• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cheap raid 0 card

System Name The Shroomiest One!
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock x570 Taichi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 2x16gb T-Create Expert 3600C14
Video Card(s) NVidia RTX 3090 Founder Edition
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2tb, 2 x Team Group MP34 4tb
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B
Case Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply EVGA 1000w Supernova
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Im in need of a cheapo raid 0 card. Something that can handle 2 x 300gb v-raptors in raid 0. Ive tried a sil3132 card and the onboard gigaraid that comes with my board but of them max out at 180MB-190MB/s read and 150 write. its kinda driving me nuts. the sil3132 is a pcie x1 card and I guess the onboard gigaraid is too.

So my delima is, I need to be able to run all my non raid drives in ahci and still be able to run my v-raptors in raid and take full advantage of them.

I tried running my ssd on my gigaraid(jmicron 60*) and it also maxes out the chip at 180-190MB/s read and 150 write..

The card also has to be PCI Express, I only have 1 pci slot and its blocked.

Any good suggestions for me?

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have SATA 6gb/s on the Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5, why not use it. If you are maxing out that SSD at a lower rate, then something else is not right.

It was my understanding, if you turn on Raid, then AHCI and NCQ are enabled and if the drive is on the controller, then it is using them; whether it is part of the Raid array or not.:confused:

Mine are Raided on my onboard controller and the two others are on the same controller just not part of the array and they all are using AHCI and NCQ...:ohwell:

I gotta be mis-understanding what you are getting at. Or, are you talking about a different set-up?

Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B
Case Meshify 2 XL
Mouse Glorious Model D
VR HMD Valve Index
Well its mainly for trim support is what im worried about. Its not supported with the AMD ahci raid driver. I cant find any for sure answer for a manual trim that wont do excesive writing to the ssd. Right now its all on the sb850 and im getting the full speeds out of everything.

I was just running the raptors in windows software raid but I was getting wierd pauses that stopped after i went to the on board raid controller.

Im not sure exactly how important trim is but from what I read its a must to keep the ssd running at full potential.

Heres my speeds on the current sb850 raid driver

Attachments

• atto bench.jpg
    atto bench.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 562

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
TRIM just deletes the deleted data when the drive is not in use. When ever something is deleted from the SSD it isn't actually deleted, just the reference to it is deleted. This is how normal hard drives work also. However, with an SSD, before anything can be written over the "deleted" data, it has to actually be deleted, while with a normal hard drive it can just be directly written over. All TRIM does is go through and actually delete the data when the drive isn't in use, this helps ensure that write speeds don't get worse over time.

Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B
Case Meshify 2 XL
Mouse Glorious Model D
VR HMD Valve Index
thought thats what it was, so its needed then. The only way I now how to manual trim is to run as clean which writes 1's to all the empty space and erases it. But I would prefer real trim.

It might not be too nessary for me though. The way I have my system set up is OS only on ssd, Steam and other games on raid and a 1tb black for storage. I have my temporary internet files folder on the raid drive, pagefile is set to only 512mb and set to not erase on shut down along with a few other tweaks. So really not a whole lot is being written to te drive.

Ive got an intel 40gb drive in my aspire revo 1600 and I love thier ssd tool.

Last edited: