• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Completely Unable to Flash my Vega 56 w/ Samsung HBM2 to a Vega 64 BIOS

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I don't really see how I'm getting "hung up" on the 64 flashing thing...? I haven't touched AtiFlash since making the thread, and even though I would like the extra memory headroom - I'm not feeling great about losing an output.

Yes Please do not, that is the best Advice I can give at this rate.

khios

Just to complement the thread, I flashed the Vega 56 to a 64 bios and as @fullinfusion pointed I can't get back on the 56 stock bios. I've lost the use of the first display port, which is not a problem since I only use one screen on the gaming PC.
I would say the drawbacks are "acceptable" but if I knew those beforehand I would not have gone with it, the time it tooks me to find this thread and change my displayport cable was not worth the stress :D

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Just to complement the thread, I flashed the Vega 56 to a 64 bios and as @fullinfusion pointed I can't get back on the 56 stock bios. I've lost the use of the first display port, which is not a problem since I only use one screen on the gaming PC.
I would say the drawbacks are "acceptable" but if I knew those beforehand I would not have gone with it, the time it tooks me to find this thread and change my displayport cable was not worth the stress :D
Yup seen it time and time again on them cards... But from what I know them other cards are still working away despite not being able to flash back :rockout:

ver_21

The Samsung will do 1100MHz+...easily. With decent air cooling. 950MHz is seriously small potatoes.

I don't think you even need to flash it to get more memory voltage. Just do the SoftPowerPlay mod. Uncork the power limit and set the memory voltage to 1350mV. As a matter of fact...I'll do it for you.

PowerColor Red Dragon 56 SoftPowerPlayTable Mod

usPowerControlLimit = 300(%) <---+300% max power limit in OC software

Mem Clock 7 ucVddInd = 7 <---1200mV max for "memory" voltage in OC software

Mem Vdd 0 usVdd = 1350(mV) <---actual memory voltage

usSocketPowerLimit = 999(W) <---power limit in watts

usBatteryPowerLimit = 999(W) <---power limit in watts

usSmallPowerLimit = 999(W) <---power limit in watts

usTdcLimit = 999(A) <---power limit in amps

usEdcLimit = 999(A) <---power limit in amps

usSoftwareShutdownTemp = 95(°C) <---self-explanatory

usTemperatureLimitTEdge = 95(°C) <---95°C temp limit in OC software

Install that sucker(attached below) and see how it does. If it's not stable just use DDU to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them . The registry gets wiped when you do that, putting everything back how it was. Or if you want to tweak it yourself...

Downloads
Vega Soft Power Play Editor
Gtk# for .NET

More info here:
Preliminary view of AMD Vega Bios

Thanks for this tool. I used it with my stock bios PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56, and I have Samsung memory (confirmed by GPU-Z). Even with this SoftPowerPlay mod, I don't seem to be able able to get stable results better than this:

GPU
P7: 1667 MHz @ 1075 mV
P6: 1617 MHz @ 1025 mV

Memory
930 Mhz
950 mV

Power +100% (I have used it at +300%, and I don't see a performance difference, maybe a power draw difference?)

This performance is fine for me, about a 6% boost above the stock card I think, but I am thinking I lost the silicon lottery or something else is wrong/needs adjustment because I really can't get anywhere near 1100 MHz on the memory--these results aren't very much different than what Wattman can do with just +50%--the GPU performance might be a bit better than with regular Wattman.

I am running this along with a 2400G and DDR4 3200.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
On vega cards apparently less voltage you can get higher clocks

Typically power limits need to be increased and good cooling used so gpus stay in their power bands.

ver_21

On vega cards apparently less voltage you can get higher clocks

That's seems to be my experience.

I like this Vega 56 a lot, and the price point was good ($330 for mine), but I feel like the Wattman experience is contrived--like AMD and affiliates purposely ship the cards like 5% off of optimum so small-time tweakers can get an easy fix with Wattman.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
That's seems to be my experience.

