• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Choosing a monitor

lance36

I've started a new build and because of my favorite game I'm second guessing my monitor choice. I'll go into what I've been playing on, what I'm upgrading to, and games I play.

My current set up isn't great, I play on a Asus G751JT laptop, it has a Haswell I7, 970m 4gb, 32gb of G.skill ram and a samsung evo SSD connected to a acer VG240Y. This info isn't really that important

My new rig (which I'm still buying parts for) will be AMD Zen 3 5600x (when in stock I'll buy) RTX 3080 (when in stock I'll buy), Asus Tuf 570 pro wifi MOBO (have), 32 gb of G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16CL (have), WD Black SN850 (have). If this isn't enough info for what my rigs performance will be like then I'll add more info.

Games I play. The game I play the most and is my favorite is Rust. So I would like my choice to be built around this being the main game I play. Other games in no particular order are Apex, Warzone, Starcraft 2,Diablos, HOTS, Bloodstained. I'm not moving from my GPU choice because I like to stream games like bloodstained to my Shield TV.

My budget is high to mid range (between 500-1k usd) I live in the USA. I want a monitor that's at least 27'' but a wide monitor would be nice,1440p would be a must but 4k would be nice, and last I want something that's at least 144hz but more wouldn't hurt. I guess my biggest concern is response time in Rust since it's a game that has lower FPS and I know some monitors response times can very depending on the FPS. This is where I need help. Thanks!

Reactions: Rei
System Name SYBARIS
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600
Motherboard MSI Arsenal Gaming B450 Tomahawk
Cooling Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi
Memory Team T-Force Delta RGB 2x8GB 3200CL16
Video Card(s) Colorful GeForce RTX 2060 6G V2
Storage WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB + Crucial MX500 500GB
Display(s) LG 22MP68VQ-P 22" 75hz IPS
Case In Win Mana 136
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud X | iVOOMi iVO-169SUFBT 2.1
Power Supply Cooler Master G550M
Mouse Cooler Master MM711 | Logitech G102 Prodigy | Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Keyboard Fantech MK871 RGB TKL Outemu Blue mechanical keyboard
Software Windows 10 Education v2004 x64

lance36

Thank you very much. It seems like I'm no longer interested in wide monitors but I do like the LG-27GN950 and 850 but I'm a little unsure. They seem to be the best across the board when it comes to response time and fps. But if I go with the 4k model will I really lose any performance? I've watch a couple of Rust 3080 youtube videos but none with the 5600x. The game seems to rely heavy on CPU and ram performance as well. I might just be over thinking it and it might not be noticeable. I look forward to anyone's opinion.
Thanks again