• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CHERRY MX Keys Power CORSAIR Voyager a1600 AMD Advantage Edition

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
CHERRY MX, the market leader and expert for mechanical switches in keyboards, is the first choice for keyswitch technology for CORSAIR's laptop debut: the leading manufacturer of high-performance PC components and peripherals is shipping its brand-new high-end CORSAIR a1600 AMD Advantage Edition series laptops with the MX Ultra Low Profile Tactile switches. With this, the US company relies on mechanical precision made in Germany to meet the high demands of gamers, content creators, and other power users.

The CORSAIR Voyager a1600 is equipped with cutting-edge technology. Still, it remains surprisingly thin: Despite a height of only 19.8 millimeters, the mobile PC is equipped with the top processor AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS or Ryzen 7 6800HS, and the dedicated graphics solution Radeon RX 6800M. Together with 16 gigabytes of DDR5 memory from CORSAIR's Vengeance series, it is ensured that games run smoothly at maximum graphic details, and resource-intensive applications such as graphics or video editing software can be operated responsively. To adequately cool the high-performance components, CORSAIR relies on an advanced vapor-chamber cooling system that distributes heat evenly, keeping temperatures low even in this slim format.

Responsive display and exclusive features for streamers
The 16-inch screen of the CORSAIR Voyager a1600 boasts a QHD+ resolution of 2560x1600 pixels and displays colors exceptionally intensive and contrast-rich thanks to an IPS panel. The combination of an exceedingly high refresh rate of 240 hertz, the AMD FreeSync Premium synchronization technology, and the Radeon RX 6800M processing power ensures high frame rates and smooth gameplay.

Streamers, in particular, benefit from integrated Elgato technology on the CORSAIR Voyager a1600: Above the keyboard are ten S-Key shortcut keys that can be programmed via Elgato's renowned Stream Deck software, allowing streaming control at the touch of a button. Thanks to a Full HD webcam and a 4-microphone array with ambient noise cancellation, the laptop perfectly captures the face and voice.

Equipped with award-winning CHERRY MX Ultra Low Profile Tactile
Since the CORSAIR Voyager a1600 is designed for gamers and content creators who always expect the maximum from their equipment, the company opts for the new CHERRY MX Ultra Low Profile Tactile (ULP) for its laptop keyboard. The Tactile variant features no audible click but noticeable feedback resembling the famous MX Brown. Manufactured exclusively in Germany, the switches are subject to strict internal quality control to guarantee maximum precision and reliability.

The ULP Tactile already actuates after a pre-travel of 0.8 millimeters and an actuation force of 65 centinewtons. The total travel amounts to a total of 1.8 millimeters. As a result, the ultra-flat switches offer an ergonomic overtravel of 1 millimeter and the familiar typing feel of a mechanical keyboard. The engineering effort and the fact that CHERRY MX has set a new keyboard standard with the MX Ultra Low Profile even earned the Gold category German Innovation Award 2022.

The exclusive, unrivaled Gold Crosspoint contact system inside the switches ensures the consistently reliable precision of the MX Ultra Low Profile Tactile. Thanks to an extra-thick layer of gold on the flawlessly welded contact points, actuation quality, and precision remain the same even after years of extensive use, so power users can always trust in absolutely reliable key input.

Powerful RGB lighting thanks to CORSAIR iCUE
Thanks to the construction of the MX Ultra Low Profile Tactile, the SMD LEDs can be placed directly underneath the switches. Since the polymer components of the ULP are translucent, the keys are illuminated intensely and evenly. CORSAIR uses the exceptionally bright CAPELLIX LEDs, which are powered and controlled by the in-house iCUE software. This allows predefined lighting profiles or custom effects to be intuitively programmed and elaborately displayed.

