• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Clevo P170SM-A 870M dead?

Xion

Hi!

First of all the Specs:
  • P170SM-A
  • GTX 870M 6gb
  • i7-4710MQ
  • 2x4gb Kingston Ram
  • Win 10 Pro
  • ME FW 9.1.0.1120
  • BIOS 1.03.11
  • EC 1.03.09

The Problem:
  • GTX 870M show up as 780M in Bios
  • GTX 870M Randomly installs "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" driver
  • Random bluescreens DX_Kernel
  • Have to force-install the driver with modded ini (to match ID) every 2 reboots or so
  • GPU-Z Shows 0mb Vram when "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" is applied (Ram dead?)

So, back in '18 i made a bios update to get the key backlight to work correctly.Since then, things changed over time. After some months i got the first bluescreens and then suddenly things added up.
Sadly i deleted the Bios after the Flash and now i cant find any fitting Bios for my Laptop anymore so i cant just reinstall the Bios to make sure things didnt go wrong back then.
Besides that i tryed alot already. Its def. not a Windows thing, since Linux has the same Problems and detects a 780 instead.
I found out, that the Device ID Changed at some Point. It used to be 1199 (GTX870M) but changed to 119F (780M).
Thought about flashing the Vbios, but again, i cant find any vbios for my exact ID's
10DE 1199(F) 7481 1558
Since Flashing the vbios wont change the ID anyways, it wont work i guess.
5K = 8
10K = 9
15K = A
20K = B
25K = C
30K = D
35K = E
40K = F
ID should be: 1199
But it is: 119F
So if the resistor at the end, which corresponds to 9 @ 10k, just burned and now has 40k+, it should spit out 119F.. if i got that right.(?)
Since its a damn little pcb .. i couldnt find any obviously broken resistor nor capacitor..
And i dont know where could be located at all.
Only thing i didnt get is how the 1's are generated.But since that thread is about an 670 im pretty sure that theres more to know about the 870M,
but i did'nt manage to find any info about the resistors for that card.If anyone knows something more about that, please tell me or just tell me where i could find more bout that topic.

Im a bit lost now and dont know what to do.. If you need or want more info just tell me.
Any ideas, any links for a Bios or maybe just verify my thoughts will help.Thanks in advance!! I really cant affort to just give up on that..
PS: Sorry for the novel & the bad spelling, im not good in such forum-post-things..
PPS: As long as the NVIDIA Driver is installed i can game just fine. Doesnt seem like the card is dead at all.

Screenshot_1.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i5-9600KF
Motherboard NZXT N7 Z370 Black
Cooling Cooler Master 240 RGB AIO / Stock
Memory Thermaltake Toughram 16GB 4400MHz DDR4 or Gigabyte 16GB 3600MHz DDR4 or Adata 8GB 2133Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 1060 6GB
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Unless you are handy with a Digital Multi Meter and are willing to test resistance on all the components on the GPU, buy a replacement.

Xion

Well i got one. Im tinkering with electronics here and there. Just never got into such tiny assemblies..
I tryed to test some spots but there so much connections goin on that im just lost where to start.
Buying a replacement isnt rlly an option at the moment, which is why i didnt give up yet..
Also im not in hurry.. i just want to get it working as it used to again..
The card itself works and i can usually play and also bench without problems.. as long as the driver doesnt spontaneously update itself...
it takes bout 15 min to reinstall the driver and to do that every ~2 days rlly just sucks.

But since you told me to test resistances - you think the idea of bad resistors could be the right path tho?
I'll try to get more into gpu's then..
Hard part would be to replace it i guess..

Ouh and just to make that clear, i didnt touch the Vbios, just thought about doing so.

Last edited: