• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Commands on profile change

apeek

For years, I've executed a script to adjust other power/performance settings, such as the Windows power plan, by switching profiles in Throttlestop. That ability removed in version 9.5 conveniently allowed me to expand the customization offered by Throttlestop to include featuresets available only through other specific third party providers, like nvidia-smi. I don't doubt the functionality comes with a meaningful amount of risk, but I do consider it acceptable and readily managable, especially by your typical Throttlestop user. I wouldn't bring this up were I able to devise an acceptable alternative. In fact, unless the power profiles themselves become scriptable, a total solution whilst keeping Throttlestop seems otherwise unattainable. Please advise.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
No plans at the moment to bring that feature back. Being able to run other programs and automatically give them Admin privileges is a security risk.

You will have to use a previous ThrottleStop version that has this feature.

apeek

No plans at the moment to bring that feature back. Being able to run other programs and automatically give them Admin privileges is a security risk.

You will have to use a previous ThrottleStop version that has this feature.
Thanks for your prompt response. I've indeed been using version 9.4 knowing the prospect of reviving that feature was slim at best. I rather hoped its removal would prompt development of possible alternatives like an optional command line parameter defining the default profile. Throttlestop's level of sophistication is certainly befitting of such. However, I've since expanded my script to just kill throttlestop, swap out ini files, and relaunch it. I suppose it took putting my thoughts into words to envision such an absurdly simple, though less graceful, solution. As always, many thanks for your selflessness and hard work.