"With our particularly thin MX ULP mechanical switches, we have reached the limit of what is currently technically feasible and are setting a benchmark for the entire industry," explains Rolf Unterberger, CEO of CHERRY. "Especially state-of-the-art and powerful gaming laptops like the Voyager a1600 from Corsair gain even more importance for professional gamers, esports players or video and streaming creators thanks to this technology."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name The cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5700g
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright ARO-M14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3800mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston 1TB NV2| 2x 1TB 2.5" Hitachi 7200rpm | 2TB 2.5" Toshiba USB 3.0
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 32" + LG 24MP59G 24"
Case Chieftec CI-02B-OP
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio PCI-E (SB1040)
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
Mouse Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10 x64 PRO
Benchmark Scores Mobile: Asus Strix Advantage G713QY | Ryzen 7 5900HX | 16GB Micron 3200MHz CL21 | RX 6800M 12GB |
There's now way a machine this thin has enough thermal headroom to get any serious performance out of that 6800h / rx 6800m combo. Often these devices perform like a laptop with half the specs but you still pay for the "performance".

These kinds of laptops often get sent back to the retailer in the first 15 days after the purchase.... The "resealed" section of most online retailers in my country is full of such devices. To quote one user (translated) "....comes with an RTX 3060 but gets lower FPS then my brother's desktop RTX 3050. This is not what I payed for." This was one of the reviews for the 2021 ASUS Zephirus G14. The user then goes on to add "I've returned the G14 and bought a Lenovo Legion 5 PRO with the same video card but slower CPU, and it runs a lot faster the the Zephirus. Never buying Asus again." - not giving any thought to the fact that he's comparing a thin and light to a gaming laptop....

This is partly the user's fault, since most will go for as thin and lite a laptop as possible, and a percentage of these buyers also want performance and do little to no research - but it's also the fault of the companies that put these things on the market and then go "surprised pikachu face" when lots are returned for performing way slower then thicker but identically specced laptops with proper cooling.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
There's now way a machine this thin has enough thermal headroom to get any serious performance out of that 6800h / rx 6800m combo. Often these devices perform like a laptop with half the specs but you still pay for the "performance".
It's 2 cm thick, so no that thin. Also, it's a 16" laptop, so plenty space to spread out the components. Check out the video in the Corsair news post.
These kinds of laptops often get sent back to the retailer in the first 15 days after the purchase.... The "resealed" section of most online retailers in my country is full of such devices. To quote one user (translated) "....comes with an RTX 3060 but gets lower FPS then my brother's desktop RTX 3050. This is not what I payed for." This was one of the reviews for the 2021 ASUS Zephirus G14. The user then goes on to add "I've returned the G14 and bought a Lenovo Legion 5 PRO with the same video card but slower CPU, and it runs a lot faster the the Zephirus. Never buying Asus again." - not giving any thought to the fact that he's comparing a thin and light to a gaming laptop....
You can't compared mobile GPUs with desktop GPUs, even though you'd think the model numbers/names are comparable, they're not by a long shot.
This is partly the user's fault, since most will go for as thin and lite a laptop as possible, and a percentage of these buyers also want performance and do little to no research - but it's also the fault of the companies that put these things on the market and then go "surprised pikachu face" when lots are returned for performing way slower then thicker but identically specced laptops with proper cooling.
I simply wouldn't buy a gaming laptop, but a lot of people do so...

System Name The cube
Processor AMD Ryzen 5700g
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Thermalright ARO-M14
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3800mhz
Video Card(s) Powercolor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston 1TB NV2| 2x 1TB 2.5" Hitachi 7200rpm | 2TB 2.5" Toshiba USB 3.0
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 32" + LG 24MP59G 24"
Case Chieftec CI-02B-OP
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio PCI-E (SB1040)
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
Mouse Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed
Keyboard Razer Ornata Chroma
Software Win10 x64 PRO
Benchmark Scores Mobile: Asus Strix Advantage G713QY | Ryzen 7 5900HX | 16GB Micron 3200MHz CL21 | RX 6800M 12GB |
It's 2 cm thick, so no that thin. Also, it's a 16" laptop, so plenty space to spread out the components. Check out the video in the Corsair news post.

yeah. 2cm. I noticed. That's not thick enough to accommodate sufficient cooling for the 6900HX or the 6800m XT, witch is in fact a better binned desktop RX 6700XT. Those 2cm are the whole reason for my post.

