• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer turns on but does not boot

aingeal73

Hi, I have run into a huge problem. I walked away from the computer for about a half an hour, and when I came back, the light on the monitor was orange and the screen was black, like what happens during inactivity to save power. Only it wouldn't turn back on after shaking the mouse. So I restarted the computer and it's still acting like there's no activity. When I turn the computer on I see that it's turning on but it's not making any of the noises it usually does when it starts up.

I have not taken this computer apart EVER, have not modified its contents or any of that. I have an external drive but I've had it for almost 6 months and there's been no problems. I didn't change anything prior to this happening.

Is there anything I can do?

It's a 2002 Compaq Presario with a ridiculously slow processor and RAM, if you need that info...I know it's really old and slow but I've been trying to save up for a new one.

aingeal73

It won't start at all...like the monitor is not recognizing that I'm turning the computer on. So there's no way for me to start it in safe mode

I believe his problem is he can't see nothing on the screen during boot-up, even after boot he gets blank screen. This has happen to me alot on a HP monitor. There power saving settings are all out of wack, trying turning the power saving settings off.

aingeal73

I am a girl but thank you Cracker Jack lol how do I turn the power saving settings off?

I am a girl but thank you Cracker Jack lol how do I turn the power saving settings off?

you should have a menu button on the monitor. push that, then you should see a bunch of options. find power saver/and or power settings. It should give you the option to turn off or some just say sleep mode. Turn that off to

what model is the monitor, should be on the front or back of the monitor

aingeal73

Hi, I actually just turned it off and left it off for three days. For whatever reason it's working now. In the meantime I bought a new computer. Thanks for the help!