1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Coaxial TV Cable problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eoghan Mag, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Eoghan Mag New Member

Thanks Received:
    I live in Ireland and I have a poor TV reception. I know what the problem is but I don't know the cause. The aerial cable coming in is a coaxial cable and for some reason it keeps getting wet at the point where the connection goes into my DVD player. I suspected that this could be due to sweating as the connector was held in place by electrical insulation tape, but when I removed the tape, pared down the cable and reset the connection after a period of about 3 weeks the wet build up occurred once again. Could this be a capillary effect with water leeching in from the cable outside and creeping along to the end point? When the cable was dry the picture improved straight away. The TV cable comes from a roof aerial but the TV is 6 feet from any point that could possibly produce water. Has anyone else here come across this problem? I have searched the internet and not found the answer.

2. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Tape you a rag around the cable at the back of your tv and see if it will catch the water.

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Maybe check for dampness in the wall were the cable comes from and make sure the cable out side is sealed and tightend correctly.

Is the water coming though the inside ot outside of the cable casing if in side of the casing think about replacing the cable. If outside the casing check for leaks in your house as there could be a much bigger issue later due to mold..

And no not had the issue my self just trying help :).

4. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    You may want to buy a connector and hook the cable that is currently going into the TV into the connector, then run a new shorter cable to the TV. The connector should stop any water and could possibly improve your picture. If water continues to build at the same spot on the new cable, then it's something else locally. (But I doubt it)

A connector and a short coax cable should be pretty cheap too....Just a thought...:)

5. Eoghan Mag New Member

Thanks Received:
    Asylum yes currently my temp. solution is a rag around the cable. Thoughtdisorder I have also used the idea of a short cable to keep water from the electronics. Asrock the water is for sure coming from the inside of the cable. Replacing the entire length of cable may well be the best option. I am just surprised that no-one else has come across this problem.

Thanks all for your help!