You can't compared mobile GPUs with desktop GPUs, even though you'd think the model numbers/names are comparable, they're not by a long shot.
You can compare anything you want. The fact that both AMD and nvidia name their laptop GPUs exactly as their desktop GPUs despite them being lower spec and crippled by way of cooling or power delivery makes it critical to compare them so you know where you stand performance wise. The 3060 mobile has 3840 cores running @ 0.82 - 1.7 GHz and 14 gbps GDDR6 running over a 192 Bit bus, while the desktop RTX 3050 has 2560 cuda cores running at 1852 MHz and 14 Gbps GDDR6 running over a 128 bit memory bus. Looking at these specs the 3060m SHOULD be quite a bit faster - but if you stick it in a dinky chassis with no cooling it will throttle and perform worse then the 3050.

Thing is I use my laptop as a desktop replacement that I can carry with me on my twice weekly 110km commute, BUT I can see how someone who does a lot of work away from a desk or in the field would be put off from a 17" machine, despite it's excellent battery life.

'Advanced vapor chambers'. LOL!

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
"Scotty, we needz moar powah !"

"I am not afraid"............hummm, you will be, you W*I*L*L be, ummgg !

"gammin is as gammin does"

"May da heat be with you"

Shall I go on ??????

D

Deleted member 185088

You can be should, just check the 2080 super it has the exact same die just running slower. With the 1080 the performance was very close between the mobile and desktop (nVidia correctly highlighted this), only with Ampere they went backwards, thanks to its inefficient architecture coupled with GDDR6X.
AMD adds an m to differentiate.
People buy gaming laptops, because they are great they offer a complete package, good screens, better keyboards, while being faster than regular laptops and now with AMD they have great battery life as well, plus they can be great desktop replacement, for people with no space, while being quite powerful (3060ti level of performance).

System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
You can be should, just check the 2080 super it has the exact same die just running slower. With the 1080 the performance was very close between the mobile and desktop (nVidia correctly highlighted this), only with Ampere they went backwards, thanks to its inefficient architecture coupled with GDDR6X.
AMD adds an m to differentiate.
People buy gaming laptops, because they are great they offer a complete package, good screens, better keyboards, while being faster than regular laptops and now with AMD they have great battery life as well, plus they can be great desktop replacement, for people with no space, while being quite powerful (3060ti level of performance).
As much as some people don't appreciate, PC parts are still very expensive. I will submit that the level of performance that is available for a desktop alternative is their in the mid range like 3060. In fact the 3060 laptop is actually registering on Steam Charts. Driving a 14-17' screen is not that demanding, even at 4K. The current refresh rates and monitor technologies are also compelling choices for the current crop of GPUs and as you said the battery power is crazy. There was a time that you could buy a 5800/3060 laptop for about the same as a 3060. The laptop 3060 will run any Game you throw at it at high enough frames to use VRR or whatever iteration of Freesync or Gsync the laptop decides to incorporate so no choppiness there. Of course for the purposes of this the 6800M could not hold a candle to the 6800 as the Power draw cannot even be compared. My 6800XT draws as much as 650 Watt PSU power playing Everpspace 2. My laptop draws about 200 Watts PSU power when playing Everspace 2 and produces about 2/3 the absolute highest FPS. Of course that is 1080P 17" and 4K 43"so there is much more real estate to draw. As the 3060 struggles to get in the VRR range at 43" 4K. Not that is was designed for that anyway. I can't speak to the 3050 laptop but based on the desktop version it looks more like a money grab than anything else as that has replaced the 3060 laptop in the 11-1500$ Canadian range. I do want an all AMD laptop though. I want to see if the 6800M is faster than my 6500XT.