• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

closing clubs....

Do yo agree with that your clubs really needs to be closed?

• No

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • want to discuss

Votes: 17 25.0%

• Total voters

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
@peche You are well within your rights to gain the public response to this situation. I was not attacking the tech aspect of the thread, I am seeing it from the outside. Many posts were on topic, many posts were just showing off gear and what was bought next. There is also the fact that we do have impressionable members here, and for the same reason we do not allow p0rn, we have members who feel that discussing tobacco/tobacco replacement related things is out of place for this site as well.
understood sir, i won't like to be a cancer here, will wait patiently till we get a official solution for the topic, thanks a lot for the information, have a great day, if possible a beer,

Thanks to all who had explained their civilized opinions here,

Regards,

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
"kids" nowadays can find everything they want on the entire internet and that includes far worse things than just a vape thread...

True. I am not going to argue with that.

But are you saying TPU would be okay to freely display vapes, sex toys, and drugs? Kids are going to look those up and find them anyway, so why bother trying to prevent such contents?

System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
True. I am not going to argue with that.

But are you saying TPU would be okay to freely display vapes, sex toys, and drugs? Kids are going to look those up and find them anyway, so why bother trying to prevent such contents?
While it seems you are simply playing devil's advocate the point of comparing vaping discussion to sex and drugs is a bit ridiculous. No one would advocate allowing display of sex toys or drugs and implying as much is silly.

Also I'm just going to leave this here.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Vibe_Therapy/Meridian/
I'll be damned if i can find who posted this link originally in this thread though.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Yet at the same time displays what I was on about how members seem to want to blur the lines to suit their needs. ;)

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
sex toys, and drugs?

Do I need to answer that?

(how about people showing off their weapons in the show off your purchase thread.....)

Time to go to bed...;)

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11

(how about people showing off their weapons in the show off your purchase thread.....)

Time to go to bed...;)

Easy to fix! Don't like it, report it. You all seem to assume that because we are here we are omnipotent. We cannot see everything, and do not have the time to comb through every single post made at TPU.

Time to go to bed...;)

If you would need to answer that, it would have been disturbing indeed. The point is there. A line always exists on free-for-all public forums unless its specifically for such purposes.

Vapes and beer clubs were going to be shut down. I was 110% sure of that. Those were out of line.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
Yet at the same time displays what I was on about how members seem to want to blur the lines to suit their needs. ;)
I agree completely however it is simply human nature to some people to ignore the rules regardless of situation and circumstance and do what they will. Clubs in general I feel had little effect on the behavior of those people as well. Even if clubs had never been a thing the behavior would have occurred regardless in a sizable bit of the populace.

Edit: It also doesn't help that certain high-profile examples of this behavior only end up with slaps on the wrist and just come right on back.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I agree completely however it is simply human nature to some people to ignore the rules regardless of situation and circumstance and do what they will. Clubs in general I feel had little effect on the behavior of those people as well. Even if clubs had never been a thing the behavior would have occurred regardless in a sizable bit of the populace.

Edit: It also doesn't help that certain high-profile examples of this behavior only end up with slaps on the wrist and just come right on back.

I can agree with most of what you are saying. As a moderator we have to walk a fine line. While most of the true offenders do find themselves on vacation quite a bit, even if say you pissed me off to no end, I cannot just get rid of you. I have a set of guidelines which I have to follow to get to that point. Public warning, 5 point, 10 point, 15 point... you get the idea. The thing is, many members will also walk that line, doing what they please for a bit, waiting for points to wear off, then come back and do it all over again. The system is not perfect, whether trying to rid the site of trolls or keeping the site clean for anyone to see, youngins, advertisers, or thin skinned, we have to appease everyone here.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
The system is not perfect, whether trying to rid the site of trolls or keeping the site clean for anyone to see, youngins, advertisers, or thin skinned, we have to appease everyone here.
Seems to me at least we have lately been raising too many children even in my generation to have skin far to thin to survive the real world. How much of what you deal with as far as complaints would you say is people being thin-skinned rather than a more valid complaint?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Seems to me at least we have lately been raising too many children even in my generation to have skin far to thin to survive the real world. How much of what you deal with as far as complaints would you say is people being thin-skinned rather than a more valid complaint?

Honestly it is about 50/50. Most of the time we have to make a judgement call. Just because things are reported does not mean we have to act upon the request. On the other side of that coin, if thin skinned is what we are being handed to deal with, we have to accommodate them in some respects as well.

If you really want, make a suggestion for 18+ only forum and make verification hard, like having to provide a photo of you holding a driver's license proving that you are 18+ and a piece of paper written of your username.

Make it hidden from plain views and so on. I doubt it will get approved but it's certainly better than trying to fight against the decision.

P.S. Man, I wouldn't babysit others for free. Sucks to be a mod.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
If you really want, make a suggestion for 18+ only forum and make verification hard, like having to provide a photo of you holding a driver's license proving that you are 18+ and a piece of paper written of your username.

