point if I choose the wrong card as I don't know much bout the differences between the graphics processors I just wanted something as good or better than my Sapphire X800 Pro for less than $300.

Bought it on my way to work this morning as according to the website they were "Sold Out!" and of the 5 Best Buy's in this area only one had some (happened to be the furthest away too). So after work I'll try it out a bit stock then install the Zalman heatsinks and fan and flash it with the 16pipeline bios. That'll hopefully get a bit more performance out of it :D

Dizman7

Cooling Zalman CNPS9500
Power Supply Zalman 750W
Update: X850Pro's DVI would not work on my system after trying two! Finally heard back from Sapphire via email, they told me the first year of the warranty is covered by whom I bought it from, which was newegg.com! I didn't believe them at first as it said nothing about it on my invoice but I called and sure enough it was! :D

They don't carry the AGP X800Pro so they are refunding me the price I payed for it a year ago, which is good cause I'm going to upgrade anyway now to PCIe and probably dual core

So if you didn't know already, Newegg.com ROCKS! :rockout: