• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Closing of relevant threads. Getting a response from OP.

I have the exact situation described here. Others may well do also:

There are other reasons for me to reply to the thread over starting a new one. Administrators may be in a better position than users to understand the answers to questions surrounding their posts. They are not in a better position than users to understand the MOTIVES of their posts however (certainly not without asking!)

The closing of the thread has make it impossible for the OP to respond , impossible for other with the same set of issues/same hardware to receive the solution of the OP. This attitude towards old threads also actively discourages users from posting on old threads where there may be specific reasons this is advantageous over starting a new thread.

What is the sense in this?

Will the OP still receive a notification of this or will I have to send them a PM to get a response?

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Whilst I did not close that thread, the moderator that did would clearly have seen that the OP has not logged in to TPU for more than 2 1/2 years which is why I would imagine he requested that you start your own new thread, I recommend the same and therefore I am closing this thread down also, good luck in finding a solution, there are many members here that can help you.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I see no reason to close Threads like this either.

Making a new Thread will break the experience for people coming to tpu from google, because they don’t know the other Thread exists

Whilst I did not close that thread, the moderator that did would clearly have seen that the OP has not logged in to TPU for more than 2 1/2 years which is why I would imagine he requested that you start your own new thread, I recommend the same and therefore I am closing this thread down also, good luck in finding a solution, there are many members here that can help you.

The moderator didn't request, reason, or explain anything. They closed the thread. Is it really necessary for a user like me to explain to the moderators here the difference between the two, from the point of view of someone coming the thread from external sources or trying to get a response from the OP for some reason?

2.5 years of inactivity does not equate to their being no possibility of obtaining a reply from the OP. Rather cynical towards members of the forum to presume they will just ignore the notification they receive when the thread. I imagine there are plenty who would be willing to take the time to provide a quick reply in that situation.

What is the real reason moderators do this?

Last edited:

bogmali

In Orbe Terrum Non Visi
System Name Daily Driver/Part Time
Processor Core i7-13700K/Ryzen R5-7600
Motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX/Asrock B650 Pro RS Wi-Fi
Cooling Corsair H150i RGB PRO XT AIO/Deep Cool LS-520 White
Memory Patriot 2x16GB DDR5-7200/XPG Lancer Blade 2X16GB DDR-5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3X OC RTX-4080 Super/Sapphire Radeon RX-7800XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe 2TB/KingSpec XG 7000 4TB M.2 NVMe/Crucial P5 Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW
Case Corsair 5000d AirFlow/Asus AP201 White
Audio Device(s) AudioEngine D1 DAC/Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 1K Watt/Seagotep 750W
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Adata XPG Summoner
Software Win11 Pro 64
Benchmark Scores Xbox Live Gamertag=jondonken
The closing of the thread has make it impossible for the OP to respond , impossible for other with the same set of issues/same hardware to receive the solution of the OP. This attitude towards old threads also actively discourages users from posting on old threads where there may be specific reasons this is advantageous over starting a new thread.

Will the OP still receive a notification of this or will I have to send them a PM to get a response?
Two things if I may:

1. As previously explained, OP has not logged in for over two years and the thread has not gotten any updates
2. The thread is just as old the last time the OP logged in and has some outdated info and that's why I suggested starting your own to get some newer info.

BLUF (bottom line up front) how difficult is it to make a thread of your own? You've created this thread and made responses which would have taken a lot less time if you just made a thread of your own like what I've suggested.

Real reason for moderation? I have explained my reasoning, what's your reason for making this an issue? Are you related to the OP in the other thread by chance? He/she has not logged in for over 2 years and you're arguing about notification that is probably irrelevant at this point because of reasons I have already mentioned.

System Name Ghetto Rigs z490|x99|Acer 17 Nitro 7840hs/ 5600c40-2x16/ 4060/ 1tb acer stock m.2/ 4tb sn850x
Processor 10900k w/Optimus Foundation | 5930k w/Black Noctua D15
Motherboard z490 Maximus XII Apex | x99 Sabertooth
Cooling oCool D5 res-combo/280 GTX/ Optimus Foundation/ gpu water block | Blk D15
Memory Trident-Z Royal 4000c16 2x16gb | Trident-Z 3200c14 4x8gb
Video Card(s) Titan Xp-water | evga 980ti gaming-w/ air
Storage 970evo+500gb & sn850x 4tb | 860 pro 256gb | Acer m.2 1tb/ sn850x 4tb| Many2.5" sata's ssd 3.5hdd's
Display(s) 1-AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz/ 2nd 1-ASUS VG248QE 24"/ 3rd LG 43" series
Case D450 | Cherry Entertainment center on Test bench
Audio Device(s) Built in Realtek x2 with 2-Insignia 2.0 sound bars & 1-LG sound bar
Power Supply EVGA 1000P2 with APC AX1500 | 850P2 with CyberPower-GX1325U
Mouse Redragon 901 Perdition x3
Keyboard G710+x3
Software Win-7 pro x3 and win-10 & 11pro x3
Benchmark Scores Are in the benchmark section
Hi,
Lots of threads get locked
Sometimes at the op's request.

