• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer Restart instead of changing screen orientation

Spookie

Has anyone seen a computer before that restarts when ctrl+alt+any arrow key is used?

The problem is occurring on one of my coworkers computer, I've done everything I could think of to remedy the problem. Is there something else I can do? The graphics card and monitor support that key combination to move the screen orientation around. Instead the computer restarts. Virus Scan has been run as well as Ad-aware and Spybot, all came up with nothing. I checked the graphics card and monitor drivers, they are properly installed and up to date. I've never seen this before.

Thank you.

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
Could you tell us which graphics card it is using? Also have you tried removing the drivers with driver cleaner and then installing them again (if supported)? It sounds like you are using the intel graphics but I haven't heard of something like this before. By restart I assume you mean it goes straight to POST rather than doing a controlled shutdown first.

Spookie

You are correct it does not do a controlled shut down. The graphics card is integrated into the mother board; specifically it is an Intel 82915G/GV/910GI. I'll take your suggestion and uninstall the graphics card, if possible and get back to you.

Thank you for all of your help.

Reinstall graphics driver or disable the ability to rotate your Desktop. Ctrl+alt+arrow is used to rotate the screen on Intel cards. However this feature is rather pointless 99+% of the time.

Rotation can be found between the graphics options.

Spookie

Thanks. I'll have to get back to you on how it works. The person with the computer problem is unavailable to unlock his office. :banghead: