• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Confused by number of TMUs (NV G80)

gszpetkowski

The GPU-Z shows that my 8800 GTX has 64 TMUs, however associated TechPowerUp website indicates half of that:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/187/geforce-8800-gtx.html

Moreover, I think that both numbers might be incorrect. According to reference from NVIDIA's domain the G80 has only eight TMUs (Texture Mapping Units). Each of such unit is associated with two multiprocessors, that compose a TPC (eight clusters in total). Each TMU consist of:

• four Texture Addressing Units (TA)
  • eight Texture Filtering Units (TF)

Hence, 64 would mean number of TFs and 32 number of TAs. Is that right?

References:
ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/cuda/seminar/TDCI_Arch.pdf (page 54)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_mapping_unit

Attachments

• 8800gtx.gif
    8800gtx.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 982
Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
GPU-Z is right, TPU gpudb has an error to fix ... you should report it by clicking "Report an error" on the site

The "correct" number of TMUs is 8.

Texturing

G80

Every 2 SMs connect to a TMU (Texture Mapping Unit)

8 TMUs in total

Each TMU contains 4 TA (Texture

Addressing) and 8 TF (Texture Filtering)
ftp://download.nvidia.com/developer/cuda/seminar/TDCI_Arch.pdf

TMU = 4 Texture Addressors + 8 Texture Filters

64 is completely wrong. And represents only the number of Texture Filters. Texture filtering is only part of what a TMU handles. Hence...GPU-Z is wrong! But it would be just as "inaccurate" to state 96(32 TAs + 64 TFs).

Though, 32 is closer to the truth. If we limit the meaning of the term "Mapping" to "locating texture mapped pixel coordinates in 3D space". For which the 32 Texture Addressors could be used. However, this doesn't meet the full definition of a TMU's function. Which also includes texture filtering operations.

Last edited:

gszpetkowski

GPU-Z is right, TPU gpudb has an error to fix ... you should report it by clicking "Report an error" on the site

Is it correct that definition of Texture Mapping Unit has changed between GT200 and Fermi? There is some discrepancy between those pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_200_series#GeForce_200_Series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_series#Products

The former states that number of TMUs is the same as number TFs (thus 80 for GTX 280 and 64 for G80), however the latter page uses number of TAs instead, thus only 64 TMUs in the fully-enabled GF100 (rather than 256).

The "correct" number of TMUs is 8.

Thanks for clear and definitive answer. I have also asked at NVIDIA's developer forum. Hopefully, they'll provide some answer as well.

Do you know how can I supply a bug report for GPU-Z?

Last edited:
It's about the most confusingly misworded conundrum I've ever come across. That's for certain. Who gets the right to determine the definition of a TMU, much less change it to mean something else? Who the hell knows I guess? I do comprehend the English language very well. And I tend to stick to the most widely accepted meanings of terms/words. Which would be that a TMU performs the functions of BOTH addressing and filtering textures. Regardless of the numbers of those components/parts comprising the unit as a whole. That's the only thing that makes any sense to me. It's not a TAU or a TFU...it's a TMU!!! AND IT MUST, AS A WHOLE/UNIT, BE CAPABLE OF HANDLING BOTH TEXTURE ADDRESSING AND TEXTURE FILTERING!!!

But whatever...I'm probably wrong. I just like pretending that I'm smart enough to figure it all out. When, in fact, I'm usually "only smart enough to get myself into a whole lot of trouble". :D

GPU-Z bug report? No...I haven't a clue.

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
By posting here you reported it.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It's about the most confusingly misworded conundrum I've ever come across. That's for certain. Who gets the right to determine the definition of a TMU, much less change it to mean something else? Who the hell knows I guess?
Yeah, it successfully confused me :shadedshu: