• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Comcast Users - February's Hack

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W
Did any of you receive an email about this or was it not serious enough to worry about?

Link here.

I knew about this close to when it happened and was waiting a bit to hear from Comcast, since I know any investigation would take at least some time. I'm also asking here to get some opinions about whether or not the Comcast should have batted an eye at this or at the very least sent an email to customers.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are worried... change your passwords.
I don't use them, so I would get no email for it.

Processor AMD 8350
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Night Night Hawk Edition
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws CL7
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 500gb + WD Black 5Tb
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 144Hz
Case White Corsair 500r
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i 860W
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
I'm a Comcast customer & this is the first I've heard of it.

System Name MSI GT77HX
Processor Intel i9-13980HX
Memory 64 GB DDR5 @ 4800 mhz
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX 4090 Mobile
Storage 2 TB 980 Pro
Display(s) 4K/144 Hz Mini-LED
Benchmark Scores 23,616 Timespy Graphics
I'd never use their email, or any ISP email. It's just bad practice IMO, since most ISP's delete your emails when you cancel your services with them. I've probably had 5+ ISP's since I created my gmail account in 2005.

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
If you are worried... change your passwords.
I don't use them, so I would get no email for it.

You didn't really say much here. Obviously if I'm concerned, I would change my passwords. I'm more concerned that the ISP didn't let the customers know. As far as "I don't use them, so I would get no email for it", do you realize that's like me saying "I don't own a Ferrari, so I don't drive one to work" ?

I'd never use their email, or any ISP email. It's just bad practice IMO, since most ISP's delete your emails when you cancel your services with them. I've probably had 5+ ISP's since I created my gmail account in 2005.

Regardless of what they do with the email, the password for the email is the password for the entire account. It's not about what they do with my email, it's about what could be done with it if the account were compromised.

It sounds like I'll just be giving them a call.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
You didn't really say much here. Obviously if I'm concerned, I would change my passwords. I'm more concerned that the ISP didn't let the customers know. As far as "I don't use them, so I would get no email for it", do you realize that's like me saying "I don't own a Ferrari, so I don't drive one to work" ?

Don't be so snippy... It is a shame that they did not let you know... I am stunned... Most don't tell about breaches or lapses in their security until weeks or months later, now-a-days.
I was just saying change your password and have done with it. No need to cry over spilled milk.
And, as for me not having a Ferrari ain't got cr*p to do with me not having Comcast. Piss poor analogy in this case.
I was just letting you know I would not have seen an email from them; 'cause I don't use them.

Did any of you receive an email about this or was it not serious enough to worry about?
You ask this question and I answered.

I knew about this close to when it happened and was waiting a bit to hear from Comcast, since I know any investigation would take at least some time. I'm also asking here to get some opinions about whether or not the Comcast should have batted an eye at this or at the very least sent an email to customers.

I answered this, too; by stating, I don't have them and would not get an email... so no opinion (concerning my first post).
However, I hope the answer above is suitable for you.

If you want certain answers to your threads; then, post a list of what you want and I'll pick from the list next time!

Last edited:
System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
Viper, I love you.

This is kinda bad on comcast's end for not notifing customers. But as was mentioned most people probably use a web base email provider anyway and not one of there isp.

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Don't be so snippy... It is a shame that they did not let you know... I am stunned... Most don't tell about breaches or lapses in their security until weeks or months later, now-a-days.
I was just saying change your password and have done with it. No need to cry over spilled milk.
And, as for me not having a Ferrari ain't got cr*p to do with me not having Comcast. Piss poor analogy in this case.
I was just letting you know I would not have seen an email from them; 'cause I don't use them.

Don't be so snippy? Seems like pot calling the kettle black. The fact of the matter is, what you posted was obvious. It's as simple as that. No, it wasn't a poor analogy, it's just apparently one you don't understand. You're focused too much on the "Ferrari" part instead of the entire analogy. You could put anything in there. How about a Ugo? The point is, it would be like me going into a thread here and saying, "I don't have a water block, so I wouldn't know what to do about your water block issue." It's just one of those things that you really don't need to let everyone know. It's essentially meaningless information. I wasn't being snippy, you inferred that from my language, but did so incorrectly; I was merely stating that you didn't say much. I probably should have stated in my original post that "I know the first thing I should do is change my password", especially given the number of breaches lately and the articles that cover them, and changing your password first being common practice. Nonetheless, I should have at least excluded that from "didn't say much", because some people might not know. I think it annoys me (and something I tend to interpret as demeaning) when people say I'm worried.

Unfortunately, this form of communication causes a lot of meaning to be lost, studies have found.

I answered this, too; by stating, I don't have them and would not get an email... so no opinion (concerning my first post).
However, I hope the answer above is suitable for you.

If you want certain answers to your threads; then, post a list of what you want and I'll pick from the list next time!

You don't need a list, you just need to consider how much your post is actually contributing. Like I said, it seems that people either don't know about it or really don't care, so I'll likely just end up talking to Comcast directly.

This is kinda bad on comcast's end for not notifing customers. But as was mentioned most people probably use a web base email provider anyway and not one of there isp.

It doesn't is a problem on Comcast's part. Again, it doesn't matter if people use a different, non-ISP-issued email. The problem here is that the password for the entire account is the password for the email; that means they have the ability to do whatever the account affords them, which may involve cancelling or adding services. I'm not 100% certain, but I am 100% certain that it isn't just email that is the issue. They have access to calls coming into the home, and speech-to-text messages that hit the answering machine, which may contain confidential information.

People are focusing way too much on the email side of things. At the same time, I don't know what was compromised, if account credentials were at all. Comcast never said anything and seemingly left customers (the ones who knew) in the dark, which was the point of the original post.

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow, still snippy I see.
Never said you were worried... read my post.
You were the one who asked was it serious enough to worry about.
You seem to not even know what you posted.

And, you quoted me saying saying I stated the obvious. Yep I did, glad you got the obvious.
Guess I shoulda just posted "No".
If, you don't like my post, to bad for you... because, I'll post 'til a mod says not to.

Do you feel like a kettle (black or any other color)?

Here is some more obvious info...
A lot of the other large companies (Verizon, AT&T, Hughes, etc, and including (obviously) Comcast) use SSO for their customers convenience.
I don't believe they will change it, unless the whole structure collapses or fails.

So, here is some (obvious) advice, change your password IF you are worried.

Last edited:
System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Wow, still snippy I see.
Never said you were worried... read my post.
You were the one who asked was it serious enough to worry about.
You seem to not even know what you posted.

And, you quoted me saying saying I stated the obvious. Yep I did, glad you got the obvious.
Guess I shoulda just posted "No".
If, you don't like my post, to bad for you... because, I'll post 'til a mod says not to.

Do you feel like a kettle (black or any other color)?

Here is some more obvious info...
A lot of the other large companies (Verizon, AT&T, Hughes, etc, and including (obviously) Comcast) use SSO for their customers convenience.
I don't believe they will change it, unless the whole structure collapses or fails.

So, here is some (obvious) advice, change your password IF you are worried.

Hahaha, wow...you're really serious?

OnePostWonder said:
I wasn't being snippy, you inferred that from my language, but did so incorrectly; I was merely stating that you didn't say much. I probably should have stated in my original post that "I know the first thing I should do is change my password", especially given the number of breaches lately and the articles that cover them, and changing your password first being common practice. Nonetheless, I should have at least excluded that from "didn't say much", because some people might not know. I think it annoys me (and something I tend to interpret as demeaning) when people say I'm worried.

Unfortunately, this form of communication causes a lot of meaning to be lost, studies have found.

Yeah, that's being snippy. After I just get done telling you I wasn't, and that a lot of meaning is lot in this form of communication so there is no way to interpret it accurately, you still say I'm being snippy. Not only that, but I conceded two points. You want me to be snippy? You're quite obviously unable to read and understand English. My, I really, really hope it isn't your first language.

HERE IT IS IN BIG BOLD LETTERS. I WAS NOT BEING "SNIPPY". That's another thing. "Snippy"? Are you a middle-aged woman?

Consider your explicit statement against what you've inferred from my post. You read what you wanted to and interpreted it how you wanted to. I hope for your sake, when people try and defuse an "issue" like I did here, you don't act like you have here in real life - one day it's going to backfire on you. You more than likely only act like this under the pseudo-anonymity the internet provides.

Anyway, thanks again for pointing out that people should change their passwords as a primary step.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, you are beyond snippy...

I wrote a long rebuttal to your post; then, I decided you are not worth it.
Enjoy life.
I have and will.

System Name PC
Processor i5 2500k
Cooling Fans
Memory DDR3-1600 (8GB)
Storage HD103SJ
Display(s) XG2402
Case Xigmatek Midgard II
Yep, you are beyond snippy...

I wrote a long rebuttal to your post; then, I decided you are not worth it.
Enjoy life.
I have and will.

Reap what you sow.