• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer problem - pc not booting

newguy24

Processor Intel Core i7-950 3.07ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte X58-usb3
Cooling Hyper 212 plus
Memory 12gb 6x2GB geil
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 1tb samsung spinpoint
Display(s) LG e2350 monitor
Case Lancool PC-k62
Power Supply Corsair HX850watt
Software Windows 7
just built this system...now this...when i powered on my system it loaded up like normal...went to loading windows screen(win 7) and then flashed a white line in top left when away then flashed it a couple more times in top left...then just had a blank screen and did nothing....i rebooted it and it stays at a blank screen...no mobo flash screen...no loading screen no nothing just my monitor like flashes on an off....so i turned it off for the night and got the same results... wont let me enter safe mode or anything....please tell me my HDD isnt fried and if it is can i get the stuff off it?? anyway to fix this...i did try to boot from a CD when it DID let me pick the F12 options...but got nothing went to reinstalling windows and all the good stuff....eeeeerrrrr anyhelp would be helpful...im at work for 16hrs, and this problem just happen havent been able to mess around with it that much... any ideas would be very helpful

bokou

System Name The Beast 2
Processor AMD Phenom II 965 OC'd: 3.9ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G-Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 6970
Storage WDl 7200rpm 500gb
Display(s) Acer 21" LCD, Westinghouse 21" LCD
Case Coolermaster HAF932
Audio Device(s) On-board 7.1 SupremeFX
Power Supply Xion 800w Modular
Software Windows 7, Steam, BFBC2, TF2, Adobe CS5
Benchmark Scores 20k+ on 3dMark06, will have to look at exact number
so wait the only thing you can't get into is Windows correct? You do indeed see the Windows loading screen?

It worked for a short time and now it won't boot into Windows?

You're able to enter the bios correct?

You can try putting in your Windows CD again and booting from it and then trying to repair the installation and see if it finds anything wrong with it.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
does it beep? beep means theres something not right, or may err
and check all the cables and connection too

I am making no assumptions about your knowledge about computers, given the little information that has been provided. Please provide the following information so we can help you:

1) Do you have a system speaker? It is usually a small black cylinder attached to the motherboard. Look up the information in the motherboard book and make sure it is attached properly.
2) Does the system speaker make any beeps on start-up? Micropage7 has the right start, but missed the fact that beep patterns can help identify issues.
3) With all the SATA drives disconnected, does the system boot to post and the splash screen? If you don't get the splash screen and post beeps you're looking at motherboard or psu problems.
4) Assuming that the board posts and gets to splash, do you have the bios setting correct? Sometimes parts do not detect correctly, and an improper bios setting can be a killer problem.
5) Assuming that the board does not get to splash, does the psu work? Disconnect it from everything, unplug it from the wall, and and let it sit for several minutes so the capacitors discharge. Jumper the green and black (any of the black, and there should only be one green) wires on the main power connector (largest block off the psu). If the psu fires up measure the voltages on the molex connectors. If you don't get the right voltages (search wikipedia for "molex connector"), your psu is slagged. If the voltages are correct prepare for a mother board replacement.

These are general solutions that you should try. If you gave us more we could offer more help. As it stands now, there are only basic checks that can be recommended. We are quite a distance away from isolating the HDD as the source of the error.

Last edited:

newguy24

Cooling Hyper 212 plus
Memory 12gb 6x2GB geil
Video Card(s) HD6870
Case Lancool PC-k62
Software Windows 7
still at work but maybe i can shine some light on it with alittle more info...

the pc has worked fine for 4 months or so...
the system does not nor did it ever beep, that i know off, it just had the typical windows noise from the SPEAKERS while booting...

what it does now is...

if i where to go and power it on right now, it would show the splash screen and show the windows splash screen and then have a white line in top left corner of screen flash about 5 times...goes away then flash again...then go away leaving screen black..

....IF

I reboot it after that inistal boot...it then just shows a black screen with no splash screens at all...none for mobo and none for windows... after i let "cool down" it seems it will then show a splash screen for mobo and windows....

but it doesnt get hot at all just using cool down as a phrase...so with this said idk what ells to do...when i push boot (f12) it lets me choose options...when i pushf8 (had my girl do ti over the phone) it says something along the lines with two options, not your normal f8 commands..safe mode ..networking...ext ext... the two choses are something like this

1--boot up failed.. resume boot up
2--partion disk space "something something"

like i said i need more details for you guys but figured since im sitting here working id ask you guys... sorry for the lack of details any help would be great

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
boot failed. must be err on hardware, check your bios first and check is everything recognized?
check the chip too is that warm or cold, warm is good but hot is not good
if you can enter bios try to load default setting or if you too lazy just snap out the bios battery for a while and snap in again
try release the board off the case and check the board is there any strange
if it needs time before it could on i guess check your psu too

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Is this the system in your system specs?

Be specific.

Does it post?
You mention a splash screen. MB Splash screen? Hit tab go to bios (Del) (F2) Does that load?

Windows 7 gives you an option if you have a failed boot. System recovery. Does that start up?

newguy24

Cooling Hyper 212 plus
Memory 12gb 6x2GB geil
Video Card(s) HD6870
Case Lancool PC-k62
Software Windows 7
yes its in my specs....ill try to take battery out... it does have the MB splash screen as stated above... windows 7 doesnt give me an option like i said havent been able to mess with it..it states what i put above...ill have more infor soon, just wondering if its a type of problem that can be spoted right away lol LMK if ya need anything ells...