• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer system transcribes words users “speak silently”

Processor 2500K @ 4.5GHz 1.28V
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Corsair A70
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600 9-9-9-24 1T
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 470
Storage Crucial m4 128GB + Seagate RAID 1 (1TB x 2)
Display(s) Dell 22" 1680x1050 nothing special
Case Antec 300
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W
Software Windows 7 64bit Pro
How scary / invasive is this and / or how lazy have we become....? I believe civility is based on the things we don't say; imagine if everyone heard what I think about them while I'm driving?? Now add the unsaid things in public when trying to pass a large group on the sidewalk who makes you step around them on the grass rather than making room and sharing the pavement (or any number of other "issues" that we just let slide since it's not that big of a deal but the sentiment is still there).

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/06/mit-wearable-silent-words/

However, I believe this is still different than thoughts being read and turned into speech but don't let that lead you to a false sense of security that we're not trying to bridge that gap as well: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...evice-reads-your-mind-and-types-your-thoughts

As with anything, I'm sure there are good uses and bad ones. I'd just rather not loose my last line of defense / filter that keeps me from being a raging asshole.

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel Xeon E3-1260L v5
Motherboard MSI E3 KRAIT Gaming v5
Cooling Tt tower + 120mm Tt fan
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3600 C18
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 970 Mini
Storage Kingston A2000 512Gb NVME
Display(s) AOC 24" Freesync 1m.s. 75Hz
Case Corsair 450D High Air Flow.
Audio Device(s) No need.
Power Supply FSP Aurum 650W
Mouse Yes
Keyboard Of course
Software W10 Pro 64 bit
The solution is to openly say what you are thinking, like I do, no filter.
If people are blocking the sidewalk just because they want to chat, tell them to move over, if some driver is being an idiot on the road ( the majority) tell them.