• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer keeps restarting after installing new motherboard

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Guys using Win7
PLEASE STOP TELLING THIS GUY TO RE-INSTALL WINDOWS 8. There is no need to re install this OS IS A ONE TIME INSTALL.Changing the motherboard will only give him a new activation which he already said he did over phone,Which means Win8 already loaded the drivers to boot.When you change hardware with Win8 it auto goes into a clean refresh state which loads the drivers ,If anyone has ever used Win8 in the advance options on the F4 key you guys will know what i am talking about.His programs and user files will be there ,Just WIn8 will delete all the old drivers and re install the new ones ,And I bet he says YES IT TOOK ABOUT 5mins to load WIN8 when i first booted it up with new Motherboard........

As for the original posters question ,I briefly read that it could the ssd,And you are wondering if you put the OS on the 1 TB drive ,Yes and maybe no... do you have something like Drive Image software that came with the SSD?You could use that to make a small enough boot partition on the 1 TB and copy the OS to it.OR do you have an old sata drive you could copy o the ssd to and keep the 1tb in tact?

PS

XBOX One para phrase and name means something that you lot seem to be ignorant to why it is called ONE
ONE OS WIN8
ONE CELL PHONE
ONE TIME INSTALL ......
ONE MS USER ACCOUNT (XBOX LIVE ECT.....)

Getting the hint that if all these have ONE OS being win8 you control all AS ONE?

Last edited:

sazkion

System Name Desktop
Processor AMD 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling ZALMAN CPU Cooler Blue LED
Memory 2 x CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870
Storage OCZ 120GB SATA III
Display(s) 2 x LG 23" LCD Monitor W2353VP Model GH22LS30
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper (SGC-5000-KKN1)
Power Supply CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W
Guys using Win7
PLEASE STOP TELLING THIS GUY TO RE-INSTALL WINDOWS 8. There is no need to re install this OS IS A ONE TIME INSTALL.Changing the motherboard will only give him a new activation which he already said he did over phone,Which means Win8 already loaded the drivers to boot.When you change hardware with Win8 it auto goes into a clean refresh state which loads the drivers ,If anyone has ever used Win8 in the advance options on the F4 key you guys will know what i am talking about.His programs and user files will be there ,Just WIn8 will delete all the old drivers and re install the new ones ,And I bet he says YES IT TOOK ABOUT 5mins to load WIN8 when i first booted it up with new Motherboard........

As for the original posters question ,I briefly read that it could the ssd,And you are wondering if you put the OS on the 1 TB drive ,Yes and maybe no... do you have something like Drive Image software that came with the SSD?You could use that to make a small enough boot partition on the 1 TB and copy the OS to it.OR do you have an old sata drive you could copy o the ssd to and keep the 1tb in tact?

PS

XBOX One para phrase and name means something that you lot seem to be ignorant to why it is called ONE
ONE OS WIN8
ONE PHONE
ONE TIME INSTALL ......

Is this something that can be done using the command prompt on the repair disk? I don't have any way to boot into windows right now. I had windows on my SSD drive and my other 3 drives only had files. I could probably plug in a old hard drive and install XP on it and then use that to copy files from my 1TB to my other ones

Last edited:

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Dang, I just bought it around 6 months ago. Is it possible to install Windows on an existing drive without removing any files on it? I have a 1TB that I could use but it has all of my game saves on it

you can take the hdd to a friends comp and transfer game saves.

else you can use a bootable linux version like fedora to boot from a usb pendrive and use another pendrive to backup.

System Name Halloween Boo!
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77-Up7
Cooling Custom Water/ Thermalchill TA 120.3/ Swiftech Apogeee XT/ MCP655/ Swiftech M icrores/ XSPC RX 240
Memory 16G G.Skill trident 2400MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x Radeon 7970
Storage OCZ Revo Drive 240G
Display(s) 24 inch Viewsonic
Case Phobia WayCoolIt Test Bench
Power Supply Nexus 1100 watt
did you replace the thermal paste?

I had these symptoms once, thought it was the drive and it was a bad sata cable. OP try replacing sata cables.

System Name Main Pc | Xeon rig
Processor Intel Core i5-4670 @3.6Ghz | Intel Xeon X5675 @stock
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 | Sabertooth X58
Cooling Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB Crucial OC @ 2133mhz | 12 GB Various
Video Card(s) MSI RX480 | MSI R7970 TF III 3GD5 OC BE (Bios mod 1081 mV)
Storage 120GB Samsung Evo\ 4TB WD HDD | 120GB Samsung Evo
Case NZXT H440 | Fractal Design Define R5
Power Supply Seasonic 650 Watt| Nexus 450
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows Server 2016 Datacenter x64
you can, then you start up the install, when you are at the partition screen, dont do anything to modifiy it, only select next, and all the old windows files from the previous installations will be at C:\windows.old. then you can copy your savegames from the windows.old folder, and you're good to go.

Some people say never to format a ssd, I dont have experience with formatting them, because
sometimes im a little paranoid when it comes to drive safety. you can just delete the partitions next time when you install something on your ssd.

sazkion

System Name Desktop
you can take the hdd to a friends comp and transfer game saves.

else you can use a bootable linux version like fedora to boot from a usb pendrive and use another pendrive to backup.

Most of my friends play on laptops so I wouldn't be able to use that, I'll try the bootable linux version though. I believe I still have one of them. I'll try that when I get home from work today.

I had these symptoms once, thought it was the drive and it was a bad sata cable. OP try replacing sata cables.

I have a couple of new ones that I'll switch it out with. Would you recommend only the SSD at first and then the DVD if the problem persists?

you can, then you start up the install, when you are at the partition screen, dont do anything to modifiy it, only select next, and all the old windows files from the previous installations will be at C:\windows.old. then you can copy your savegames from the windows.old folder, and you're good to go.

Some people say never to format a ssd, I dont have experience with formatting them, because
sometimes im a little paranoid when it comes to drive safety. you can just delete the partitions next time when you install something on your ssd.

I remember that it'll copy old windows files to the windows.old folder, but this hard drive only has files on it as well as some programs that were installed. I don't believe it even has a Windows folder. Will it still copy everything on it to the windows.old? I believe the hard drive has the MDR format instead of the GPT so it won't let me install Windows 8 on it without changing it first. Can I convert it without losing data since I'll be doing in before anything boots?

I looked around on google and it appears that formating a SSD isn't a bad thing, I'm hoping this is the case.

as far as i know windows is mdr (it could be changed with win8). if you dont change it, it will put the windows folder next to the folders you already have.

sazkion

System Name Desktop
as far as i know windows is mdr (it could be changed with win8). if you dont change it, it will put the windows folder next to the folders you already have.

When I went to install Windows 8 two days ago I encountered the issue where it wouldn't let me install on any drives that were mdr, I'm guessing they were mdr when I had Windows 7 and then it didn't make a difference when I upgraded to Windows 8. The installer doesn't like the mdr drives, it won't let me select the drive to install Windows on. Do you know if converting it would cause memory loss? It doesn't seem like it does but this drive has some of my old backup files and I don't want to lose them.

No, You will lose files, as you need to format it first to actually change it to gpt. but all the installations i have are mdr.

sazkion

System Name Desktop
The issue was my motherboard. I plugged in my old one and everything worked fine. Pretty annoying, but at least everything works.

Thanks for everyone's help.