• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Change BIOS serial number on Asus Prime Motherboard

slyman007

Hi, all!

I just built a computer using an Asus Prime H470M-Plus motherboard, and it's working great. However, some proprietary software I need to load queries the BIOS for the system's serial number, and uses that information to identify the machine in a database in the corporate environment. Right now, a "wmic bios get serialnumber" command returns "System Serial Number" instead of any unique usable number. For my purposes, it doesn't really matter what value is returned there (the Motherboard SN# would be fine, or a string I create, whatever), but it has to be something unique and something other than that generic phrase. I do not see a way to add or change that value in the BIOS setup.

Does anyone know the easiest way to accomplish this task? Barring something obvious I'm overlooking, do I need to download an asus bios .cap file, edit it, and then reflash the bios in order to update that? If this is the case, can anyone give me any pointers on doing that. I've used hex editors to do that sort of thing before, but it's been a long time, so I am way behind the times.

Any help would be appreciated.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Have you asked the developer's support for help with this issue? That's the first thing I would do.

slyman007

Thanks for responding. Yes. Ticket is open via e-mail. Been a few days of one e-mail a day back and forth on the issue so far. I am skeptical I'll get a solution. Thought I'd ask around.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
You might be able to do this with AMI tools like AMIBCP. But you'd need to reflash the bios, and they aren't free tools besides.

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
Depending on the software, it stores that information either in the software install location or in windows Registry or both places, which you can then edit. Editing the BIOS rom is extremely risky and highly likely to create a brick out of your PC.

slyman007

Thank you so much, R-T-B. Your post sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole, but your info led me to a utility that was able to update it easily with no re-flashing necessary. I really appreciate your help!

Rmg412

Thank you so much, R-T-B. Your post sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole, but your info led me to a utility that was able to update it easily with no re-flashing necessary. I really appreciate your help!
hey slyman can you point me in the right direction to getting this sorted please, I'm stuck. Thanks!!

slyman007

Hi, Rmg412:

Here's the forum I used to get the job done. Step 4 and step 5 are what you want:

So lame that I had to go to a forum about hacking a video game to find such a simple answer.

After the fact, I discovered there's actually an Asus official tool that does the same thing, but it's not nearly as user friendly. They didn't have one for my exact motherboard, but I found it on another model motherboard, and it works for most intel motherboards in their lineup. I had to choose "other" operating system to find it on their downloads page. So dumb.

If you have trouble with either of these, let me know.

winchesterbro

slyman007 how did you get the uuid and serial number to stick after I restart my pc and look up the uuid and serial numbers it is still the same.

slyman007

Hi, Winchesterbro. I wish I had a great answer for you. I had no trouble with saving the information. When I entered DMIedit, and changed a value, all I had to do was save it by clicking the little floppy disk icon. It saved, and has stayed the same ever since.

I do remember reading something about sometimes needing to keep the serial number the same number of digits as the original. I don't believe I actually did that on mine, but I might have. If you can, try changing it, but keeping the number of digits in the number constant.

I hope this helps!

winchesterbro

Alright thanks where did you download the DMIedit tool I have an asus motherboard aswell (z490). I can't seem to find the tool. I tried the guide which was posted on se7ensins but that did not work for me. Maybe if I tried your version it will stick for me. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks and stay safe.

slyman007

I don't remember now. I had to jump through some hoops to get it. I'll just attach it to this thread. I hope that helps.

Attachments

• BIOS modifier.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,830

Atlaskin

I don't remember now. I had to jump through some hoops to get it. I'll just attach it to this thread. I hope that helps.

Hey Mate! I was searching on how to change the serial number of my laptop, and found this, i installed the BIOS modifier, and did what the Read me files says. But the serial number wasn't changed.. Any idea how to make it work please ?

Thanks in advance!

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Hey Mate! I was searching on how to change the serial number of my laptop, and found this, i installed the BIOS modifier, and did what the Read me files says. But the serial number wasn't changed.. Any idea how to make it work please ?

Thanks in advance!
Thread is dead, check the date of last post.