• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ClkGen Spread Spectrum - what is it?

Chem

I haven't been able to really find out much about this setting in the bios - ClkGen Spread Spectrum - but I feel that it will be beneficial to overclocking. Right now I have been challenged in overclocking this Pentium 4 2.8e Prescott lga775 processor. I have a Soltek SL-915GPro-FGR motherboard that appears to have great overclocking options in the bios but am not really familiar with them. The ClkGen Spread Sprectrum is one of them - from what I have been able to pull together from the internet this ties in with the ram, however, why I am confused is that the options that I have to set the ClkGen Spread Spectrum are: disabled, -.25%, -.5%, .125%, .25%, .375%, .5%, and .75%. What do these values mean??? If anybody could shed some light on this subject I would greatly appreciate it.

ati.bob

That options actually enables the system clock (the clock generator) to modulate (change) the frequencies by the amount specified.. for example, if you choose -0.5%, the system clock will be modulated below 0.5% the actual value, thus it might reduce some interference between system components.. but this might cause instabilities on systems that are overclocked on the FSB.. so switch it off if you are overclocking the FSB, and switch it on to reduce the electromagnetic interference (EMI)..