I like this Vega 56 a lot, and the price point was good ($330 for mine), but I feel like the Wattman experience is contrived--like AMD and affiliates purposely ship the cards like 5% off of optimum so small-time tweakers can get an easy fix with Wattman.

Rushed releases these cards experienced.

Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard MSI X370 Titanium
Cooling Be Quite Dark Rock TF
Memory 16 GB Adata 3133Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5
Power Supply FSP 850G Hydro
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Green
As someone who's flashed their 56 to a 64, I feel like I agree with the advice here. A majority of the performance increase can be found in the powerplay table mods and undervolting. It's probably not worth the risk

Getting the voltage changes to work via the SoftPowerPlay mod isn't exactly easy. I know I kinda made it sound like it is. But there's a trick to it. You have to use WattMan, and do things in a specific and orderly way. But...I had to figure that out on my own. So...you'll have to too...:p It's in that thread I linked to. Hellm(or gupsterg? one of those guys) describes the process in fairly thorough detail. Though, in my experience, there's a bit of trial and error to it too. That and the fact that I only did it with the core voltage. So I really don't know for sure if it works with the "actual" memory voltage....or not. I have to presume it does. Since I can't see why it wouldn't. And the fact that I QUICKLY found out how ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS it was to do with the core voltage. Pretty much does nothing except make things worse. By that I mean...the more voltage you throw at it = the faster it heats up = the quicker it thermal throttles = the less any clock speed increase you try and apply actually increases the clock speeds = you'll be getting nowhere EVEN FASTER THAN BEFORE...YAY!!! :clap:

Bottom line: Unless you're using sub-ambient cooling(and even then, it better be LN2)...adding core voltage to Vega is a BAD IDEA!!! Trust me. Been there...done that. Not going there again anytime soon...

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Getting the voltage changes to work via the SoftPowerPlay mod isn't exactly easy. I know I kinda made it sound like it is. But there's a trick to it. You have to use WattMan, and do things in a specific and orderly way. But...I had to figure that out on my own. So...you'll have to too...:p It's in that thread I linked to. Hellm(or gupsterg? one of those guys) describes the process in fairly thorough detail. Though, in my experience, there's a bit of trial and error to it too. That and the fact that I only did it with the core voltage. So I really don't know for sure if it works with the "actual" memory voltage....or not. I have to presume it does. Since I can't see why it wouldn't. And the fact that I QUICKLY found out how ABSOLUTELY POINTLESS it was to do with the core voltage. Pretty much does nothing except make things worse. By that I mean...the more voltage you throw at it = the faster it heats up = the quicker it thermal throttles = the less any clock speed increase you try and apply actually increases the clock speeds = you'll be getting nowhere EVEN FASTER THAN BEFORE...YAY!!! :clap:

Bottom line: Unless you're using sub-ambient cooling(and even then, it better be LN2)...adding core voltage to Vega is a BAD IDEA!!! Trust me. Been there...done that. Not going there again anytime soon...

I'd say Nitro and Red Devil cards

Biff McFly

I am resurrecting this old thread to simply say thank you to MrGenius. This thread came up in my google search when I was troubleshooting my bios flash just like the OP originally was, and MrGenius's post led me to attempt the PT mod... It worked great. I have no need nor desire to flash the BIOS now, plus I feel better about how easy it is to return to stock.

Even if you cant help the OP, random people such as myself can be helped out with these kinds of posts. Thanks again.

System Name AMD™ Red Tiger
Processor AMD™ Ryzen™ 7 3800XT @ 4700mhz
Motherboard MSI™ X370 Gaming Carbon Pro
Cooling XSPC™ Raystorm™ dual XSPC D5 pumps 2x 360 EX radiators 6x Noctua™ NF-F12 Industrial™ 3000rpm
Memory Avexir™ Blitz™ 3200mhz 16.18 @ 3200mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire™ Radeon™ RX 7900XTX under Alphacool™ water block
Storage 1x Intel™ 660p 1TB 1x Seagate™ 2TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Electriq™ VM280UHD 4K 60hz
Case Cooler Master™ Cosmos™ Pure Black with 5x Coolermaster™ bladeMaster™
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI with Logitech™ X540 5.1
Power Supply EVGA™ 1000w G2
Mouse EasySMX™ 4000dpi Red led on MSI™ Lava Dragon giant mouse mat
Keyboard Rii™ K66 Red switch mechanical keyboard with red led
Software Windows™ 10 Home
Benchmark Scores 13000 3dMark™ Time spy.
I have vega 56 bios and 1697mhz with hbm stuck at 900mhz due to it being Hynix™.
OP can you run 3dmark timespy on it please?
steam has a free version with basic timespy and firestrike.

