1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choice of 1050Ti - passive cooling load threshold

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by notb, Apr 20, 2017.

1. notb

Thanks Received:
    While a number of GPU cards started to offer fan-less operation in idle and low load, I can't really find much information on the actual load threshold.
    I'm choosing between 3 cards:
    ASUS 1050 Ti Strix OC
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti G1 Gaming
    MSI 1050 Ti Gaming X

Has anyone seen a review with a fan profile (rpm vs load) or a similar check?

Sure, it's great that all 3 cards will turn off the fan in idle, but I'd love to know if it stays that way while watching movies or playing less demanding games (e.g. Diablo III or something even simpler that can be easily played on IGP).

I'll be playing at 1600x900 or 1080p. :)

EDIT:
    OK... I've seen a review of Gigabyte 1060 Mini ITX 3GB. It's quiet and has a fan-less mode. It's also an option now - maybe even the most interesting because of the small form factor (though I'd still have to remove the 3rd HDD cage from Node 304).
    I didn't really like the Zotac 1050Ti Mini, but Gigabyte seems to have nailed it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. Caring1

Caring1

Thanks Received:
    I would think it would be related to temperature, not load.
    If you game in a freezer i'm sure the fan will stay off while you watch a movie or play basic games.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. ASOT

ASOT

Thanks Received:
    Why choose Strix,G1 and Gaming X,why not a GTX 1060 3 Gb version like WF2 Gigabyte or MSI Armor ?

The difference is little but performance wise increase,u dont need that rgb leds and heavy cooling for Pascal 16nm FinFet

4. notb

Thanks Received:
    Because I don't need 1060 power either. And it's way more expensive.
    At the moment I can get the ASUS Strix for ~$180 compared to normal ~$200.
    MSI GTX 1060 Armor is $230...

5. jabbadap

Thanks Received:
    There's no palit KalmX on your country(review on guru3d)? Those cards you mention in OP are all very silent on load anyway, I would not worry much of their noise.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ASOT

ASOT

Thanks Received:
    Then get the one is cheaper,all 3 are good. :)

7. notb

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to get a FD Node 304 for this and the design is not suitable for passive GPU cooling (and I'm not sure whether it would fit). But sure, this was an option from the beginning (when I was going for a larger case) and I quite like the price - it's cheaper than the other 3.

8. Kanan

Kanan

Thanks Received:
    It will stay off while watching movies, but Diablo 3 would demand too much, unless you limit the FPS to 60 maybe. It depends, and you have to find that one out yourself. But I had a MSI Gaming here and it was even with fans on nearly silent. Those big fans run on low RPM anyway when cooling such a low power GPU.

notb says thanks.