• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cisco Appoints AMD President and CEO Dr. Lisa T. Su to Board of Directors

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Cisco today announced the appointment of Dr. Lisa T. Su, AMD president and CEO, to its board of directors effective today. "Lisa is an accomplished business leader with deep expertise in the semiconductor industry," said Chuck Robbins, chairman and CEO, Cisco. "We look forward to her contributions to Cisco's board and our business as we continue to develop ground breaking technologies, and a new internet for the 5G era that will help our customers innovate faster than ever before."

Dr. Su, 50, joined AMD in 2012 and has held the position of President and Chief Executive Officer since October 2014. She also serves on AMD's Board of Directors. Previously, Dr. Su served as Senior Vice President and General Manager, Networking and Multimedia at Freescale Semiconductor, Inc., and was responsible for global strategy, marketing and engineering for the company's embedded communications and applications processor business. Dr. Su joined Freescale in 2007 as Chief Technology Officer, where she led the company's technology roadmap and research and development efforts.

Dr. Su spent the previous 13 years at IBM in various engineering and business leadership positions, including Vice President of the Semiconductor Research and Development Center responsible for the strategic direction of IBM's silicon technologies, joint development alliances and semiconductor R&D operations. Prior to IBM, she was a member of the technical staff at Texas Instruments Incorporated from 1994 to 1995. Dr. Su has a Bachelor of Science, Master of Science and Doctorate degrees in Electrical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

For more information about Cisco's board of directors visit here.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
This is going to be brutal for the share price. I guess financials will also be bad.

Wow! This is going to be huge in server space. Also, it'll bring more AMDs products in CISCO devices.:rockout:

Wow! This is going to be huge in server space. Also, it'll bring more AMDs products in CISCO devices.:rockout:
It won't. It would be not allowed for a board member to promote (force?) products of another company she works for.

Unless of course Cisco is going to buy AMD in long term and this is just the first move. :)

Processor Intel core i5 4590s
Motherboard Asus Z97 Pro Gamer
Cooling Evercool EC115A 915SP Cpu cooler,Coolermaster [200mm (front and top)+140mm rear]
Memory Corsair 16GB(4x4) ddr3 CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9(Ver8.16)(XMP)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Storage Western Digital WDC WD2001FAS 2TB Black, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB
Display(s) LG Flatron L177WSB
Case Coolermaster CM Storm Enforcer
Audio Device(s) Creative A550 Speakers 5.1 channel
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex 2 Gold 650W SF-650F14EG
Mouse PLNK M-740 Optical Mouse
Keyboard ibuypower GKB100 Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Sp1 64 bit
There is no clear reason given for her appointment just usual tech media generalisations about innovation and corporate buzzwords

Kind of amazing to see the level of talent in industry's spotlight. She is so lighthanded.

This is going to be brutal for the share price. I guess financials will also be bad.
For whose share price?
She is not moving (well, yet). She just joins the board of directors. There's no conflict.
There is no clear reason given for her appointment just usual tech media generalisations about innovation and corporate buzzwords
The reason is: she was asked by shareholders (some of whom also own a lot of AMD). Board of directors represents the shareholders, not the company. She is not an employee of Cisco.

But of course it does happen that people move from board of directors to management board. This first step will let her learn more about the company.
Of course moving from AMD to Cisco CEO would be a promotion (at least financially).

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Maybe instead of this she could be figuring out a way to get better drivers for Navi... I'm leaning towards Ryzen 4800x CPU and Nvidia RTX 3080 for my next PC. I just can't trust AMD with gpu drivers still sadly... it's been several months and people are still having loads of issues.

Processor 11700
Motherboard TUF z590
Memory G.Skill 32gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) ROG Vega 56
Case Deepcool
Power Supply RM 850
Its not the CEOs job to make drivers anyway i'm quite sure that AMD is aware of their driver situation and they are working on it.

Like they say Rome wasn't built in a day

Maybe instead of this she could be figuring out a way to get better drivers for Navi... I'm leaning towards Ryzen 4800x CPU and Nvidia RTX 3080 for my next PC. I just can't trust AMD with gpu drivers still sadly... it's been several months and people are still having loads of issues.
Being on a board of directors will take a few days of her year, likely during leave of absence.
She's an engineer and a top manager. She surely has ambitions larger than being worshiped by gamers.

Anyway, this shouldn't have any impact on her work at AMD. Of course assuming no "next steps" are going to happen.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Might well be a prelude to a bigger move regarding 5G and core network hardware. Intel is showing less trustworthy especially for government (US) and leaky hardware isn't precisely the best thing right now.

One thing is dead certain, this is not a coincidence in terms of timing. These things simply never are.

Might well be a prelude to a bigger move regarding 5G and core network hardware. Intel is showing less trustworthy especially for government (US) and leaky hardware isn't precisely the best thing right now.
You mean Cisco switching to AMD chips? If so, then an AMD CEO on board would be a problem (huge conflict of interest).

That would only make sense if Cisco and AMD were to be somehow joined (takeover, holding, conglomerate etc). Taking an AMD CEO to the board would be a natural move.

Since we don't know anything about capital transactions, this does seem very netural. Cisco shareholders may have simply wanted someone technical, with an advanced degree etc. It always looks nice. Boards often include respected scientists from the field etc. It's also a good career (and likely: financial) move for Lisa Su.

As I mentioned earlier, AMD and Cisco largest shareholder lists are quite similar - with 4 common entities in top5.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Being on a board of directors will take a few days of her year, likely during leave of absence.
She's an engineer and a top manager. She surely has ambitions larger than being worshiped by gamers.