Last edited:

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I have vega 56 bios and 1697mhz with hbm stuck at 900mhz due to it being Hynix™.
OP can you run 3dmark timespy on it please?
steam has a free version with basic timespy and firestrike.
Didn't realize it was a Hynix problem.. so are you asking for help or other?

ECE_Professor

I finished flashing a MSI Vega 56 Airboost OC, 8 GB Samsung memory (I shared some details here: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/cant-flash-msi-vega-56-airboost-oc-bios.254250/) and it works good (temp higher but I need to adjust voltage etc.) with an 8.5% improvement and 15% increase in temp (So, I guess one can argue that you can get the same improvement via higher voltage). Then I saw the thread and noted the comment: "BIOS will work but you will also lose a DisplayPort ". Is this true for all Vega cards or the ones mentioned by the OP? Do you lose only one DisplayPort and the other two works? Does this problem still remain (the OP is some 8 months old)? I have not gone to the extend of testing all ports,I just use the HDMI now and may not come to that level for a long time.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Thanks for this tool. I used it with my stock bios PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56, and I have Samsung memory (confirmed by GPU-Z). Even with this SoftPowerPlay mod, I don't seem to be able able to get stable results better than this:

GPU
P7: 1667 MHz @ 1075 mV
P6: 1617 MHz @ 1025 mV

Memory
930 Mhz
950 mV

Power +100% (I have used it at +300%, and I don't see a performance difference, maybe a power draw difference?)

This performance is fine for me, about a 6% boost above the stock card I think, but I am thinking I lost the silicon lottery or something else is wrong/needs adjustment because I really can't get anywhere near 1100 MHz on the memory--these results aren't very much different than what Wattman can do with just +50%--the GPU performance might be a bit better than with regular Wattman.

I am running this along with a 2400G and DDR4 3200.
I will second that, good post, , can a post be copied to another thread?
Thinking the Vega club, I'll get the info into it but the post would better credit who it came from.

The Samsung will do 1100MHz+...easily. With decent air cooling. 950MHz is seriously small potatoes.

I don't think you even need to flash it to get more memory voltage. Just do the SoftPowerPlay mod. Uncork the power limit and set the memory voltage to 1350mV. As a matter of fact...I'll do it for you.

PowerColor Red Dragon 56 SoftPowerPlayTable Mod

usPowerControlLimit = 300(%) <---+300% max power limit in OC software

Mem Clock 7 ucVddInd = 7 <---1200mV max for "memory" voltage in OC software

Mem Vdd 0 usVdd = 1350(mV) <---actual memory voltage

usSocketPowerLimit = 999(W) <---power limit in watts

usBatteryPowerLimit = 999(W) <---power limit in watts

usSmallPowerLimit = 999(W) <---power limit in watts

usTdcLimit = 999(A) <---power limit in amps

usEdcLimit = 999(A) <---power limit in amps

usSoftwareShutdownTemp = 95(°C) <---self-explanatory

usTemperatureLimitTEdge = 95(°C) <---95°C temp limit in OC software

Install that sucker(attached below) and see how it does. If it's not stable just use DDU to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them . The registry gets wiped when you do that, putting everything back how it was. Or if you want to tweak it yourself...

Downloads
Vega Soft Power Play Editor
Gtk# for .NET

More info here:
Preliminary view of AMD Vega Bios
Sorry meant this post doh, I just woke up.