• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Coil whine related to micro-stutter?

My finished mini-ITX build works great except for this weird micro stutter going on when I play games. When I play games, I can hear coil whine from my GPU in sync with when it stutters. That is - at the exact point when the game micro stutters, the coil wine stops, then starts up when it's all smooth again. It's basically like the frame freezes for some ms, then continues on.

Anyone have suggestions for solutions in regards to this? Give the GPU more voltage/undervolt it? Raise/decrease the power limit? I have isolated the coil whine to the GPU, as the noise is 100% coming from there. However, when I pair the GPU in a different setup with a TX750V2 PSU, the coil whine is not being emitted. Might it be that the SF450 PSU I have in my build is not providing the GPU with enough voltage/a steady stream of voltage?

The specs are:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.19 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($162.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX 470 8GB NITRO+ Video Card
Case: Silverstone - Sugo SG13B Mini ITX Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 51.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($10.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Other: SilverStone Technology Universal ATX to SFX Power Supply Bracket RL-PP08B ($10.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $732.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-07 21:11 EDT-0400

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
iirc, coil whine is at its loudest when theres a loading screen, or title screen. maybe when the stutter happens its a similar reaction to that "frozen screen" situation and becomes its loudest during the stutter?

iirc, coil whine is at its loudest when theres a loading screen, or title screen. maybe when the stutter happens its a similar reaction to that "frozen screen" situation and becomes its loudest during the stutter?

The coil whine completely disappears during the micro-stutter. So the sound disappears for some ms at the exact time when the screen stutters, then keeps going when the micro stutter is over with the coil whine going at it again. In addition to this, it becomes less intense when I set the FPS limit to e.g. 30 in Overwatch. The change of sound is very evident when I switch between e.g. 60fps and 30fps.

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
The coil whine completely disappears during the micro-stutter. So the sound disappears for some ms at the exact time when the screen stutters, then keeps going when the micro stutter is over with the coil whine going at it again. In addition to this, it becomes less intense when I set the FPS limit to e.g. 30 in Overwatch. It's very evident when I switch between e.g. 60fps and 30fps.

I may have gotten it reversed , but my guess is during the micro stutter rendering is stopped because the frames have dropped to zero , & for that millisecond the load on the gpu is zero for a split second,therefore the microstutter stops

I may have it backwards but I'm almost 100% certain that the freezing of the FPS for a millisecond is what's causing the stopping of the wine

I may have gotten it reversed , but my guess is during the micro stutter rendering is stopped because the frames have dropped to zero , & for that millisecond the load on the gpu is zero for a split second,therefore the microstutter stops

I may have it backwards but I'm almost 100% certain that the freezing of the FPS for a millisecond is what's causing the stopping of the wine

Makes sense. But why does it happen, and how can I fix it though?

Processor i7-11700K
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Audio Device(s) on board
By how much would be a good number?

If by "it" and you mean the coil wine, your guess is probably as good as mine I've heard people say hot glue on the side of a capacitor as well as stress tests for long durations.

Regarding the micro starter, i'm not sure. My AMD experience and did when I got rid of my 6950. I still have a few AMD cards but not in my personal PC. I always thought micro stutter stemmed from crossfire and SLI , that shows how little i know.

Is it all games? Have you tried windowed mode changing settings doing what Mr. genius said increasing power limit etc.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Your games on that 5400 drive?

Until it stops causing micro stutter/power throttling. Or just dial back clocks until it stops power throttling. One or the other.

Only the GPU clock or the Memory clock too? The memory clock is at 2000MHz. What would be a safe number to start with to test if that can have an effect?

Until it stops causing micro stutter/power throttling. Or just dial back clocks until it stops power throttling. One or the other.

