• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer won't turn on

Krafter

Hey guys...

For some reason my computer suddenly won't turn on. It was fine last night while I was on it, then shut it down. Went to boot up this morning and it just won't go. First it beeps like normal, fans sound like there working, then a few seconds later it beeps like 3 more times then just freezes.

After the first time, it started turning on straight away when turned on by the wall. The whole time it just stays at a blank black screen.

I'm not sure if I may have bumped something, but earlier yesterday I reinstalled my wireless card (because I was having problems), and it was going fine, wireless finally going well.

So... any ideas guys? :p .

Krafter

I'm not too good at this kind of stuff, I'm not sure what bios it is, just default I guess.

Last edited:

Jonnycat

Look at the sticker on your BIOS chip.

Find the manufacturer (AMI, AWARD, et cetera)

Look up the POST code.

Krafter

OK, wow I'm not sure what just happened. About the 50th time trying to turn it on, it finally booted up fine to desktop...

panchoman

Sold my stars!
Processor Amd Athlon X2 4600+ Windsor(90nm) EE(65W) @2.9-3.0 @1.45
Motherboard Biostar Tforce [Nvidia] 550
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb-- bunch of other fans here and there....
Memory 2 gigs (2x1gb) of patriot ddr2 800 @ 4-4-4-12-2t
Video Card(s) Sapphire X1950pro Pci-E x16 @stock@stock on stock
Storage Seagate 7200.11 250gb Drive, WD raptors (30/40) in Raid 0
Display(s) ANCIENT 15" sony lcd, bought it when it was like 500 bucks
Case Apevia X-plorer blue/black
Audio Device(s) Onboard- Why get an sound card when you can hum??
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 550-manufactured by seasonic -replacement to the discontinued smart power series
Software Windows XP pro SP2 -- vista is still crap
look up the beeps in your mobo's handbook, like everybody said so, the beeps been something's wrong, and if we can locate what's wrong, it'll help. did you try clearing the cmos?

correct way to clear the cmos:

unplug the power cord from your comp, hit the power button to drain your psu, put the cmos jumper to its clear cmos setting for 10 seconds, replace the jumper to where it should be. try that, it should correct the problem hopefully..

Krafter

OK well it happened again today...It seems that when I hit the power button when it's off (draining PSU?) it seems to boot up fine, so I'm able to go on it atm. I didn't get a mobo manual with the computer, and it seems ASUS doesn't have my mobo on their list on their website...

But having a look at the HP website (Compaq Presario S3270AN), it says in FAQs that something may be loose. I had a look to see if anything was loose inside but it all seems fine.

kwchang007

Processor C2D T7200@2 ghz vcore: .9875
Motherboard generic laptop board
Cooling fan control and antec notebook cooler
Memory 2 GBs@ 533 mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) x1400 mobile, overclocked: 526mhz core/ 882mhz ddr
Storage 120 GB@ 5400 rpm fujitsu
Display(s) 15.4" 1440x900
Audio Device(s) integrated
Software vista 32 bit home premium
OK well it happened again today...It seems that when I hit the power button when it's off (draining PSU?) it seems to boot up fine, so I'm able to go on it atm. I didn't get a mobo manual with the computer, and it seems ASUS doesn't have my mobo on their list on their website...

But having a look at the HP website (Compaq Presario S3270AN), it says in FAQs that something may be loose. I had a look to see if anything was loose inside but it all seems fine.

Something's wrong in the bios, check it out.

EDIT: ^ is a little confusing. What I meant to say is that some settings are wrong. When you hold the power button it clears cmos and changes all settings to default. Go into your mobo and manually change all settings to default.

Krafter

Oh OK, thanks I'll check that out soon, just one thing though...Why would it just start happening now? And I would think everything would already be default because I haven't changed any settings in there.

System Name AM5
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Taichi
Cooling EK AIO Basic 360
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 64 Gb - XMP1 Profile
Video Card(s) AMD Reference 7900 XTX 24 Gb
Storage Samsung Gen 4 980 1 TB / Samsung 8TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung 34" 240hz 4K
Case Fractal Define R7
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME PX-1300, 1300W 80+ Platinum, Full Modular
Power supply might not be giving enough power, therefore it turns you computer off before something bad happens. Make sure all setting are on optimial in bios (default).