• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer freezing randomly

Rattlehead.

Hello,

I recently purchased a pre-build pc. I installed windows, updated all the drivers for motherboard, windows, graphics card etc. and was hoping to start gaming until this happened. My pc just rebooted itself for no reason, then the monitor started refreshing and later on, when I fixed the monitor rebooting problem, games and even casual work stuff on PC started freezing. I can't do anything beside pressing reboot button and restarting the PC. Was thinking just to return the PC to the shop but I bought it in other country and took it to the place I live so it's not as easy to deliver... Here are my specs:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1500X, Quad Core, 3.50GHz
MB - MSI B450 GAMING PLUS
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB DDR4 2400MHz
SSD - Crucial BX500 240GB
VGA - Asus Radeon ROG Strix 580 Gaming 8GB
PSU - CASE PSU ATX 2.3 600W/XN053

Thank you in advance.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
That PSU is the weakest link to me, is that a bundled cheapo no name PSU that comes with a $30 case?

Even a $30 Antec 430w/Corsair 450w would be a better option than that current PSU

Rattlehead.

Case is master box mb600L. They told me in the store that they build the computer for different components, and tested it before selling. Clearly they didn't do that.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Case is master box mb600L. They told me in the store that they build the computer for different components, and tested it before selling. Clearly they didn't do that.
Meh it's 480w (probably closer to 400w in real terms) on a 600w sticker PSU, though that in "theory" should be enough to pwer your system I wouldn't really trust it as far as I could throw it, have you entered the bios before the computer boots into Windows and set it to default values?

Meh it's 480w (probably closer to 400w in real terms) on a 600w sticker PSU, though that in "theory" should be enough to pwer your system I wouldn't really trust it as far as I could throw it, have you entered the bios before the computer boots into Windows and set it to default values?
That PSU doesn't correspond to the case, and is a Xilence model, I struggle to figure out why CoolerMaster who have their own brand PSU's under different OEM's would bundle a cheap PSU with a CM case that isn't of CM brand, unless I'm mistaken?

The inner geek in me is screaming PSU, in theory it should be ok although it's far from ideal, BUT it should be able to power your system. Nothing else is jumping out at me, have you reinstalled Windows as that can cause similar issues and rule out a HW problem?

btw ATX 2.3 was written in 2007 and has no basis on power requirements for a modern multi-CPU/GPU system in 2019

Rattlehead.

That PSU doesn't correspond to the case, and is a Xilence model, I struggle to figure out why CoolerMaster who have their own brand PSU's under different OEM's would bundle a cheap PSU with a CM case that isn't of CM brand, unless I'm mistaken?

The inner geek in me is screaming PSU, in theory it should be ok although it's far from ideal, BUT it should be able to power your system. Nothing else is jumping out at me, have you reinstalled Windows as that can cause similar issues and rule out a HW problem?

btw ATX 2.3 was written in 2007 and has no basis on power requirements for a modern multi-CPU/GPU system in 2019

The case manufacturers didn't put that power supply, it was done by the store. I checked different graphics card I get the same result. Going to re-install windows, if the same issue appears I'll just take it to tech support store or smth...

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
Get a better, brand name PSU of around 550W minimum, preferably single rail with high Amperage on the 12v RAIL.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
How do I know for sure if it's PSU problem?
Can you get your hands on a power meter to check your systems power consumption at the wall?
Total power draw may exceed (under load) that which the PSU is capable of.
Your current PSU has power spread across 3.3, 5 and 12V rails which decreases that available where it is truly needed.

Rattlehead.

Can you get your hands on a power meter to check your systems power consumption at the wall?
Total power draw may exceed (under load) that which the PSU is capable of.
Your current PSU has power spread across 3.3, 5 and 12V rails which decreases that available where it is truly needed.

I don't think I can find one unless to buy it ofc. Is there any software program that can check the power consumption?

1. Recently purchased are the key words, it doesn't work, bring it back. If they give ya a hard time call ya credit card company, better business bureau, state consumer affairs.

2. Pre-builts are supposed to come with OS pre-installed.

Rattlehead.

1. Recently purchased are the key words, it doesn't work, bring it back. If they give ya a hard time call ya credit card company, better business bureau, state consumer affairs.

2. Pre-builts are supposed to come with OS pre-installed.

I can't bring it back, told you in the first place. Bought it in a different country, it's gonna cost me so much money to fly back n forth, plus time...

