• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

computer won't boot up

computerhelp101

First of all im sorrry if this is in the wrong section. Ok well recently my computer's power supply went out, and by went out i mean shot sparks and started smoking. So I ran over and pulled the power cord and could smell the power supply burning. I removed the power supply and tried another one in the computer and now when i hit the power button all i hear is a very quite noise its hard to explain but its like a "zing" or something like that. I'm worried that when the power supply went out it may have fried the mobo or something else in the computer any help is greatly appriciated, thanks.

System Name Zen2600
Processor Ryzen 2600
Motherboard MSI B450-A Pro MAX
Cooling Captain120EX
Memory 2x8 GB Patriot Viper Steel 360000 @3400MHz [18-19-19-39-80] DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro+ @stock
Storage WD Black 500GB NVME
Display(s) LG 32GK850F
Case NZXT H440 EnvyUS
Audio Device(s) Custom HP AMP + Sennheiser HD380
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 650w
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard ElE Game1
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Welcome to the TPU! Post your Pc's specifications please ,it is hard to help you without them.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
VERY UNFORTUNATE!
Well 1st thing after listing system specs would be to remove hard-drives and any add on hardware from the mobo ...Disconnet everything except processor and one stick of ram and the video card if you have onboard then see if you can get it to post to the bios...then start adding things back from there..like the harddrive with the OS then test again...see if post ...IF yes then..... Try to boot in to the OS...Then if good ...Start adding back the rest and test as you go ...chances are that the PSU may have damaged something when it went out...OR that something in your config is so badly malfunctioned that it took out the PSU (unlickley)...

A CMOS reset probably would be bennificial as well ...taking in to account any arrays if you have any after the reset to rebuild them.

computerhelp101

as far as spec are concerned im not possitively sure because we built this computer a few years ago. I have removed everything from the mobo and installed a working power supply and when i push the power button all i hear is a very quite noise and the computer doesn't do anything no fans or anything turn on.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
put the board off the case then remove all that connected to the board
then visually check the board, if it get burned there will be trace like burned trace, smell fried, melt or something, check the area near ATX power or it will randomly so it could be on the front or the back or your board
if thats OK connect the PSU to the board without RAM, then turn it on, if theres no beep it could be any problem with the board
i hope works :D

computerhelp101

i removed the mobo from the case and while i was at it checked it over for any fried spots, it all looked good so i tried running it on a peice of cardboard and still no luck. Howerver i noticed while removing the screws on the mobo that the plugs from the case were disconnected. I have not a clue as to how those got disconnected but I no longer have the instruction booklet that came with the mobo so im not sure where they plug in. That makes since why its not doing anything when i press the power button because the power button isn't plugged in

robn

Processor i7 920 @ 3520MHz locked on 1.04V, all features on
Motherboard Biostar T-Power x58 + ASUS U3S6 + Broadcom WiFi
Cooling Akasa Nero S on the i7 + 2 Akasa Apache case fans
Memory 24Gig Kingston HyperX DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX GTX260 216 XT
Storage 240Gig SanDisk SSD, 750Gig Spinpoint F1
Display(s) BenQ E2200HD
Case Coolermaster Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Realtek(!) with M-Audio AV40 + Wharfedale SW150
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650
Software Win7 64 Pro / Fedora KDE
Benchmark Scores wPrime 32M 7.265sec - 3DMark2001 57673 - Intel Linpack 50.6237 GFlops
Don't worry too much google for any model numbers you can see written on the mobo, and a manual should turn up on the manufacturer's website.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
I will try that and ill let you guys know what I find out

If you are having trouble, post a picture of the mobo. Try and do a good quality shot so we can zoom in and find details.

computerhelp101

I was able to find/download the booklet and figured out the pin layout for the case plugs. I made sure those were correct and am still not getting anything from the mobo. I don't know if this is relevant or not but the ethernet port has a light on when I plug the computer in so i know the mobo is getting power it just won't turn on

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
I was able to find/download the booklet and figured out the pin layout for the case plugs. I made sure those were correct and am still not getting anything from the mobo. I don't know if this is relevant or not but the ethernet port has a light on when I plug the computer in so i know the mobo is getting power it just won't turn on

if you look at the pin closely there will be a mark power, reset, HDD etc, if it doesnt clear you can try short them with pen (carefully)
if the ethernet light is on, it means the power from PSU is in, then the last is recheck the board
:ohwell:

computerhelp101

I haven't tried shorting the pins directly, but I did try putting the mob in another case incase it was a problem with the case and that didn't resolve anything