I've not seen a lot of them moved or even merged
Various reasons.

People make threads of soon to be news threads weekly matter of fact
Mod's lock the original thread with many or just a few posts instead of merging it with the news thread
Seems like a waste @W1zzard

Processor Intel i5-13600KF
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Lightning
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7800 XT
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF 165Hz
Case Fractal Meshify C
Power Supply Seasonic Focus 750
Mouse Logitech G502 HERO
Keyboard Logitech G512
I feel like the OP's experience just went wrong here, and I want to encourage the OP to start a new thread as suggested.
Who knows? Nobody is trying to shut you down - they are trying to help you.

I feel that closing the old thread was appropriate. Considering it had no useful information or solution, merging it would also be pointless IMO.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
The moderator didn't request, reason, or explain anything. They closed the thread. Is it really necessary for a user like me to explain to the moderators here the difference between the two, from the point of view of someone coming the thread from external sources or trying to get a response from the OP for some reason?

2.5 years of inactivity does not equate to their being no possibility of obtaining a reply from the OP. Rather cynical towards members of the forum to presume they will just ignore the notification they receive when the thread. I imagine there are plenty who would be willing to take the time to provide a quick reply in that situation.

Yes it does its been two years the question we should be asking you is WHY Do you care Mr 8 Posts

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
A different perspective: wouldn't it be MUCH better form to just send the OP a PM, ánd ask the question in a separate topic of your own?

You know, approach the problem from every angle to get what you need asap. I'd consider that more logical than going at it like this. Its not like this topic is getting you any answers.

To those suggesting I shouldn't care or have no reason to invest the time in posting here, I have no reason to respond to you other than to say that if you don't care about the issue's raised in the thread, then you have no reason to be here. Please leave the thread to those that do.

Regarding the lame adhominems about autism etc, having autism doesn't mean your wrong about anything. Quite the contrary sometimes. To those authors, I kindly ask that you leave this thread alone as well unless you are able to contribute something useful.

If there is indeed so much outdated information in a post that it becomes a good idea in the judgement of an admin to lock it, then that's fair enough (if it's really the case!), but the time to give reasons for locking a thread is when it gets locked. If continually writing such information when closing threads proves time costly, I would suggest that that actually underlines their importance, but if closing is indeed the best course of action and giving specific reasons is not gonna happen for whatever reason, then perhaps a canned message containing reasoning is better than nothing? As mentioned, no such reason was given before locking. Saying 'the way forward is to open a new thread' is not really an explanation of anything and leads community memebers to understand little, or nothing. I think perhaps admins sometimes dont fully realise how many people share my views on this but don't bother to express it after the fact in sub forums like this and on't know the reasons why their threads are locked.

There are dates on the messages in threads. A person needs nothing other than that to know the likelihood that information in the thread is possibly outdated. In my view forums gain nothing by then locking the thread, as far as I can tell. But well, that's what I'm here asking about.....

Not singling out powerup here for what it's worth. Reddit does this after arbitrary periods in some sub-reddits and it's a source of frustration for many.

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
There are dates on the messages in threads. A person needs nothing other than that to know the likelihood that information in the thread is possibly outdated. In my view forums gain nothing by then locking the thread, as far as I can tell. But well, that's what I'm here asking about.....

And this is a very real issue. As a moderator I've seen many threads necroed and it's not unusual that the person doing so has skimmed over the date and doesn't realise it's out of date. Plus, I see alot of potentially harmful spam posts going up in those threads. Sure, we take care of that but still, old, untouched threads where the OP has since been vacant for literally years tend to be that way for a reason.

More, if I'm subbed in a forum but not the necro thread (highly likely), I'll not be alerted when a new post goes into a necro thread that I've not subbed to because it's been dead for two years. But, if a new member makes a new thread to disuss a similar topic, that thread will appear as an alert to me. That's a chance for more replies to a query.

Thanks for the above.

For me, whether a post is 'out-of-date' is not defined by it's date. It defined by whether the information in the thread is still useful to someone. Why can't/doesn't your forum can't simply activate a notification when accessing a thread that it is more than X months old indicating that the poster should check whether the information is indeed 'out of date', as many other forums do?
More, if I'm subbed in a forum but not the necro thread (highly likely), I'll not be alerted when a new post goes into a necro thread that I've not subbed to because it's been dead for two years. But, if a new member makes a new thread to disuss a similar topic, that thread will appear as an alert to me. That's a chance for more replies to a query.
Not sure I understand what subbed means here, nor how the post is a 'necro' post in any meaningful sense unless by 'necro' you guys mean a post that has had no response during some arbitrary period of time (2 years for example). As stated various times, the post and the information in it are all still perfectly relevant and the hardware is still out there in abundance in the thread in question.

However I understand that you are an admin, and you have your notifications configured a certian way that means you are more likely to be alerted to an old thread if you receive notifcation of a new thread on the same topic versus a reply directly to the same thread. If so, firstly what that says to me again is that such posts are relevant in a general sense, not the just from the point of view of the individual replying to the thread. If they weren't, why would admins set up their configurations so that they get alerts on those 'old' threads?

Also, that may be how you have set up your alerts as an admin, but unless I'm mistaken ordinary members do not have their alerts set up in such a fashion. Community members are often interested in getting a reply from the OP in particular, not just admins (as in the current case).

Are you saying that in cases where a thread is locked by an admin and someone comes along and wants to get the OP's resolution, the OP of the post (not just admins) is also more likely to respond with the resolution/information sought if the responder creates a new post versus if he/she replies directly to the thread of interest? How can that be? Does your forum not allow new post alerts to be sent to the OP of a thread if that thread is more than X months old, or something like that?

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
that the person doing so has skimmed over the date and doesn't realise it's out of date.
You must check the checkbox in the screenshot below, so no way they don't know this is an old thread

Why can't/doesn't your forum can't simply activate a notification when accessing a thread that it is more than X months old indicating that the poster should check whether the information is indeed 'out of date', as many other forums do?
like this?

Ok, so your forum does do that already? Based on the previous comment in this thread, where it was suggested that one of the reasons threads get 'necroed' is because new posters might not pay attention to the date of the thread, I got the impression that it didn't have that feature.

Can anyone confirm if your forum also sends notifications to OP's when their 'old' threads get a reply?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
Ok, so your forum does do that already? Based on the previous comment in this thread, where it was suggested that one of the reasons threads get 'necroed' is because new posters might not pay attention to the date of the thread, I got the impression that it didn't have that feature.

Can anyone confirm if your forum also sends notifications to OP's when their 'old' threads get a reply?
Only if they set that feature in their preferences, I think by default it is "no". My earlier comment about the OP never having logged in for 2.5 years despite saying he would let the thread contributors know if a solution had worked, along with the fact that had he enabled notifications he would have seen the couple of later posts led me to believe that it is highly unlikely he is on notifications.

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Something else to consider OP: Many threads, just as the one you have pointed out, was started with new member that joined that very day.

This happens many many times on tons of tech forums. Someone joins, starts a thread about an issue, gets help to solve it, and is never heard from again. Usually the OP doesn't even post again to tell everyone if all the suggestions even helped or not.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand your frustration, especially if you are having pretty much the same issues.

And, as you might have noticed, the OP of that thread never did come back in and tell everyone if the issue had been solved.

With all of that said, I also feel it would be of more benefit to you to have started a new thread regarding your specific issue.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Making a mountain out of a mole hill, yeesh.

I have the exact situation described here. Others may well do also:

There are other reasons for me to reply to the thread over starting a new one. Administrators may be in a better position than users to understand the answers to questions surrounding their posts. They are not in a better position than users to understand the MOTIVES of their posts however (certainly not without asking!)

To those suggesting I shouldn't care or have no reason to invest the time in posting here, I have no reason to respond to you other than to say that if you don't care about the issue's raised in the thread, then you have no reason to be here. Please leave the thread to those that do.

Regarding the lame adhominems about autism etc, having autism doesn't mean your wrong about anything. Quite the contrary sometimes. To those authors, I kindly ask that you leave this thread alone as well unless you are able to contribute something useful.

If there is indeed so much outdated information in a post that it becomes a good idea in the judgement of an admin to lock it, then that's fair enough (if it's really the case!), but the time to give reasons for locking a thread is when it gets locked. If continually writing such information when closing threads proves time costly, I would suggest that that actually underlines their importance, but if closing is indeed the best course of action and giving specific reasons is not gonna happen for whatever reason, then perhaps a canned message containing reasoning is better than nothing? As mentioned, no such reason was given before locking. Saying 'the way forward is to open a new thread' is not really an explanation of anything and leads community memebers to understand little, or nothing. I think perhaps admins sometimes dont fully realise how many people share my views on this but don't bother to express it after the fact in sub forums like this and on't know the reasons why their threads are locked.