Anyway, this shouldn't have any impact on her work at AMD. Of course assuming no "next steps" are going to happen.

That's fine, but I will be buying nvidia for stability. /shrug

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard Asus Prime X570 Pro
Cooling Deepcool LS-720
Memory 32 GB (4x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 6800 XT Gaming OC
Storage Samsung PM9A1 (980 Pro OEM) + 960 Evo NVMe SSD + 830 SATA SSD + Toshiba & WD HDD's
Display(s) Samsung C32HG70
Case Lian Li O11D Evo
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Zx
Power Supply Seasonic 750W Focus+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G703 Lightspeed
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
Fun fact: Only NVIDIA has ever released drivers that literally kill cards. (And no, it wasn't just one time either)

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Fun fact: Only NVIDIA has ever released drivers that literally kill cards. (And no, it wasn't just one time either)
actually no, AMD did too in the R9 290 era (although my 290 at the time was not affected) but it was just one time ...

that being said ... got more issues with Nvidia drivers than AMD as far as i can recall i never once had to rollback with AMD drivers while with NV drivers i always use the antepenultimate version

don't know if it did change with the RX 5XXX series, for now i guess the only thing that didn't change is the people saying "i can't trust AMD drivers" whereas i have to say "i can't trust NV drivers" (and i still can't ... indeed 2 version rollback on my 1070 )

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P

Nah you won’t. Going by what I remember of your post, you will complain about RDNA2 while still ends up buying it. Your love for RTG is too strong, admit it!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Weird, this thread isn't about drivers................(but since it was mentioned, please note AMD drivers have been a nightmare for many users these past six weeks... to the tune of AMD releasing a new driver on a weekly cadence - as opposed to ~monthly/game ready. Adrenalin 2020 has been just short of a debacle for many and if you compared h2h now, many would disagree with AMD being more stable. :( ). They both have issues at times, people. :)

Anyway... didn't Nvidia buy some networking company in 2019 too? Mellanox or something? I recall this was to help them in the data center segment? Not sure how, but...........

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Stop! Just stop with these Cisco is buying AMD or vice versa theories. This appointment is about one thing and one things only, money to the individual.

Here is the list of board members for Cisco
https://investor.cisco.com/corporate-governance/board-of-directors/default.aspx
for AMD

Look at the resumes, virtually every single person is a CEO for another company or at worst a CFO. Go look at any Fortune 500 company and its board looks the same. It's a club that looks after their own so when it comes time to increase CEO pay who better to vote on it then a bunch of CEOs...

D

Deleted member 158293

Stop! Just stop with these Cisco is buying AMD or vice versa theories. This appointment is about one thing and one things only, money to the individual.

for AMD

Look at the resumes, virtually every single person is a CEO for another company or at worst a CFO. Go look at any Fortune 500 company and its board looks the same. It's a club that looks after their own so when it comes time to increase CEO pay who better to vote on it then a bunch of CEOs...

Good for Networking indeed directly at the executive level.

Nkd

Why not try and decide for yourself. do you know how many times I have seen and corrected people on reddit to actually tweak their memory? People seem run rams on higher speed and not fully stable and then get black screens or what not and blame the drivers.

worst thing you can do is make decision based off reddit or online posts. Because online you will find more complaints then people actually praising the product. If you have an AMD system its a must to fully test out your ram to see if its stable before blaming the drivers. Especially if you are running the ram at faster speed.

For example my 2700x does not like 3200mhz no matter what I try and I can literally cause came crashes all day, step it down to 2800 its rock solid.

As far as some bugs and other stuff goes its with any provider and AMD has been fixing them every driver.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Geez, some of you guys should read this before you comment...

Independent or outside directors are not involved in the day-to-day inner workings of the company. These board members are reimbursed and usually receive additional pay for attending meetings. Ideally, an outside director brings an objective, independent view to goal-setting and settling any company disputes. It is considered critical to strike a balance of internal and external directors on a board.

A board member is likely to be removed if they break foundational rules; for example, engaging in a transaction that is a conflict of interest, or striking a deal with a third party to influence a board vote.

for AMD

Seriously, I though explaining what supervisory board is wasn't necessary... But maybe you should read @Easy Rhino 's post. :p

Yes, most of them used to be CEO/CFO etc. That's how they got respect and experience needed to get where they are.

If I'm not mistaken: out of Cisco's board just 4/11 people are active CEOs (including Cisco own CEO - Robbins).
On AMD's board: Su is the only active CEO out of 8 (there's one founding partner and one senior managing director).
Most of these people are, simply put, retired.

Remember: supervisory board / board of directors members are proposed by owners/shareholders. It's quite unlikely for them to be active executives of other companies from the same industry. There's too much conflict possible.
The other two CEOs on Cisco's board are from an investment firm and from a pharmaceutical company.

Of course seeing this as a sign of merging etc is a bit far fetched. But the situation is somehow unusual.

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
Not that I doubt this may have been the case, care to point out the version or links to article?
remember seeing it here on TPU tho it was long ago .... i need to search a bit

the initial report:https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/11/amds-new-crimson-drivers-accused-of-burning-up-video-cards/

the news about the fix : https://www.techpowerup.com/217982/...on-incorrect-fan-speed-issue-being-fixed?cp=2

also here

as i mentioned fortunately it was only once (but strangely my own 290 didn't suffer the issue ... oh wait ... i had mine under a waterblock :laugh: )

correction, 2years after the R9 290 era :roll:

Last edited:
Oops. AMD outlook going down.
I have absolutely nothing against Lisa Su, but I'm looking forward to how cultists react if she is replaced...