So I tried turning the GPU clock down. I can hear quite the difference in coil whine when I turn it down 600MHz or so, but that's basically cutting the performance in half I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
So I tried turning the GPU clock down. I can hear quite the difference in coil whine when I turn it down 600MHz or so, but that's basically cutting the performance in half I guess.
So, "coil whine" is induced by the frequency of the power delivered. It's usually an inductor causing it. It's not really a problem, just something that happens because of the switching frequency of the power delivery, and as such, it's largely unavoidable 100%. The coil whine changing when the FPS drops is natural... because the power being used by the GPU when this happens has changed. It is commonly heard obnoxiously when the work being done by a GPU is slight, and FPS is high, but the reverse can also be true too, I suppose. The two are related because the power delivery changes, and neither is a "fault"...

Looking at PSU is a good idea, but what's funny about that PSU is that it's 450W rating is only good at 40c, but the marketing material on Corsair's site suggests that it's good to 105c, because of "Premium internal components ensure solid power delivery and long term reliability." and "Zero RPM mode for virtually silent operation, and 105°C All Japanese capacitors for better reliability.", but I can't understand how a PSU is quality if it says "Engineered to meet maximum power output at a 40°C temperature rating." I'd be more looking for 65C or 70C myself to call something "quality" (55c is a normal de-rating point), especially in SFF use. I'd says PSU is crap and is causing GPU to throttle as you surmised. If your GPU is internally exhausted, it could be that the case inside is too hot, and this causes the PSU to flake out, which then causes the GPU to stumble a bit.

So, "coil whine" is induced by the frequency of the power delivered. It's usually an inductor causing it. It's not really a problem, just something that happens because of the switching frequency of the power delivery, and as such, it's largely unavoidable 100%. The coil whine changing when the FPS drops is natural... because the power being used by the GPU when this happens has changed. It is commonly heard obnoxiously when the work being done by a GPU is slight, and FPS is high, but the reverse can also be true too, I suppose. The two are related because the power delivery changes, and neither is a "fault"...

Looking at PSU is a good idea, but what's funny about that PSU is that it's 450W rating is only good at 40c, but the marketing material on Corsair's site suggests that it's good to 105c, because of "Premium internal components ensure solid power delivery and long term reliability." and "Zero RPM mode for virtually silent operation, and 105°C All Japanese capacitors for better reliability.", but I can't understand how a PSU is quality if it says "Engineered to meet maximum power output at a 40°C temperature rating." I'd be more looking for 65C or 70C myself to call something "quality" (55c is a normal de-rating point), especially in SFF use. I'd says PSU is crap and is causing GPU to throttle as you surmised. If your GPU is internally exhausted, it could be that the case inside is too hot, and this causes the PSU to flake out, which then causes the GPU to stumble a bit.

Do you think the SF600 would make any difference? I opted for the SF450 because I thought it was more than enough power for this build.

Also, if I turn the power limit down, the coil whine becomes less. However, the temperature go higher. Could it be an option to lower the power limit, put on a more aggressive fan curve, and keep it under 75-80C?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Do you think the SF600 would make any difference? I opted for the SF450 because I thought it was more than enough power for this build.

Also, if I turn the power limit down, the coil whine becomes less. However, the temperature go higher. Could it be an option to lower the power limit, put on a more aggressive fan curve, and keep it under 75-80C?
I would test this by taking the entire PC apart, and assembling it outside of the case. This would allow the PSU fresh air all the time. If it works fine in those conditions, then likely PSU is culprit.

I can't say for sure it's the PSU though, but SFF cases usually don't have great airflow, and that PSU's relatively low temperature rating is odd to me, and your system is likely very close to 400W if you have the CPU OC'ed. The GPU might use 175W, say 50-75 for the board, memory, cooler and fan, 85W for CPU (maybe a touch less, or a touch more), drives use only a little bit, so you're looking at like 300W - 350W so the PSU would be fine... if it is remaining at 40c or less. So testing it with lots of airflow should allow it to push that 450W.