Make it hidden from plain views and so on. I doubt it will get approved but it's certainly better than trying to fight against the decision.
Just going to point out you seem to be the only one even remotely stuck on this whole totally family-friendly vibe that is taking the attitude of god forbid kids see something potentially distasteful. From reading the mod replies that did not factor into the decision at all so the point is irrelevant to discussion unless we get some reply stating it was indeed a contributing factor.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
It appears that you all just want to attack the staff rather than helping to improve things on the whole, so we would be more obliged to feel your pain. Help us help you ;)

Ask a question, get an answer. Repeat. There is absolutely no comradery or connection in posts like that. I love helping solve problems but I also enjoy discussions with like minded people. Since I am on TPU why should I have to leave the site to talk with friends....more importantly why wouldn't you want that type of personal engagement with the site between users and adding even more content to the site. From a digital marketing POV almost any topic discussed on here will be an Affinity group to Tech. Advertisers and Search Engines love that stuff. That is a win-win-win.

From a moderation POV yeah it is undoubtedly more work...but honestly that shouldn't be the end users problem. If you look into your web analytics and see traffic being driven to the site by these affinity groups then how could that possibly be bad for TPU?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Ask a question, get an answer. Repeat. There is absolutely no comradery or connection in posts like that. I love helping solve problems but I also enjoy discussions with like minded people. Since I am on TPU why should I have to leave the site to talk with friends....more importantly why wouldn't you want that type of personal engagement with the site between users and adding even more content to the site. From a digital marketing POV almost any topic discussed on here will be an Affinity group to Tech. Advertisers and Search Engines love that stuff. That is a win-win-win.

From a moderation POV yeah it is undoubtedly more work...but honestly that shouldn't be the end users problem. If you look into your web analytics and see traffic being driven to the site by these affinity groups then how could that possibly be bad for TPU?

I have explained it more than a couple of times now. If you like the fact that users are being attacked because a group of other members does not believe what they are doing is proper, or you like to see threads constantly derailed and closed, then it is part of the problem, not problem solving. I completely understand why members want such things (freedom/clubs), but as has been proven in the past, they do not seem up to the task of being privileged with such benefits currently. I digress however, as it seems we are starting to move way off topic. Threads were closed, the staff is still discussing it, make reasons to keep it! This thread has been some help to the cause, but look back and it is easy to see that many here just want to see it burn!

Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502
I have explained it more than a couple of times now. If you like the fact that users are being attacked because a group of other members does not believe what they are doing is proper, or you like to see threads constantly derailed and closed, then it is part of the problem, not problem solving. I completely understand why members want such things (freedom/clubs), but as has been proven in the past, they do not seem up to the task of being privileged with such benefits currently. I digress however, as it seems we are starting to move way off topic. Threads were closed, the staff is still discussing it, make reasons to keep it! This thread has been some help to the cause, but look back and it is easy to see that many here just want to see it burn!

Yeah it is sad that a few bad apples can spoil the harvest. What can be done? Perhaps allowing users to moderate clubs and also allow/deny membership. Of course there are a hundred ways to abuse that as well. Or maybe being a little more aggressive on the moderation side. Cut the bad apple out instead of killing the whole tree?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Yeah it is sad that a few bad apples can spoil the harvest. What can be done? Perhaps allowing users to moderate clubs and also allow/deny membership. Of course there are a hundred ways to abuse that as well.

That is just it! Also this is why it is under "development/discussion" at this time. With the group of moderators we have on hand at this time, we have seen just about everything, and every way to try and bypass things. We are trying to work together in favor of the masses to try to come up with a solution to try to appease everyone without opening the floodgates to things which have plagued GN and the clubs in the past.

Make it hidden from plain views and so on.

Another forum I used to visit a while back had this. It was called "The Cellar" where members were allowed to let off steam.

Personally I prefer to kick an old PC.

System Name it needs a name?
Processor Xeon E3-1241 v3 @3.5GHz- standard clock
Motherboard Asus Z97A 3.1
Cooling Bequiet! Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler, 2 x 140mm intake and 1 x 120mm exhaust PWM fans in the case
Memory 16 GB Crucial DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Ballistix Sport 2 x 8 GB
Video Card(s) Palit 980ti Super Jetscream
Storage Sandisk X110 256GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD, 640GB WD Blue, 12TB Ultrastar
Display(s) Acer XB270HU
Case Lian Li PC 7H
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB interface
Power Supply Seasonic P660
Mouse cheapo logitech wireless
Keyboard some keyboard from the 90's
Software Win10pro 64bit
Was there any problem arising from the music threads? As far as I saw they were quite innocuous.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
It has been said already
i dont know whether its been said already, I was just looking for clarification of what you posted a few posts back.

as we as moderators do, it might be easier for you to grasp
Im not having any difficulty grasping anything, I was just allowing you the opportunity to address what it seems (by reading your post), you might have felt no one was interested in hearing,

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
there should be a rule if you have been around here a DECADE you get a pass :p

Now: Apr 6. 2017

Total: 8, E-I-G-H-T years.
Conclusion: Beer affects your math skills.:toast:

No soup for you!:cry:

Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Mouse Logitech G502