Not singling out powerup here for what it's worth. Reddit does this after arbitrary periods in some sub-reddits and it's a source of frustration for many.

Thanks for the above.

For me, whether a post is 'out-of-date' is not defined by it's date. It defined by whether the information in the thread is still useful to someone. Why can't/doesn't your forum can't simply activate a notification when accessing a thread that it is more than X months old indicating that the poster should check whether the information is indeed 'out of date', as many other forums do?

Not sure I understand what subbed means here, nor how the post is a 'necro' post in any meaningful sense unless by 'necro' you guys mean a post that has had no response during some arbitrary period of time (2 years for example). As stated various times, the post and the information in it are all still perfectly relevant and the hardware is still out there in abundance in the thread in question.

However I understand that you are an admin, and you have your notifications configured a certian way that means you are more likely to be alerted to an old thread if you receive notifcation of a new thread on the same topic versus a reply directly to the same thread. If so, firstly what that says to me again is that such posts are relevant in a general sense, not the just from the point of view of the individual replying to the thread. If they weren't, why would admins set up their configurations so that they get alerts on those 'old' threads?

Also, that may be how you have set up your alerts as an admin, but unless I'm mistaken ordinary members do not have their alerts set up in such a fashion. Community members are often interested in getting a reply from the OP in particular, not just admins (as in the current case).

Are you saying that in cases where a thread is locked by an admin and someone comes along and wants to get the OP's resolution, the OP of the post (not just admins) is also more likely to respond with the resolution/information sought if the responder creates a new post versus if he/she replies directly to the thread of interest? How can that be? Does your forum not allow new post alerts to be sent to the OP of a thread if that thread is more than X months old, or something like that?

Instead of complaining about the thread why not focus on fixing your bunk laptop!?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
why is this thread even allowed to exist I can't name anything else less deserving of existence then this thread

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The biggest problem is when people come in thinking an old post is the same as their problem, when its not

We often get a LOT of confusion from new members all posting at once about an issue, in a thread about something else - none give their system specs, none properly describe the problem... so the default is "go make a new thread so we can actually HELP you"

Once again, to all those claiming there is no point in this thread existing...if sufficient admins feel it isn't worthy of the server space I'm sure it will get locked or deleted, and your anguish will then be over. Until then you have the freedom to contribute to topics you feel are interesting or worthy of discussion. Please, take advantage of that freedom.

This topic of this thread is more than just a gripe about a thread being locked, it is about best practices when it comes to locking threads like the one in question, getting a response for an OP, and related questions. I think it's also quite informative (certainly for me) about the reasons threads do get locked, and why it arguably makes sense in some cases to lock, or why the chances of a response to a direct reply are slim. For me, on the former the explanations here have been enlightening. On the latter I feel (thus far) that this isn't much of a case for locking necessarily as there may be other members who have solutions to the exact same problem (among other reasons).

All those who feel that is a worthy topic of discussion and that this is the appropriate place for it, thank you for your contributions.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
BCN1000: You brought up a worthy topic for discussion, don't worry about that
Of course we have people thinking locking and new threads is the best course of action - because it's what we currently do.

I'm starting to think we may well need to leave threads open in case older posters do return or people find fixes for long standing bugs, but still give advice for new threads if we think it's a seperate issue

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
@BCN1000 You've brought up a good point by creating this thread and it's great to see TPU take on board your comments. Credit all round.

Of course we have people thinking locking and new threads is the best course of action - because it's what we currently do.

I'm starting to think we may well need to leave threads open in case older posters do return or people find fixes for long standing bugs, but still give advice for new threads if we think it's a seperate issue
On my forum. I don't believe in locking or deleting threads unless absolutely necessary, eg started by a spammer, even if they're many years old. I also don't have a problem with people posting in a thread that hasn't seen action for years, too. As long as their post is reasonably on topic and not just being bumped for the sake of it, I'm good.

Yes, I created a forum from scratch recently, with a little help from @W1zzard in a couple of places when I came to him for advice. :cool:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64

I agree and I have always applied that thought to threads that have ideas/troubleshooting that have led to confirmed solutions because simply they are very useful, however like I said, I didn't close that thread but it contained neither as the OP didn't return to inform us sadly.