System Name My PC
Processor 4670K@4.4GHz
Motherboard Gryphon Z87
Cooling CM 212
Memory 2x8GB+2x4GB @2400GHz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 1425MHz OC+, 8GB
Storage Intel 530 SSD 480GB + Intel 510 SSD 120GB + 2x500GB hdd raid 1
Display(s) HP envy 32 1440p
Case CM Mastercase 5
Audio Device(s) Sbz ZXR
Power Supply Antec 620W
Mouse G502
Keyboard G910
Software Win 10 pro
Send it to PC repair shop if you have one near and that's it.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390-A
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition PWM
Memory G.Skill DDR4 RipjawsV 3200MHz 16GB kit
Video Card(s) Asus RTX2060 ROG STRIX GAMING
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500
Power Supply SUPER FLOWER Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse BenQ Zowie FK1+-B
Keyboard Cherry KC 1000
Software Win 10
Sounds like faulty RAM to me

System Name Dumbass
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF gaming B650
Cooling Artic Liquid Freezer 2 - 420mm
Memory G.Skill Sniper 32gb DDR5 6000
Video Card(s) GreenTeam 4070 ti super 16gb
Storage Samsung EVO 500gb & 1Tb, 2tb HDD, 500gb WD Black
Display(s) 1x Nixeus NX_EDG27, 2x Dell S2440L (16:9)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/8 140mm SP Fans
Audio Device(s) onboard (realtek?) - SPKRS:Logitech Z623 200w 2.1
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Steeseries Esports Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K100
Software windows 10 H
Benchmark Scores https://i.imgur.com/aoz3vWY.jpg?2
there are a few things you can do here. ( in any order)
1. run the memtest from the bios. while in the bios have a look at temps for a 5-10 minutes.
2. inspect for loose connectors and re-seat memory
3. take the side panel off and point a fan into it. this will help if something is over heating.

also, check that memory vs QVL list for that motherbaord.

I can't bring it back, told you in the first place. Bought it in a different country, it's gonna cost me so much money to fly back n forth, plus time...

1. No. you actually said "it's not as easy to deliver " which implied such was with the realm of possibility .... perhaps some place you travel to every couple of months. Not sure why it couldn't mailed back but of course, that will costs ya. Aslo doubtful if CC comany will enforce consumer laws across borders. But leaving the store, let alone the country before it was working is probably leaves you exposed to being taken advantage of.

2. "They told me in the store that they build the computer for different components, and tested it before selling. Clearly they didn't do that. "

If they built it for different components, then the very well could have tested it. However, once you change those components, don't expect it to work. When it would start to boot, it would be **confused** because it is detecting the new different components and can't find the old original components. Did you format the disk before reinstalling Windows ?

3. Have you gone int the BIOS and made sure that all of the components have recognized in the BIOS ? Are the settings in the BIOS correct for your hardware ?

4. Looks like you have either 1 stick of 8 GB or 2 x 4 GB... 2 x 4Gb is a bit weak in 2019 ... 1 stick in a dual channel MoBo defeats the purpose of dual channel memory bus. Always buy RAM in pairs for dual channel with both sticks in same package ... 1 now and 1 later leaves you exposed ... no guarantee they will work together.

5. What slot is the RAM in ?

1 stick = DIMMA2
2 sticks = DIMMA2 and DIMMB2

See pages 4 and 26 of your manual

6. Have to set all BIOS settings to default (press F6 after entering BIOS)

7. Have you checked all the installation of components of the manual page by page and insured that you did all correctly ?

a) Is GFX card in correct slot ? (PCI_E1)
b) Is the 8 pin EPS power cable plugged in from your CPU ? (Upper left)
c) IS the CPU fan plugged in (just left of RAM) slots near top ?

8. Gone thru the troubleshooting procedure on page 100 of your MoBo manual ?

9. Is SSD plugged into lowest numbered SATA port ? There are 6 ports a group of 2 and a group of 4 ... the group of 2 is the one you want, data cable goes in one closest to MoBo (bottom)

10. Have you removed and reinserted all cables ?

11. Are any of the 4 debug LEDs lit ? See page 37 of your manual

CPU LED - indicates CPU is not detected or fail.
DRAM LED - indicates DRAM is not detected or fail.
VGA LED - indicates GPU is not detected or fail.
BOOT LED - indicates the booting device is not detected or fail.

12. Have you Cleared CMOS ... see page 36 of your manual.

13. Gone thru all the pages of your manual for BIOS settings and compared with what you see on screen ?