It is also possible that your CPU is throttling, so while the first thought might be the PSU, it might not be. Could also be some weird BIOS bug for the board... hard to tell. Update board's BIOS, perhaps. If it has the launch BIOS, the CPU could be pulling more power than it needs, common thing on early BIOSes for this platform, and that might explain the PSU being overwhelmed. I'd be investigating this should running the system out of the case does not fix the issue.

First of all, coil whine is not a problem, or even related to any kind of problem. Get that thought out of your head entirely. It sounds weird to me that using a higher output PSU seems to make it go away. Makes no sense at all frankly. But I'm not going to argue with you about that. I'm also not going to say it(the "micro stutter" not the coil whine) couldn't be caused by the lower wattage PSU. You didn't mention anything but the coil whine being "fixed" with the higher wattage PSU. So I went with the assumption of the power limit being too low causing power throttling(which I'm still assuming might be true). Stock clocks shouldn't power throttle with a stock power limit(+0%). But I don't know what clocks you're running...so that's why I mentioned lowering the clocks. Lowering the power limit causing higher temps makes no sense either. But again...whatever. I'll take your word for it. As far as this or that being safe...you're worrying to much IMO. The graphics card BIOS has limits set that will protect the card from being damaged by any adjustments you want to make(unless you modded the BIOS). Power limit maxed, voltage maxed, overclock it until it crashes and/or starts throwing artifacts...you're fine. You're not going to hurt anything.

BTW Sapphire recommends a 500W PSU for your card. So that's something to consider. And he's got a point about it possibly being the CPU throttling too.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I would test this by taking the entire PC apart, and assembling it outside of the case. This would allow the PSU fresh air all the time. If it works fine in those conditions, then likely PSU is culprit.

I can't say for sure it's the PSU though, but SFF cases usually don't have great airflow, and that PSU's relatively low temperature rating is odd to me, and your system is likely very close to 400W if you have the CPU OC'ed. The GPU might use 175W, say 50-75 for the board, memory, cooler and fan, 85W for CPU (maybe a touch less, or a touch more), drives use only a little bit, so you're looking at like 300W - 350W so the PSU would be fine... if it is remaining at 40c or less. So testing it with lots of airflow should allow it to push that 450W.

It is also possible that your CPU is throttling, so while the first thought might be the PSU, it might not be. Could also be some weird BIOS bug for the board... hard to tell. Update board's BIOS, perhaps. If it has the launch BIOS, the CPU could be pulling more power than it needs, common thing on early BIOSes for this platform, and that might explain the PSU being overwhelmed. I'd be investigating this should running the system out of the case does not fix the issue.

I wonder if the other psu he tested can fit in the case of his, because it seems to have the right stuff for power delivery. And dave I take corsairs descriptions as a grain of salt.

By the way, at op has the drive been upgraded to the latest firmware?

When you installed the OS did you have the HDD disconnected?

Last edited:

Any way I can confirm it's the GPU or CPU power throttling? Any apps specifically which can address this? I'm not running any kind of OC by the way. Everything at stock settings.

I wonder if the other psu he tested can fit in the case of his, because it seems to have the right stuff for power delivery. And dave I take corsairs descriptions as a grain of salt.

By the way, at op has the drive been upgraded to the latest firmware?

When you installed the OS did you have the HDD disconnected?
SSD has latest firmware. Installed OS with the other HDD connected - any reason why this could have an effect?

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Any way I can confirm it's the GPU or CPU power throttling? Any apps specifically which can address this? I'm not running any kind of OC by the way. Everything at stock settings.

SSD has latest firmware. Installed OS with the other HDD connected - any reason why this could have an effect?

Because the install medium puts certain bootfiles on that drive instead of keeping them contained on 1 drive, its been like that since XP

Last edited:
So I did some research for my GPU, and it runs at 1.185mV at stock settings 1260MHz/2000Memory.
Figured out that this is a very high voltage to be running at for stock settings, so lowered it down to about 1.100mV, and coil whine is almost gone. Will try to get it lower, but afraid it will throttle the GPU/impact performance and stability.

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
In general terms coil whine happens when either A: which I think is your issue is insufficient/dirty power or the one that you can induce whine on the best of cards is letting it run "free" with no vysnc and pushing really high FPS as someone mentioned things like Game Intros where the FPS is pushing 500fps or greater. That is the only situation where mine wines is when it's pushing frames well above and beyond reason and its pretty much "straining" the coils trying to "keep up"

System Name Gamer
Processor Intel i9 9900K@4.9Ghz Offset voltage
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix Z390-F
Cooling Noctua NHD15S
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
Storage 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 512GB SSD Samsung 860evo/1TB nvme Samsung 970evo
Display(s) Asus MG278Q
Case CM Mastercase Pro 5
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster V850 - 850Watt
Mouse Logitech Hyperion G402
Keyboard Corsair K55
Software Windows10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Firestrike Ultra: 11444 - Timespy: 18246
My coilwhine goes away when I run a game, or in simple terms, put the gpu to work. It does not cause microstutter though.
Would coilwhine go away with sufficient power? I doubt it, it would be posted many times already if so.
microstutter however is something else, which could be solved with more power, or optimized drivers/game patches, or better graphicscard.
If this would also eliminate the coilwhine, then that's a bonus, but purely coincidental.

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Coil whine is normal tbh, you can be lucky and get totally silent cards, or unlucky and get a horrifically bad one. It's just the card's VRM doing it's thing. The micro-stuttering is completely unrelated, the coil whine stopping during the stutter is normal because the card briefly isn't doing anything so there's no load and no whine.

Did you check the RAM is running at a decent speed? Normally if you just put some ram in and boot it'll likely be running at 2133mhz, and with Ryzen, the infinity fabric runs at the same speed as the RAM so if it's running slow like I suspect it could definitely be holding your computer back and attributing to the stuttering. Overclocking the CPU would most likely help a little too, but that's your choice. Also some games just suck and are more likely to have stuttering.

Coil whine is normal tbh, you can be lucky and get totally silent cards, or unlucky and get a horrifically bad one. It's just the card's VRM doing it's thing. The micro-stuttering is completely unrelated, the coil whine stopping during the stutter is normal because the card briefly isn't doing anything so there's no load and no whine.

Did you check the RAM is running at a decent speed? Normally if you just put some ram in and boot it'll likely be running at 2133mhz, and with Ryzen, the infinity fabric runs at the same speed as the RAM so if it's running slow like I suspect it could definitely be holding your computer back and attributing to the stuttering. Overclocking the CPU would most likely help a little too, but that's your choice. Also some games just suck and are more likely to have stuttering.

As I previously remarked, my GPU runs at 1.185mV at stock settings 1260MHz/2000Memory. After looking it up, it seems like this is a very high stock voltage for stock settings for an RX 470 Sapphire 8GB. Lowered it down to 1.075Mv and coil whine is almost gone.
Figured out that this is a very high voltage to be running at for stock settings so lowered it down to about 1.065mV, and coil whine is almost gone. Will try to get it lower, but afraid it will throttle the GPU/impact performance and stability. What do you think? I checked the ASIQ score of the card, and it's 79%, which as far as I know is pretty decent. GPU temps under load is 75C, while CPU temps while playing e.g. Witcher 3 or BF1 for some hours is 62-65C. CPU temps while running the blend test of P95 for some hours is around 77-80C. Are these temps alright in a SFF build?

To add to the CPU temps, the voltage seems to also be set higher at stock than what is considered normal. While it's set at 1.2375V in F-Stream as well as in BIOS manually, HWiNFO64 shows otherwise if I'm not mistaking. From what I can gather from the readings, it sometimes spikes to 1.3V. Haven't done any OC on any components except for memory, which is set at 3066MHz with the XMP profile.

https://imgur.com/a/zXFnG

Last edited: